U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,960 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband may be transferred to Greensboro and I was wondering if there were any nearby areas (about a 30 min drive or so from Greensboro) that are similar to where we live now. I'm hoping to find a town or fringe-suburb that has several of the following qualities which my current town has:

1. 5,000 - 17,000 population: Not too big, a little elbow room
2. If pop. of 5,000 - Still has some basic services, like a place to get groceries, a haircut, a cold beer and a nice bite to eat (which could mean just a place that has an awesome burger or BBQ)
3. Access to housing which isn't crowded cookie-cutter subdivion (every house is grey, beiege or taupe and is 20 feet from its neighbor). Ideal would be 2 - 3 bedroom on a half acre minimum for around $150K
4. Neighborly feel

Pluses:
-Not strip-mall haven
-a cool old fashioned downtown - even if tiny. I'd take a town square with a paviliion and 1 gas station over a paved-over Wallmart anyday.
-Closeby access (about 30 min) to somewhere I can kayak

Not important:
Nightclubs, tons of resaturants. We can drive into G'boro on weekends for that.
Schools (no kids ... we are a dog family)

If you know of a place like this, feel free to tell me what you like best about it yourself! Thanks in advance!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,248,639 times
Try Jamestown (Guilford County).

Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
You might want to check out Kernersville...it's pretty much in the center of the Triad with accessabilty to all 3 major cities. Kernersville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 AM

60 posts, read 111,948 times
Default re: Kernersville

Bistro B is a really nice restaurant/wine bar in town. I've eaten there a few times and have enjoyed the extensive selection of tapas/small plates. It's worth checking out.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,972,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Try Jamestown (Guilford County).
Does Jamestown really have a downtown, though?

I agree that Kernesrville is worth a look. It clocks in at just over 17,000 but has a nice small-town style Main Street.

Randleman is worth a look, although it's further away than other towns mentioned. (about 20-25 minutes)

Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
As much as I like my area (Wallburg), I'd have to vote for Kernersville as well, based on OP's criteria. But I don't know the prices for homes on at least 1/2 acre - depends on how nice a home, I guess.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM

32 posts, read 52,638 times
You might try Stokesdale. Pretty rural, but very convenient to Belews Lake area for kayaking. "Downtown" might be stretching it but Main St is probably adequate for the OP's needs (one gas station and a pavilion). I imagine real estate prices might be a little more reasonable too?

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
I thought of Stokesdale also...and don't know why, but also the little hamlet of Germanton. It has small village flavour, history, and a winery closeby. The commute to Gso would not be out of the question.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 PM

10,560 posts, read 4,407,936 times
With the widening of I-85 Salisbury is only about 40min from Greensboro. Look to the northern parts of Rowan and the Southern parts of Davidson counties. High Rock lake has lakefront properties that are for sale, building lots as well as homes on the lake with docks. This will enable to get to 3 great cities Greensboro, Winston and Charlotte.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
While Kernersville has a nice little downtown, it seems to be becoming a sprawling suburb of Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Kernersville recently annexed into Guilford County and is not to far from the city limits of Greensboro. More and more big box retail and retail strips have been popping up in Kernersville over the past 10 years. Also Kernersville goes over the population range that you mentioned. The city has over 23,000 people. However Kernersville is still a nice town in my book.

Greensboro's bedroom community of Stokesdale tops the list for me. Its small and has that Mayberry style "Main Street". Its far enough away from the sprawl, traffic and noise, yet its a close enough drive to Greensboro. There are even some parts of Stokesdale where small mountains are visible. Stokesdale has topography like Winston-Salem with rolling hills. Stokesdale is also not in any hurry to grow and town leaders want to keep the small community atmosphere. It was a big reason Stokesdale incorporated, so it wouldn't be annexed by Greensboro.

Another suggestion is Reidsville. Its about 15 minutes north of Greensboro in Rockingham County (halfway between Greensboro and the Virginia state line). It too has a Mayberry style "Main Street". But Stokesdale still tops my list mainly because of its location and beautiful landscape.

Stokesdale population (2010 census) 5,047
picture of Stokesdale
http://www.springdalesubdivision.web...Stokesdale.JPG

Reidsville population (2010 census) 14,520
picture of Reidsville
http://www.ci.reidsville.nc.us/flash_banner/RDC/034.jpg

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-02-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point