U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,020 times

Advertisements

So my wife, my 2 daughters and I are leaving NY where we have just adopted the hammer and sickle as our new state flag to move to NC. My wife and I are looking to rent when we come down for a short time before buying a home and are looking for a countryish (probably not a word) setting away from a city setting and good schools and very low crime. I would prefer a garage to put my car in being it is like another daughter to me but not absolute. We would prefer a area extremely low crime area with good schools above anything else for our daughters that are 3 and 5 years old. A few other small questions are: How are the bugs/pest problems down there?, Whats weather like through the year?, whats the job situation like?, what are areas to stay away from? I have more questions but cant think of them at the moment :-p. Thank you to anyone that can help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Most areas outside of the city limit have fairly low crime so I can't think of any place to tell you to stay away from. Garages are pretty common around here so it is a matter of how many and finding what you like.
Bugs are bugs, mosquitoes in the summer tend to vary in severity depending on the previous winter. It is strongly recommended any outdoor pets be on a heartworm preventative. Old homes are suseptible(sp?) to termites, but a termite inspection is part of the home purchasing process.
We tend to have 4 distinct seasons lasting about the same amount of time so if you don't like one wait 3 months and try another.
Winter here is generally mild with the exception being about every 8-10 years we get a couple of "north" type winters then it's back to normal until the next cycle.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
I wouldn't move anywhere right now without a job in place. Unemployment is still plenty high in the Triad.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM

26 posts, read 34,540 times
We are thinking of retiring to the Winston area from Ct..and have friends in the area. I have been concentrating on the 27106 zip code, and have checked realtor.com for the past tear, and have made three trips down...husband hasnt come yet !! We're from Ct. It seems like a nice place and
the home prices are great!

Claire

Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 AM

4 posts, read 3,021 times
I found these two sites when I started looking for homes in the Asheboro area, and they give you a nice snapshot of things.
Jesse Wharton,Elementary School,Guilford County, North Carolina

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

They showed me that Asheboro looked like a pretty good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point