U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times

Advertisements

councilman Matheny said a new office building in downtown Greensboro is likely in the upcoming months. While the proposed building would only be two to four stories, it would be the first office building built downtown in years. Its a sign the downtown office market is on the rebound and a new era of midrise/highrise office projects could be around the corner. Matheny said a second office project is in the works and could be announced this summer.

News-Record.com : Matheny: New office building likely for downtown

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-12-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Interesting considering BB&T(?) recently vacated their downtown office and the newest building downtown (formerly Bin 33) has never leased it's upper level spaces.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 PM

In this case a company wants to build an office building downtown. This doesn't sound like a multi-tenant office project. Its likely an existing company in Greensboro. I wonder if it could be NewBridge Bank? The current corporate headquarters is on the west side of the city. I've always believed that the corporate headquarters of a bank belongs downtown. Greensboro's other bank (Carolina Bank) moved its corporate headquarters downtown a while ago. I'm also very curious about the second downtown office project thats in the works. It will be interesting to see if thats also a small office project or something larger.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM

It troubles me when an area has empty space and someone comes along and builds more empty space. I wonder if this is the construction site and Murrow & Lindsay?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It troubles me when an area has empty space and someone comes along and builds more empty space. I wonder if this is the construction site and Murrow & Lindsay?
Matheny said this project would be located near Greene Street. The Murrow/Lindsay site has already been announced as the location for a new state credit union. The two projects Matheny is referring to hasn't been announced yet.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Matheny said this project would be located near Greene Street. The Murrow/Lindsay site has already been announced as the location for a new state credit union. The two projects Matheny is referring to hasn't been announced yet.
Because the one on W Market is too far away? I thought that site would be perfect for the PAC. Doze the former dealership, one building, instead of 6.
I wonder if the site on the corner of Commerce & Bellameade is what Matheny is talking about?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM

the site is certainly big enough for a PAC with parking. However it would be a bit of a walk to all the restaurants on Elm St.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM

I thought about the Commerce & Bellemeade site but does Elon University own that site for future law school expansion?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
"New commercial buildings downtown are rare. This would be only the second multi-story commercial building in more than decade."

Wow, really? I know Greensboro tends to go more for manufacturing/logistical stuff, but I didn't know that downtown commercial construction was almost nonexistent. And I guess the more white-collar stuff that does come to the city tends to be more along the lines of back office operations which usually locates in the 'burbs.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM

no not "back office" operations. There is plenty of commercial/office construction in Greensboro. Its just been pretty rare for downtown over the past 10 years or so and most of the city's major corporate headquarters are not located downtown. Now we have 3 downtown office projects in the works counting the new state credit union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point