U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 AM

774 posts, read 1,614,367 times

Advertisements

Hi ... I was in Winston-Salem last week and noticed a good number of "Arts" related signs and shops downtown. I have no idea if WS is more of an "Arts" focused city than Durham or not. Is it? (Durham seems to enjoy it's theaters too.)

What about other aspects of Winston-Salem Vs Durham?

Friendliness, awareness, quality of life?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
IMHO, they are on completely different scales. No common metric. W-S light years beyond Durham.

Here is an easy way to remember: Durham - Duke = Detroit

Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I have no idea if WS is more of an "Arts" focused city than Durham or not.
Is it? (Durham seems to enjoy it's theaters too.)
Artsy things can definitely be found here.
How "art focused" are you?

Do you actually make a point of visiting museums and attending theater and concerts on any sort
of regular basis? If so, then neither Durham or Winston will satisfy much of that for very long.
Do such a few times a year? You'll be fine living anywhere in NC.

Quote:
The issue you're circling around is the population level and that capacity to draw resources.
Durham (233K/95SM) is a UNI town with another actual city right next door while Winston
(232K/142SM) is a company town with a UNI. There is really no comparison.

Winston has become an overly expanded county seat town that now includes a LOT of what used to be
outer residential developments. With that tax income (and a fair bit of Reynolds and Hanes family money)
has been able to grow a few rather nice amenities to compliment the appeal of it's convenient mid state
location for those whose work doesn't require them to live in RAL or CLT or ASH and are still inclined to live in NC.

On a 10 scale... it pulls solid 7's and 8's on just about every measure.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-28-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 AM

109 posts, read 170,162 times
Quote:
Hi ... I was in Winston-Salem last week and noticed a good number of "Arts" related signs and shops downtown. I have no idea if WS is more of an "Arts" focused city than Durham or not. Is it? (Durham seems to enjoy it's theaters too.)

I know WS better than Durham only because I've had more reasons to visit the former.

Winston Salem does have an adopted motto of "City of Arts" and was one of the first cities in the U.S. to have an arts council. The UNC School of the Arts is located there. A friend of mine who runs a talent agency in New York has given several master classes there. It also has a symphony, opera, several theater companies and the downtown area around 6th has many galleries.

Additionally, it hosts several Arts events from the National Black Theater Festival to a few film festivals.

It's really an impressive city considering it's size.

As for Durham it does have some galleries and an arts council though most people I know who go to Durham in the Triangle for Arts go there for the DPAC which is the largest Performing Arts Center in the the state (seating capacity wise) and attracts most of the best travelling Broadway shows in the Triangle.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:

Having lived in Durham years ago and now heavily considering a move back to Winston Salem will say it's friendlier, more laidback and a better value in terms of living costs versus amenities, as I feel both are fairly similar in that department. I have no idea of why the Triad is so overlooked but in a way I suppose that's helped it preserve the positives.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
Ahh..the arts.
Winston-Salem and Durham are alike in many ways, whether it be population, the fact that both have a historically black university, a major 'ivy league-type' private university backed by tobacco money, a research park, and a strong contingent of the creative class. Both have a widely known major art museum (although I would put Reynolda about 30-40 years ahead of the Nasher).

I do see the arts going much deeper and farther back in history for Winston-Salem than they do for Durham, or any other city in the state for that matter. Winston-Salem supporters created the first arts council in America. The city has consistently had the highest per capita in giving to the arts for decades. What other city can claim three orchestras, an opera company, numerous theatre troupes as well as theatres, the oldest brass ensemble in the country, the first classical music composed in the country, the oldest college for women in the country, or home to the largest collection of music in the country?

Does any other city have a better collection of 18th century architecture and living city than Old Salem?
Does any other have supported contemporary art longer than SECCA?
No other city in the state has year round exposure to dance, music, theatre, film, and production of any kind like Winston-Salem with UNC School of the Arts. And this is cutting edge performance that trains the future stars of tomorrow, not travelling Broadway shows that hit every city in America.
If Durham has anything like the Museum of Southern Decorative Arts, I have yet to hear about it. MESDA is unprecedented, with a collection of art, furniture, decorative arts, and room settings from all over the early South.

Furthermore, I would venture to say that Winston-Salem has more to do in the festival arena than any other city, including Durham, especially for it's size. The National Black Theatre Festival has already been mentioned, but there is also River Run Film Festival, at least two wine festivals, the Magnolia Music Festival, the Celtic Festival, the Latin "Feista" Festival, a book festival, the annual crafts fair, and seasonal street music in the arts district that I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:43 PM

Default puzzled...

Thanks everyone.
But I'm not sure I understand a couple of the comments. I'd just like to clarify:

kyle19125, when you wrote:

Quote:
"Having lived in Durham years ago and now heavily considering a move back to Winston Salem will say it's friendlier, more laidback and a better value in terms of living costs versus amenities, as I feel both are fairly similar in that department. I have no idea of why the Triad is so overlooked but in a way I suppose that's helped it preserve the positives."

I take it that you're saying WS is friendlier and has a lower cost of living than Durham... right?

And MrRational, I didn't understand what you meant at first, but good feedback. The two cities have just about the same population, but Winston-Salem is spread out over a lot more land area, right?
This is really good for me to hear because I am soooooo sick of the "Too Many Rats In The Cage" syndrome.

wsnc62... good feedback that filled in some of the blanks for me. Many thanks.

CLTMark and LLN ... likewise. The more comments validating a point, the better. "Light years a head of Durham" ... who woulda thought. Durham-Raleigh gets all the press it seems. But so far, I haven't really "felt" much of a creative or innovative vibe. I was wondering if it's just that I haven't cracked the surface ... or if the entire crust was ... thin.

Again, thank each of you for helping me make up my mind to keep looking.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:17 PM

4,577 posts, read 4,393,634 times
City of the Arts vs. City of Medicine

I like Winston-Salem better. Both cities do have a similar history in terms of their local economies (tobacco & biotech). The Duke family influenced growth in Durham and the Reynolds family influenced growth in Winston-Salem. Both have historic towers that resemble the Empire State Building (and there were proposal for both to be converted to luxury hotels). Durham has a very small downtown and its skyline ranks last among NC's five largest cities. Winston-Salem looks like a much larger city and seems to be more diverse. However Durham has the best darn ballpark in the state in my opinion. I also like where the ballpark is located in its downtown. Winston-Salem's downtown ballpark is a little more isolated and I don't like the fact that it has a parking lot which has become a large buffer between the stadium and the street. I wish it would have been built near the old RJR tobacco warehouses on the east side of downtown. "Reynolds American Ballpark", as I would dub it, could have been an anchor for an entertainment warehouse district near PTRP. It could have been styled after Fenway Park in Boston and would have had an authentic retro feel in relationship to its historic urban environment. However it seems that having a skyline view was more important. Lately here that seems to be the trend with downtown ballparks. But I believe its location in relationship to its environment is more important, view or no view.

a "Reynolds American Ballpark" located in east downtown Winston-Salem should have looked like this....notice the surrounding historic warehouse architecture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...al_Skywalk.jpg

Chattanooga's downtown ballpark was styled after Fenway Park which uses a lot of exterior steel with brick. It has a more industrial look and would have been very fitting near the old RJR factory and warehouses. Also, it would have been totally unique from the other retro ballparks in North Carolina which are primarily brick and modeled after Camden Yards. I like the name Reynolds American Ballpark over BB&T Ballpark.

http://digitalballparks.com/Southern...utside_V2T.jpg

Now if only Winston-Salem could get passenger rail.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-31-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks Dude--

...but "gsoboi78"... I'm one of those rare brothers that just doesn't do, "ball".
God didn't seem especially generous the day I was conceived, so at 5' 8" tall and near-sighted, I'm not what you'd call ... "a baller".

I tried... and I was a pretty good runner and not too bad a wrestling... but I just don't have the "ball" genes. Football, basketball, baseball... and anything else with a "ball" in it bores me. They go up the field ... then they do down. Then they repeat. (Or... the go around the field... and repeat.)

I'm far more drawn to hiking the Great Smoky Mountains ... maybe testing myself a bit on a stretch of the Appalachian Trail... or as MrRational just pointed out, driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I don't fish either.
But you can bet my place is going to look like a paradise. Hard work just feels good.

Many thanks!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM

10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Furthermore, I would venture to say that Winston-Salem has more to do in the festival arena than any other city, including Durham, especially for it's size. The National Black Theatre Festival has already been mentioned, but there is also River Run Film Festival, at least two wine festivals, the Magnolia Music Festival, the Celtic Festival, the Latin "Feista" Festival, a book festival, the annual crafts fair, and seasonal street music in the arts district that I can think of off the top of my head.
For Durham festivals you might like to check out the internationally recognized American Dance Festival, the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, the NC Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, The Bull Durham Blues Festival, CenterFest arts fest, the Bimbe Cultural Arts (African) festival, The Latino Festival, The Festival for the Eno, the Taste of Durham festival , the World Beer Festival, periodic food truck rodeos, and of course all the offerings of DPAC, the Carolina Theatre, Man Bites Dog Theater, The Nasher Art Museum, Music in the (Sarah P.) Duke Gardens, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point