U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM

60 posts, read 112,054 times

Advertisements

Curious about how bike friendly the area is...are there adequate bike racks throughout downtown, are the roads/paths reasonably safe, etc.?

We'll be living in Ardmore and I would like to get around town primarily on my bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,089,977 times
I'd say it's a C+ to B-, but getting better. There are bike racks here and there, but not as many as we should have. There have been a lot of discussions and plans for improving "bike-ability", some of which have been implemented--here's a link with more info, including links to bike routes in the city:

City of Winston-Salem, NC :: Biking

Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Good stuff...thanks.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM

No problem. I should also mention that there are a lot of great places to ride if you're into more than just biking the neighborhood. Tanglewood Park offers both mountain bike trails and road riding. The Salem Lake Trail is a good ride. There are some really nice country roads, especially in the western part of the county. The bike shops sponsor rides frequently--check Mock Orange Bikes, Clemmons Bike Shop, and Paul's Cycling.

And there are a few rails-to-trails rides that are within a couple of hours drive--Railroad Grade Road near Boone, the New River Trail and the Virginia Creeper Trail (google for details), in addition to a number of more challenging rides, especially in the mountains. You can google "NC bike trails" to find them.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
It's funny. "Cycling" as a sport is big in Winston. The full deal with the shorts and all. However, you don't see as many people just pedaling around for transportation.

I think that boils down to the fact that it's hilly in Winston, so it's not the easiest thing in the world to get around by bike. I think that's why the "cyclists" love it and the people just trying to go crab a coffee don't so much.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the additional info...hills shouldn't be an issue, though I will have to get my legs back into shape (it's been a few years since I cycled much).

I will definitely check out the trails at Tanglewood and Salem Lake.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
The cool think about Salem Lake, too, is that it links up to the Salem Creek Greenway, which runs from Salem Lake all the way to Washington Park. From downtown, you can take the Strollway or ride through Old Salem, hook up with the Greenway, and head all the way out to Salem Lake, around, and back again. There's a map of the WS greenways here: WS Greenways

Granted, this is more leisure riding, but it's still nice to have.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM

13 posts, read 17,767 times
Would you recommend shopping for a specific type of bike for Winston's topography, or will just about anything do if you're in shape?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geclarke View Post
Would you recommend shopping for a specific type of bike for Winston's topography, or will just about anything do if you're in shape?

You don't need anything special, but of course it all depends on the type of riding you plan to do. If you only do road biking, and never off-road, then a road bike is the best choice. But for most people, some type of hybrid is best because they're fine for roads but they also give you the option of taking unpaved trails and even light-duty mountain bike trails. A pure road bike will hardly function on an unpaved surface because of the thin tires, while a pure mountain bike will take you anywhere off-road but you'll work harder on paved surfaces because of the wider tires, heavier construction, and lower gear ranges. So if you plan (or want the ability) to do both types of riding (which most people will), then go for a hybrid or comfort bike.

Best bet is to visit a good bike shop and let them help you figure out what makes sense for your budget and the type of riding you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point