U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,256 times

Advertisements

We have been living in our home a year now. The owner of the home and the landlord are telling us two different things. When we moved in, we were told that if we wanted a pet we would have to pay a pet deposit as well as pet rent each month. Long story short, husband bought me a dog for Valentines Day and when we called the landlord to inform them so that the lease could be re-done, they stated the owner did not allow pets. Well, we kept the pet and paid the deposit when I raised hell with them. We went to renew our lease a wek ago. The lease renewal states we can have a dog and at the time of renewal we informed the landlord we had to put our puppy to sleep due to an unforeseen illness. However, we informed her we were getting a new dog. After the lease had been signed, they did their inspection and told us through email we could not get a new dog because the owner of the house said so. This was done through SLT Properties. Im pretty sure though that because we have a signed copy of the lease that says we have a pet we are right in doing this correct? Please correct me if Im wrong but I didnt think you could make changes to a lease after it has been signed and I am tired of arguing with SLT on it. Where can I find it documented no lease changes after it has been signed so I can get this resolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 PM

28,522 posts, read 62,253,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzKBailey View Post
We have been living in our home a year now.
The owner of the home and the landlord are telling us two different things.
What was/is in writing on your original lease?

Quote:
Well, we kept the pet and paid the deposit when I raised hell with them.
We went to renew our lease a week ago.
The lease renewal states...
How *exactly* does it state what?

Quote:
Where can I find it documented no lease changes after it has been signed so I can get this resolved?
Leases get changed after they are signed all the time.
It's in what the lease allows for changing (and how).

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,256 times
To answer your questions, the original lease states when and if pet is purchased, a pet deposit and pet rent would be required. I have a copy of that as well. But once husband bought dog, they re-wrote the lease to show we had a pet an the deposit amount as well as pet rent amount.
When we renewed a few months later, the renewal lease front page says rent :$860 (850 for rent $10 fee for dog) it also states we have a dog and we paid a $99 deposit
And in the lease we have I just read it does not have any where that would show addendums being made after lease signing. Is there a particular place I need to be looking for that?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,794,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzKBailey View Post
To answer your questions, the original lease states when and if pet is purchased, a pet deposit and pet rent would be required. I have a copy of that as well. But once husband bought dog, they re-wrote the lease to show we had a pet an the deposit amount as well as pet rent amount.
When we renewed a few months later, the renewal lease front page says rent :$860 (850 for rent $10 fee for dog) it also states we have a dog and we paid a $99 deposit
And in the lease we have I just read it does not have any where that would show addendums being made after lease signing. Is there a particular place I need to be looking for that?
Friend I would look for another place to live

Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 14,064 times
Your posts are somewhat confusing, but from what I read the lease includes pets so you should be OK.

I think the problem here is miscommunication between the property owner and the property manager. SLT is probably using a lease template that should've been modified to exclude pet(s).

You should show SLT the lease agreement with the pet verbiage and leave it to them to work out the issue with the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point