U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 17,570 times

Advertisements

My husband and I along with our 4 children are looking on moving west of Winston-Salem area. We would love to be in Boone but its to far because we have 2 special needs children that we need to stay 45 min or 1 hour tops away from the childrens hospital. What would be the best small town for for us? Our childrens ages are 6,8,10 and 12. My husband is a teacher. We would like a small town with their own shops, parades, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM

28,482 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthenoles View Post
...west of Winston-Salem... with in 45min to 1 hour tops
...small town with its own local stores with a home town feel.
...with other young families but not a neighborhood cookie cutter town
(not being snarky, but...) and since you're well off jobs don't matter?

Can you tell us where you *have* looked and didn't choose?
At least driven through and said "er, no" to?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM

My husband is a elementary school teacher. So he will apply to the district we plan to move to or even the district next to ours and can drive up to 30 minutes. We plan to move over winter break or next summer since he wont be able to get in till then more than likely and we are just in the process of finding the right area.
We have been all over the Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham area last year and ruled it out. We just went to Boone and really liked it and now are planned on coming back up to concentrate on that area. But as I said we need to be close to a Childrens Hospital or a CF Center which is in Winston-Salem so we thought in between there and Boone might work for us.
Is there a nice town in between Boone and Winston-Salem? What the best county to live in so I can look up the school district?
Thanks

Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM

28,482 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
My husband is a elementary school teacher.
we need to be close to... which is in Winston-Salem
I'll suggest that you look no further than W-S & Forsyth County.
Human Resources / Applications & Employment Opportunities

And that you decide your home location only after the job is found.
Good Luck.

Yadkin and Davie are the next counties over

Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,182,716 times
Quote:
We would like a small town with their own shops, parades, etc. Thanks.
You won't find much in the way of regular "shopping" shops. Once a Walmart moves into the area everything else dies.

West of W-S? Clemmons, Lewisville (that's northwest of W-S, but still in the 30 minute commute). Around exit 180 on I-40. That's the Hillsdale/Bermuda Run/Advance/ Farmington area (basically covers all the compass points). There is quite a bit of convenient shopping, plus a soon-to-be complete outpost of Wake Forest Hospital.

It would kind of depend on what you are willing to pay. West of the Yadkin River, the properties become very diverse. You'll find McMansions built on the same road as run down single-wides.

Realtors in this area are used to dealing with transplants. Interview several to see if they will take you seriously when you detail your preferences or merely want to unload a house in a certain price range/area without giving you an overview of what kind of life you can expect. Speaking from experience, the realtor we dealt with when we bought our house 3 years ago was a clear example of the latter. He did nothing but take us to a house, open the door, and stand back dumbly as we prowled the rooms. If we weren't very familiar with the area already, we wouldn't have known what we were getting into.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
I would suggest Elkin/Jonesville, Yadkinville, Mt Airy, and Mocksville.

Do your special needs kids attend The Childrens Center?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 AM

To the poster above I would like to find the area we are interested in first then my husband will try to get into the school's in that area. I would not move to an area because of a job. Especially because of my children.

wsnc62 that is next on my list to find other parents with cystic fibrosis children to talk to them about the doctors there. I have seen the data on line and it looks good so I am sure that would not be an issue but you never know.

Thanks for all your help. I will research those towns and visit them.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
Mocksville is a nice town, but going west of W-S on I-40 doesn't exactly give you better proximity to Boone than being in W-S. Neither does going north on US 52 to Mt. Airy. For proximity to Boone and W-S you need to look along US 421. I'll second the recommendation of Lewisville, which in in the same county as W-S.

Elkin has its own small school system and always ranks high on test scores. Their downtown is undergoing a wee bit of a renaissance.

Not sure about the school system in Wilkes County, but the mid-location of Wilkesboro/N. Wilkesboro make them an obvious area to at least consider.

Someone mentioned Yadkinville. They do have a nice YMCA which is a branch of the Y in Winston-Salem, and a new cultural arts center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point