U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 PM

33 posts, read 64,624 times

Advertisements

I've always found this forum to be a great help and am turning to you, once again. We are relocating from Florida to the Greensboro area. We have viewed real estate within an hour's commute from there and have narrowed it down to two properties. We love log homes and acreage and our son has two more years of high school (so the school system is still somewhat important). We also want to consider the importance of the resale value of a property, as well as the overall safety of a community. We like privacy, but still want to be able to access stores and medical care without too much trouble. We found a beautiful home in Kernersville (East Forsyth High School) and a home in Reidsville (Reidsville High School) and simply cannot come to a mutual decision on which one we should attempt to purchase. We would sincerely love to hear any feedback anyone might have on either of those two communities which would help us in our decision-making. Thank you so much for any advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
If those were my two choices I would take Kernersville over anything in Reidsville due to it's proximity to Greensboro & Winston and overall being a nicer city.
My job has me covering Rockingham county and I can't say there is anything in that place that would make want to move there, including Reidsville & Eden. Both cities suffered when textiles moved overseas and have never recovered. The general populous appears to be uneducated, poor, and old. To be in that city is to step back in time 50 years, I can't drive out of there fast enough.
This is my general opinion.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Thank you for your post and your honest help! It's truly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 PM

3,865 posts, read 6,657,887 times
Kernersville hands down. I agree with WFW&P. You mention resale value, and again Kernersville all the way... much better economy and growth prospects than Reidsville. I understand being torn between two particular properties, but there's just no contest between the two communities. Best wishes for an uneventful relocation and smooth transition!!!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Thank you! We sincerely appreciate the insight!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Another vote for Kernersville. Its location makes amenities in both Greensboro and Winston-Salem easily available to you, and as mentioned above the resale potential is much better.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 PM

Thank you! I'm beginning to wonder if Reidsville had any "positives" to offer....

Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvtn View Post
Thank you! I'm beginning to wonder if Reidsville had any "positives" to offer....
I'm sure it does because people do live there, but it really depends what you are looking to get out of where you relocate. I don't like that type of living and I have not seen anything impressive with the place.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,012,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvtn View Post
I think it depends on how much of a priority you place on liking privacy and being rural. If more of your priority is on that and an overall slightly slower pace of life, then Reidsville (or at least areas near but outside of Reidsville) may actually have some benefit over Kernersville simply because it's economy isn't in as good a shape as Kernersville and so it isn't as likely to grow as Kernersville, at least in the short to mid term. A rural area in Kernersville has much less of a chance staying that way in 10 or 20 years compared to a rural area in Reidsville.

But like others have said, Kernersville will give you a more central location, better shopping, probably a better chance of your home appreciating in value (depending on the exact location/neighborhood), better access to medical care, etc. If you value being close to the amenities as much or more than a rustic/rural location, I'd go with Kernersville. Safety will depend on the specific location but I think Kernersville overall is probably a little better in that regard as well just because Reidsville is generally more economically disadvantaged. I can't speak to the schools at either place. Good luck with wherever you choose.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-08-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 AM

You all are great! Thank you so much for your insights! Every bit it so very much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point