U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,580 times

Advertisements

I was in Cary,NC a few weeks ago and ate at "35 Chinese restaurant" where I had the best boiled beef in Szechuan sauce, twice cooked pork, and three pepper chicken, all of which were very spicy. Since then nothing satisfies me, I'm in winston-salem and I've been to a few restaurants here hoping to find authentic Szechuan styled Chinese food such as "Szechuan Palace, Sampan, etc etc" but they've all been a bust. I'm looking for that bowl of hot red chile oil where the beef, fish, or lamb is soaked and you can smell the heat, not that sweet red goo they try to pass for "Szechuan sauce"

Is there any Authentic Chinese (specifically Szechuan) food in Winston, High Point, or Greensboro? or should I just give up and drive to Cary once a week?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
Most people can't tolerate really spicy food which is why most spicy food is really dumbed down. However, not being a frequent Chinese food consumer, nor having been to China I can't tell you where to find what you are looking for.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM

25 posts, read 54,279 times
Full Kee in High Point is one I really like. Give it a try and see if it is what you are looking for.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
According to Barney, "They got good Chinese in Raleigh, Andy."

Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 PM

84 posts, read 191,246 times
Full Kee is very expensive as a heads-up.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
What about PF Changs in Greensboro?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:09 PM

97 posts, read 191,507 times
PF Changs is a chain and very average bland Americanized Chinese food.

Try Szechuan Palace on Healy Drive in W-S. I miss good authentic Asian food like in Charlotte.

Szechuan Palace seems to be the best in W-S (IMO) and if you like Thai food...try Basil Leaf (best IMO) on St George Ct in W-S...beside of CarMax.

Last edited by Charlotte2Advance; 08-27-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,695,945 times
I would ditch the Chinese thing and go for authentic Vietnamese. My favorite is Binh Minh on Market in Greensboro.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,580 times
Full Kee and PF changs are very americanized, not exactly what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestions.

As far as Szechuan Palace is concerned, I gave it a try and unfortunately there's nothing Authentically Szechuan about it, although it's still pretty good chinese (american) food :/ What restaurants in Charlotte did you find to be good?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:29 AM

106 posts, read 201,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnavarro.fm View Post
Full Kee and PF changs are very americanized, not exactly what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestions.

As far as Szechuan Palace is concerned, I gave it a try and unfortunately there's nothing Authentically Szechuan about it, although it's still pretty good chinese (american) food :/ What restaurants in Charlotte did you find to be good?

Thanks for the suggestions.
If you like Thai, the Thai Chang Mai on 68 is THE place. They just opened a new restaurant after being in High Point in a dump for years. I have been going there for 12 years. The owners are super and will make it as authentic as you want it.

I get mine Thai Hot. Most people won't touch it. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point