U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM

90 posts, read 172,537 times

Advertisements

It seemed like there were options that past few times we explored the downtown area. It's no Charlotte or Raleigh, but it still appears to be good enough for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpayne44 View Post
It seemed like there were options that past few times we explored the downtown area. It's no Charlotte or Raleigh, but it still appears to be good enough for us.
It's all about what you're looking for, you know? A city is what you make of it. I really don't understand why people don't spend more time looking at the upside of their chosen community.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM

97 posts, read 191,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well... yes, it is slower paced than some places, but it looks like you live in Advance/Bermuda Run? I hope you're basing your opinion off of your time in Winston, proper. I mean, I don't do much bar-hopping myself, but Winston isn't Mayberry. There are options. (Just saying.)
I can walk into Forsyth County from my house and I can drive to downtown Winston-Salem in 15 minutes...so it is not like I am far out. I love the W-S area...and I hang around downtown on the weekends...things are very limited in W-S & GSO for young folks..that is why many flee to Raleigh & Charlotte...just saying.

Any city is what you make of it...and I choose to love the Triad...if I get tired of it... I will just pick up and move...easy as 1-2-3.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
I can walk into Forsyth County from my house and I can drive to downtown Winston-Salem in 15 minutes...so it is not like I am far out. I love the W-S area...and I hang around downtown on the weekends...things are very limited in W-S & GSO for young folks..that is why many flee to Raleigh & Charlotte...just saying.

Any city is what you make of it...and I choose to love the Triad...if I get tired of it... I will just pick up and move...easy as 1-2-3.
Well, I definitely hear you, but I think that living in Winston proper gives you a slightly different view of things. Nightlife paradise? Nah, but there are options and young people taking advantage of those options.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Figured I would give an update...

So far we have really enjoyed living downtown & being so close to fantastic restaurants, bars, etc. Still have yet to sit up at the top of the Nissen for a pool day, but the gf has and she enjoyed it. It's been fun to be up there to take pictures and videos of storms rolling through! Recently hit up the City Beverage tent sale a few weekends ago, and now I feel like I could stock a full bar! We still haven't been to a few places yet (Willow's, Quiet Pint, First Street, to name a few), but will do so in due time. Really enjoy the walk-ability of the area, as walking to & around West End/Ardmore doesn't really take a whole lot of steps.

We'll probably stay in the Nissen for at least another year, but I think we are getting to the point where we're ready to settle into our first house purchase. We've walked through West End/Ardmore and have scoped out the houses for sale have made note of the realtors in charge of selling them. Noting costs through Zillow, Truila, etc., houses in these areas are easily within our price range (at least based on what we are currently paying in rent). Does anyone have any good referrals for buyer's agents or anyone in real estate that would be good for advice/suggestions, especially for us first-time home buyers? Just looking for some good advice since we are more or less clueless on the home buying process.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpayne44 View Post
Figured I would give an update...

So far we have really enjoyed living downtown & being so close to fantastic restaurants, bars, etc. Still have yet to sit up at the top of the Nissen for a pool day, but the gf has and she enjoyed it. It's been fun to be up there to take pictures and videos of storms rolling through! Recently hit up the City Beverage tent sale a few weekends ago, and now I feel like I could stock a full bar! We still haven't been to a few places yet (Willow's, Quiet Pint, First Street, to name a few), but will do so in due time. Really enjoy the walk-ability of the area, as walking to & around West End/Ardmore doesn't really take a whole lot of steps.

We'll probably stay in the Nissen for at least another year, but I think we are getting to the point where we're ready to settle into our first house purchase. We've walked through West End/Ardmore and have scoped out the houses for sale have made note of the realtors in charge of selling them. Noting costs through Zillow, Truila, etc., houses in these areas are easily within our price range (at least based on what we are currently paying in rent). Does anyone have any good referrals for buyer's agents or anyone in real estate that would be good for advice/suggestions, especially for us first-time home buyers? Just looking for some good advice since we are more or less clueless on the home buying process.
Glad to hear that things are going well. I'll send you a message with a few suggestions.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Hey MJ, thanks for taking the time to follow up on your earlier post. Too often we get questions from people planning to move here, and we never hear back from them. Good to know that you like living in this area--I do too!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:41 PM

86 posts, read 90,505 times
I am looking to move to winston in one month. I want to rent a house in a nice neighborhood. One where i don't run the risk of car and home break ins. I will be working in downtown. I don't mind a 15 to 30 minute drive. What neighborhoods should i key in on when i come to town to check out house rentals. I am looking to spend 1,100 to 1,400 a month on rent btw.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM

You should probably give us a bit more detail about yourself & what you're looking for in a neighborhood other than safety. Off the bat, I'd tell you to look at downtown apartments (for close proximity to restaurants, job, bars, entertainment, etc). But if you're 100% adamant on renting a house, then I'd suggest anything in West End/Ardmore (if you wanna be close to downtown & hate daily commuting). As for further out, I can't really help you there.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:36 PM

86 posts, read 90,505 times
i am a married 32 year old and live in raleigh right now. I will be working downtown and need to rent a house as i have a house in raleigh so i want to just move from the house i am in now to a house in or around winston. I don't mind driving so if the house is out in say clemmons, etc... I will be ok with that. I don't mind living in winston but i keep reading to stay west if in winston because the east side is not a good area. I don't have kids so i don't care about the schools. I am going to rent for a year while i learn the area and I want to live in a nice safe area that is near things like a food store and target/walmart type of places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point