Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,347 times

Advertisements

So I know there is this ongoing Greensboro vs Winston-Salem debate, but I'm wondering which would be best for me. So here's some info about me. I'm a female, 25 years old, single, have a small dog. I'm going to be a graduate student at UNCG starting this Fall. I'll probably be there for three years. I don't mind the 30 minute commute at all, in fact I prefer to have a little driving time. I want to live downtown and not close to downtown, but actually in downtown.

So the things I have questions about (in addition to any general thoughts or advice):
Better for making new friends?
Better as a single?
Better for dogs?
Better downtown housing options?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
I prefer Winston and make the commute every day, but I will say that Greensboro is also great, and if you'll be in grad school, I would HIGHLY recommend living closer. If I had lived half an hour from my own graduate program, I would have been miserable and wouldn't have gotten as much out of it. Living closer lets you remain engaged with outside-of-class programming directly related to your program, plus lots of activity not related to your program (concerts, lectures, etc.). Also, chances are you'll connect with people in your program socially, so living in another town would be a pain.

If I didn't have reasons to live in Winston while working in Greensboro, I would't. Like I say, I prefer it slightly, but even if the drive wasn't a pain (and it does get old...), the two cities have a lot in common and you could be very happy either place. In your case, I'd say Greensboro, hands down.

(Oh, and the "rivalry" thing is kind of overblown. Outside of this forum, most people don't seem to really care.)

Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
^ Agreed. I prefer Winston-Salem too, but there's nothing wrong with Greensboro and IMO it makes no sense to commute if you don't have to. That's a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle in addition to the cost of gas.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,457 times
Yeah, don't make that commute every day. Both downtowns have housing, nightlife and community events, and parks for your pets.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
If you are in Greensboro, Id stay in Greensboro. What you can find in Winston, you can find in Greensboro. If you were in Winston Id say stay in Winston. There are a number of urban living option in the downtown Greensboro area. You can choose downtown apartments, nice student housing on the edge of downtown or get a room mate and rent one of the gorgeous historic urban homes in neighborhoods like College Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point