Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,213,865 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some neighborhoods to look at that are similar to the west end, but cheaper?
We really fell in love with this area and the downtown vibe filled with history. The prices are just way out of the range we will look in, with all of the updated homes starting around 350k. We can afford that, but we are trying to downsize right now into a smaller home and dont need to paying all that extra cash for a huge 4+ bedroom home. Do any smaller homes ever come onto the market there - smaller homes on the pretty streets? The lack of garages is another concern, since we have 3 cars. I did see some of the areas branched off into streets with ranch homes, and I absolutely hate ranches.

Outside of the near west, or northwest end, where should we look? It is so hard to find your way around, being from out of town and driving in circles. We cannot contact a realtor yet, because it may be several months until we can move and I dont want to waste their time this early-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Check out Ardmore. It's a large downtown neighborhood near Baptist hospital. There is a wide range of houses there, from large Victorian to small craftsman style. You should be able to find something more in line with your needs.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
We really fell in love with this area and the downtown vibe filled with history....
It is so hard to find your way around, being from out of town and driving in circles.
We cannot contact a realtor yet, because it may be several months until we can move...
Don't be in a rush to buy.
Plan to rent for your first year and then take your time to look as a local.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 AM

60 posts, read 131,310 times
We just bought in Ardmore and saw quite a few homes during our search. Some impressions:

* An updated home will likely be in the range of $250k-300k, depending upon size, location, etc.
* A fair number of homes have one car garages and/or off street parking. A few have more than a one car garage, but it seems uncommon.
* Typical size range seems to be roughly 1,400-2,200 sq ft.
* There are plenty of pretty streets, though I am not partial to the busier streets like Hawthorne.
* You will find quite a few bungalows and some ranches, but there are also quite a few multi-story homes.
* Age of homes seems to range from the 1920s-1950s.

Overall, it's a very nice historic neighborhood with easy access to downtown amenities. I suspect you would be able to find something that fits your needs. Here is a website with some additional details: Ardmore Neighborhood Association

edit: I found a nice overview of Ardmore architectural styles: http://www.ardmore.ws/wp-content/upl...CHITECTURE.pdf

Last edited by CNYLion; 04-01-2013 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: adding a link

Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Thank you all! The lack of garages seems to be the biggest challenge. Here in the north we have a 4 car garage. 3 car garages are even very common. We sold off our 4th vehicle, but my husband cannot depart with his sports car that keeps us at 3. I have noticed that many homes down there have no garage at all or car ports which is a huge detriment for us.

Are there no other nice historical neighborhoods with smaller homes, other than Ardmore? Just trying to broaden our horizons as much a possible for a search.

I am also wondering if these near-west areas are notorious for anything like high taxes, etc, that we should be aware of?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 PM

I think it will be difficult to find a 3-car garage in any W-S historic neighborhood. Most of the historic neighborhoods were being built before there were multi-car families, and coupled with the milder climate, multi-car garages weren't really necessary. Here are a couple more areas that you might consider, but again I'm not sure you'll find any 3-car garages there:

Washington Park
Buena Vista (most houses here are relatively expensive, but you may find a few in your range)
West Salem

Here's some info that may help:
Winston-Salem Monthly » Welcome to the Neighborhood

Regarding your taxes question, the property tax rate is the same for everyone inside the city limit.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks arbyunc. Great article. Wish I could get all of the pics to load.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Thanks arbyunc. Great article. Wish I could get all of the pics to load.

Yeah, the photos wouldn't load for me either. Perhaps they've been taken down. Anyway, you can always use Google street view to check out any of these neighborhoods.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM

18 posts, read 36,986 times
Just a thought--we hated ranches too until we rented one for a year and then started house-hunting in Winston. Turns out an updated ranch got us the most bang for our buck, including an oversized 2 car garage. Our neighborhood isn't super historic and it's not somewhere where you can walk to restaurants but it is a lovely, quiet place with beautiful large trees and friendly people. The houses are all from the 50s or 60s. Many of them are being bought up for low prices, updated, and then resold easily. It's in North Winston and called Town and Country.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Thanks, wstr. I will check that area out.

I did cruise through a few west end ranch neighborhoods and noticed a lot of big old Buicks and Cadillacs at each house. They kind of reminded me of retirement communities. Hopefully I can make it back soon to check things out in person again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point