Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 24,621 times

Advertisements

Hi there!!
I´m from Argentina and I´m moving to Greensboro in a few months because my husband has a new job opportunity, so we will relocate there
I´m very excited because I love USA, but I only know Florida. I saw pictures from Greensboro and It looks like the perfect place, quiet, friendly and safe.
Can you please help me with this questions? As I´m not from US there are a lot of things that I don´t know, so please, be patient with me =)

I need to know:

- Best neighborhoods to live (friendly, safe, not so far for everything)
(what is better a house or an apartment?)
- Best places to do shopping (supermakets, etc)
- Cost of living (How much do I need for month to live fine)
- How dos it cost a monthly supermarket purchase? (we are only 2 adults)
- How does it cost (monthly) a car? (insurance, gas, etc.)
- Things to do (is it close from beach?, sports?, other activities)
- Weather

Tks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS29 View Post
- How dos it cost a monthly supermarket purchase? (we are only 2 adults)
- How does it cost (monthly) a car? (insurance, gas, etc.)
- Things to do (is it close from beach?, sports?, other activities)
- Weather
I can answer only a few questions. We are two retired adults, and we spend $400-500/month on groceries. I am buying a car and pay $400/month in car payments over 5 years. The auto insurance is $800/year for 2 cars, but we do not drive for work, and are safe drivers. You can spend a lot less on a car if you buy a small economy model, maybe $225/month in car payments.

I think you can expect to pay $800-1500/month in rent depending on how large a place you want, and another $150-200/month in utility bills. I'd suggest starting out with an apartment leased for 1 year, near your husband's job. That way you can test how much it is going to cost you to live there, before you commit to a more expensive house.

The closest beach is Wrightsville, at a 3 hour drive away. It makes a good weekend trip. I think the weather is not too much different from Buenos Aires, with hot humid summers and mild winters, and about 45 inches of rain per year, and a few inches of snow. You will need light winter coats.

Good luck on the new job!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 AM

goldenage1
Thanks for your answer!, I really appreciate it, cause I as I say there are a lot of things that I don´t know as I don´t live in US.
I never thought in utility bills! Thanks for the information!

=)

Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 AM

Hi there!
Is there anyone who can give me more information about Greensboro? All information and tip is welcome
=)
thanks a lot!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:57 AM

HI!
Can anyone provide information about Greensboro, NC?
How is living there?
Acitivities
How is people? Friendly?

Pls, I need your help

Which neighborhoods are better to live?

I really appreciate if you can help me, considering I don´t live at USA

Old 07-30-2013, 03:24 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
Prepare to pay an astronomic car insurance rate. NC does not recognize driving experience outside of the US, Puerto Rico and Canada, so you will be treated like a teenager who just got her license.

I just moved out of Greensboro. There is not a lot to do to be honest, you are not really lacking anything (it qualifies as a city), but at the same time very little things are noteworthy. People are friendly, and service is fantastic everywhere.

As for neighborhoods, it really depends on what you want. Downtown and surrounding areas, as well as the areas by UNCG have some character and things to do but homes are older. The rest will be newer, but more spread out (you will need a car to do ANYTHING) and your options for going out without driving more than 15 minutes will be limited to chain restaurants and strip malls.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want specifics. Se habla español

Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 AM

Hi! Thank you so much for your response
That info is very useful
Right now I´m sending you a PM

Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,495 times
Figure I join the forum and comment a little. I have been living here since I was 6yrs old. Greensboro is more of a family and education town. There is a law School, 2 major Universities, at least one womans college. Heck I think I missed a few colleges :-).

Most new comers settle around the NorthWest Section of Greensboro.. suburban Style living :-)
New Garden Rd or , Brassfield area..

SouthWest Greensboro near Wendover Ave

Cost of living is below national avg..

If you plan on staying a good 10-15yrs. Buying a home is way cheaper then renting

Most of your cost conscious shopping can be done around Wendover ave near I-40

As far as nightlife you have downtown Elm Street about 2 miles long.. Some clubs , music , theater.

Check out Greensboro Chamber of Commerce or The visitors guide. They might be able to send you some sort of relocation guide.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:51 AM

GoldenLight, thanks a lot for the information
It´s good to hear that cost os living is below national avg.! =)

I don´t know how long I have to stay, but at first we will rent a house or an aparatament

Good idea to ask the chamber of commerce to send me info!

Tks again!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Hi there
Anyone has more information?
It´s greensboro an expensive place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point