U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,185,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 PM

302 posts, read 536,988 times
I'm sure the reason the city opted for a deserted and lonely shot was to really convey to the viewer how the amphitheater was configured with the seating and the stage area left without people blocking those features. Not for the reason to make the place look deserted, and unused.

This downtown park, along with the adjacent Sawtooth Center, is featured with photos in a book called The Powers of Preservation New Life for Urban Historic Places, by Arthur Cotton Moore, c1998, McGraw-Hill Co. with featured articles of other examples of urban renewal all across the country. Winston Square was one of the first examples in the South of downtown parks made from what were virtual parking lots in the late 70's. And Sawtooth was innovative for it's time for being a cultural center made from a renovated textile mill, garage, & former Cadillac showroom by the oldest arts council in America. The park was included in the design by turning a barren parking lot into a central park by the city.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:32 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,673,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yes, it's on Marshall Street, just off 4th Street and next to the Sawtooth Building. I don't know the details, but in summers it's used. They have held the Thursday night summer concert series there in the past few years. They also used to have lunchtime concerts once or twice per week, but that was years ago and I don't know if they still do that since I don't work downtown anymore. I occasionally hear of things going on there but I haven't seen anything recently. I'm sure there will be more going on now that the weather is warming up.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that the name of it is Winston Square Park, so you should look for that when scanning the events calendars.
Aren't they converting some old Reynolds buildings near 52 to a new Amphitheatre?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM

32 posts, read 52,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Aren't they converting some old Reynolds buildings near 52 to a new Amphitheatre?
I think you are talking about the area around Bailey Power Plant. There is currently a decent sized "green space" at the corner of Patterson/Vine and 4th St. I have heard of plans for amphitheater here but have never seen anything other than some renderings.

The Park at Bailey Green is a name I've seen, but it could end up being just about anytihng I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point