U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 7,204 times

Advertisements

I have a 7 year old Goodman 2 ton split system with the condenser unit outside and the furnace/air handler in the attic. I was having problems with the AC blowing out warm air. So I called a local HVAC repairman (don't know if I should say the name) and he said that I was out of freon. He called it r-22. I know very little about HVAC. Anway he filled it up with 7 pounds of freon and charged me $600. That was 3 weeks ago. Now it's blowing out warm air again. I went up in the attic where the furnace is and there was ice on the coils. I turned the thermostat off. I called the guy back. Now he says I have a leak and he wants $1,500 to find the leak and plug it. But he says that he could replace it with a better unit for $5-6,000 since he is a Carrier dealer. The unit is only 7 years old. Is $1,500 reasonable to find the leak? Should I get a new HVAC system? Can anyone recommend an honest, reliable HVAC company? I would really appreciate all responses. I am burning up here!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,487 times
Call HH Hovey. Very honest and dependable.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 PM

54 posts, read 145,367 times
Goodman is a good unit. They don't do any advertising but word of mouth. 7 years is barely broken in. So yah, unfortunately R-22 is expensive. 7 Pounds @ cost is around 350-400 dollars so he didn't gouge you too bad on the refill but that amount is almost for a total charge. You could replace it with a non-r-22 unit but that is a lot of money to dump.

Find someone who will find the leak and patch it up for you. Normally it will be out at the unit itself where things are joined together or where your condenser is inside (you said your attic).

$1500 is pretty steep to just find a leak... But be aware you may have to charge up the system again w/ R-22. First guy should have checked for a leak after just filling it up if it truly needed 7 pounds of R-22.

Also, to keep your AC running good, you need to be cleaning the unit outside out every couple years and the condenser upstairs.

I would say find a good AC company, have them fix the leak and also clean the unit out for you. Then if they are nice have them come out and check it out in a year or so to make sure everything is still OK.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 AM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewies View Post
I have a 7 year old Goodman 2 ton split system...
Even a Goodman should last longer than seven years.
Quote:
Anyway he filled it up with 7 pounds of freon and charged me $600.
That was 3 weeks ago. Now it's blowing out warm air again.
...says that he could replace it with a better unit for $5-6,000...
1) Get a second opinion on the leak.
2) The reason to replace is to get away from the R22 freon.
(very expensive, no longer used in new installs, long story)

If/when you do the job... that number is probably fine.
Get a second and third quote before committing.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-05-2013 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 03:18 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewies View Post
I have a 7 year old Goodman 2 ton split system with the condenser unit outside and the furnace/air handler in the attic. I was having problems with the AC blowing out warm air. So I called a local HVAC repairman (don't know if I should say the name) and he said that I was out of freon. He called it r-22. I know very little about HVAC. Anway he filled it up with 7 pounds of freon and charged me $600. That was 3 weeks ago. Now it's blowing out warm air again. I went up in the attic where the furnace is and there was ice on the coils. I turned the thermostat off. I called the guy back. Now he says I have a leak and he wants $1,500 to find the leak and plug it. But he says that he could replace it with a better unit for $5-6,000 since he is a Carrier dealer. The unit is only 7 years old. Is $1,500 reasonable to find the leak? Should I get a new HVAC system? Can anyone recommend an honest, reliable HVAC company? I would really appreciate all responses. I am burning up here!! Thanks.
Three weeks to lose nearly all the refridgerant is not a leak, it's a hole. The leak could be anywhere, but being the unit is not too old I would opt to repair and make sure you get a warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point