U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM

90 posts, read 172,526 times

Advertisements

Had the interview yesterday, and I feel like it went really well. I should find out if I got it or not in 2-3 weeks, and I would anticipate needing around 2 weeks to put in a notice at my current job, pack belongings, etc. Managed to hang around downtown afterwards to check out the apartments/lofts that I found online.

Nissen Building - Very nice, but I couldn't take a tour of a unit because all of them are currently occupied. Apparently there is also a waitlist. I'm guessing this may not be an option for us, but anything could change in the next month I suppose

Gallery Lofts - These were quite nice as well. The lady on staff was very personable and the rooms are quite spacious with nice appliances/granite countertops/etc. No pool, but does have a nice rooftop hangout spot. I think there were only 2 units that would be available, so it may not be an option.

Winston Factory Lofts - I think I was overall more impressed with these. They seem to be quite similar to the Gallery Lofts, but seemed to have the best amenities (pool, theater, more gym space/equipment, etc.). They also have lots of availability coming up in the next few months.

Piedmont Lofts - Closest to job, but definitely aren't as impressive as Gallery/Winston Factory. The unit I toured had a MASSIVE amount of space, but I'm a little concerned about heating/AC with how warm it was (I think it was the top floor though).

Hilltop House - Probably the least impressed with these, but still seemed decent and the surrounding area appeared to be nice. Had only 1 bedrooms available and didn't expect any vacancies w/ 2 bedrooms the rest of the year, so I think these are out.

Before I departed, I went to the visitors center and got more information on rentals & such. I think there may be some rental agencies I can contact for home rentals, so I may check that out as well. I didn't get to drive through any of the Ardmore/West End areas, but we may come back to scope the area out if we have the time. Also, ate at Hutch & Harris and had the Bistro Salmon Sandwich and Sweet Potato fries----it was really good. The Rush gym downtown also seems to be spacious and has decent rates, but am still concerned how busy it may be before & after normal work hours.

Overall, I enjoyed my day trip to downtown Winston Salem and can definitely tell a LOT has changed since I spent time there in the early 90s. You can definitely tell the area is in an upswing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 AM

So I ended up getting the job, so it looks like we will be moving to the area in a few weeks! As you can see above, I did scope out a few potential lofts/apartments downtown, but I'd also like to get some house rental recommendations (good rental agencies or any useful links to browse current openings), preferably close to downtown, Ardmore, or West End.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Try Ogburn Properties, TE Johnson, Baldwin Properties or just check out Craigslist. There are quite a few independent landlords that do a lot of their business through Craigslist and simple "For Rent" signs.

Ardmore properties tend to be heavily influenced by the residency schedules at the local hospitals, so lots of properties turn over during the late spring and summer. Being the "off season", you might not have as many places to choose from, but you shouldn't have quite as much competition for a great house. That said, you may be better off calling the rental agencies directly rather than relying on what they post online.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 AM

32 posts, read 52,674 times
Congratulations on landing your new "gig". Not sure you are still looking, but I live in a condo building at West End Village (corner of 4th & Broad). I am pretty sure there are a couple of units for rent in the building, one is a two bedroom, one is a one bedroom. If you are interested, I can get you some phone numbers off the bulletin board in the lobby.

This is a smaller building, with a mix of owner-occupied and tenant occupied condos. The units aren't huge but they are efficient and, IMO, the location is perfect for downtown. I may be biased of course :-)

I think both are priced around $1,000 a month. Our building does not have a gym or any public spaces (unless you count a small courtyard with community grill) but my wife and I enjoy living here. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM

^Sure, I'll take some phone numbers!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,748,091 times
I really like the West End area. Looked with my daughter there after she grad from UNCSA.

West End Historic District: "Winston-Salem's Front Porch"

Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Well, looks like we found our new apartment! By some chance, there was actually an opening at the Nissen Building (which was completely full with a waitlist 2 weeks ago). Still have to fill out paperwork & take care of fees, but happy to finally have a place to call home!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Hey, congrats on the job, and on finding a place to stay. I know a couple of people who used to live in the Nissen Bldg, and they loved it there (both have moved on due to growing families). Hope you enjoy living in Winston-Salem. I think it's a great combination of small-town atmosphere and plenty of attractions, and even moreso when you consider all the fun and interesting things that can be found within a hour or so drive (like the mountains, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc.).

Welcome to the Triad!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 PM

97 posts, read 191,507 times
I would suggest downtown Winston-Salem or the Historic West End (within walking distance of downtown). Good Luck. Moved to the Winston-Salem area from Charlotte about 22 months ago and love the slower pace. Winston-Salem has everything you need except nightlife.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
I would suggest downtown Winston-Salem or the Historic West End (within walking distance of downtown). Good Luck. Moved to the Winston-Salem area from Charlotte about 22 months ago and love the slower pace. Winston-Salem has everything you need except nightlife.
Well... yes, it is slower paced than some places, but it looks like you live in Advance/Bermuda Run? I hope you're basing your opinion off of your time in Winston, proper. I mean, I don't do much bar-hopping myself, but Winston isn't Mayberry. There are options. (Just saying.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point