U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,828,919 times

Advertisements

Honestly, the only places where you are likely to get a an abundance of looks in NE NC (but south of VA Beach area), W NC, and some areas that straddle the Coastal plains and Piedmont regions. In most of NC, including rural and definitively the populated areas, race is not an issue. This is from someone who grew up in a rural coastal area of NC and has traveled the state extensively.There are more areas in NC where people won't care than they would. Even areas that people used to care (i.e Down East NC [east of Beaufort, NC], the majority doesn't care any more. Side note, the change in Down East came from an explosion of interracial relationships in the 90's that forced the old folks either to accept it or deny their grandbabies and daughters.

To answer the OP's question directly, there will be no problems, in general, in any of the places you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:44 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,242,878 times
I haven't seen any issues with this since I've moved to Greensboro. Everybody is pretty much welcoming.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,399,574 times
Yep. I wouldnt worry either. Come on down.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 AM

682 posts, read 811,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
You can get stares in a rural town being white.
it just as common in rural areas.

there are, gasp, gay people living in rural areas too. Some are even out mayors.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:49 PM

97 posts, read 254,601 times
For what it's worth, I was born and raised in Winston, now live High Point. I have four bi-racial children, two in college, two in pre-school. We've never had to deal with the issues you're concerned about (and your concerns are valid and justified) regarding your family. I do get your concerns and why you have them but I can tell you our experience: except for a few backwards thinking non-important folks here and there having something to say- and that was way back in the day when I was first married, we've had no problems with neighbors, teachers, church members, etc. My oldest son had one issue with one teacher. I told him he was not allowed to disrespect her- I told him to handle issues with people his age but I would handle any issues he had with adults. I handled her and that was that. Otherwise, their heritage was never an issue. Teach them to walk with their head held high, man. It's an understandable concern for you but your children and their peers have a lot to teach us. They don't see color the way we were taught to see color when we were growing up. You'll probably find that it's not an issue at all for your children here. I wish you and your family all the best and hope your babies have a great experience growing up in North Carolina if you choose to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point