Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM

13 posts, read 20,798 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to be a graduate student at Wake Forest University next summer, and I'm trying to estimate living expenses. How easy will it to be to get by with a bike and public transportation in Winston? It may be possible to bring a car, but I want to avoid the expense as long as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
It's possible to function without a car, but you'll be more restricted in what you're able to do. The bus routes offer pretty good coverage of the city, but outlying areas and suburbs aren't well-served. Unfortunately commuter biking is not that popular so many of the main roads do not have bike lanes. There are a number of designated bike routes, but they're more for leisure riding and not necessarily designed to get you from one place to another by the fastest route. Not saying it can't be done, but you'll probably often wish you had a car.

Here's a link to the bus routes:

Winston-Salem Transit Authority | Routes and Maps

And here's a link to the bike routes:

City of Winston-Salem, NC :: Bike Routes

Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
You may find yourself using zipcars and taxis more often than you want to.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 AM

97 posts, read 315,434 times
Born and raised in Winston, lived there for years after I was an adult and now live in High Point. I love Winston and still do most of my business there so I know the city. Having said all that, I would never recommend anyone try to live in Winston without a car.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times
Being a WFU student can help somewhat because you have the Wake Line.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
It'd be one thing if WFU was right downtown, but it isn't. Winston's bus system is better than some peer communities, but like most southern cities, it experienced a whole lot of development with cars in mind.

As a sidenote, it would be really amazing if the old streetcar system still remained. I know that there was talk of a new light rail system of some form last year, but I think that's pretty much dead. Not that I think Winston needs or wants light rail, but it's interesting to hear about the old streetcars carrying passengers from West End to the Reynolds tobacco lofts back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point