U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,467,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym2010 View Post
I moved to WS from California for Graduate school and two years later continue to feel like the problem just has to be either this place or me. I desperately miss my friends who live so far away and who seem to have so much to do with so many people. While my line of work puts a little damper on the time...I still have found few people to connect with. I am in no way interested in Church. I do not have a family. I go to school/work, but have found most people I know from there either have a family or have proven to be not so good friend material. Meeting good friends has been absolutely impossible here and all I can think to do is get out as soon as I finish. Unfortunately I have no advice for you...because I came to this site looking for some kind of advice or social group to attend. I hate to sound so negative. I just can't put a finger on what it is that is missing.
Hope you have started to settle in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roygerdodger View Post
Even though I lived in NC most of my life, I'm having a hard time fitting in with people here, too.
BTW, I live in High Point.
Wow, I saw a response to this thread in my inbox and see that the last time I was active on it was over a year and a half ago. I wonder how Putty is doing.

Nonetheless, Gym & Roy, you're fairly new here so just keep reading and posting. Ya never know who you might befriend here. But, as I've always said, just get out and about and say hello to everyone you meet (i.e. coffee shops, stores, school, etc.). Those who respond favorably may actually become a new friend for life. Having done some volunteer work in the few hours I have to afford, I've met a lot of terrific people that way too.

I miss my close friends terribly (along with the Pacific Ocean). No one here has yet replaced the rapport I have with them (of course, they are all a phone call away). And It's definitely different here than it is in California, that's for sure. However, people seem to me to be very kind, humble and nice to hang out with. Just start up some jabbering, don't be shy, of course, and simply meet the world as they approach you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,927 times
I joined meetup. com and started attending a bunch of functions and this way I have met already a few people I really like! It hasn't been that way for me for years. But when you move somewhere, you have to almost forcibly make the effort for the first two years. Eventually the friendships will blossom. I've moved for a good deal of my life, so I'm sort of used to it. That has never made it any easier.

I think it helps living in a place that inspires you. Greensboro does that for me, but northern VA did not. The people up there in our area were just downright rude and didn't know how to relax! Everything was rush, rush, rush, or snub, snub, snub. *rolls eyes*.

I think, when you have trouble in your life making that connection, it can be for a few reasons. One is, you secretly wish to leave and are sabotaging yourself. Sometimes people do this without even realizing it, it's a way for the subconscious belief to find fruition and finally manifest. If so, start looking for a different place to live, or try a new angle.
Two, sometimes an area really just isn't your cup of tea, even if you've lived there your whole life. I truly believe that some areas have different "feels" (or energies, if you prefer), and sociologically, the people who live there do have a sort of mental, cultural trend in the way they act around each other, support each other, or....don't.

The country is having a lot of money troubles all around: stores are closing, houses are falling to foreclosure, etc. Finding an area that doesn't have these problems is virtually not possible right now. NC does seem to be having a good deal of growth, compared to the rest of the country, but it's focused it seems to three main areas: Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville. They still have the same problems, but the growth rate is higher (or the amount of loss is lesser, if you understand it that way better).

One really big reason we left NoVA was the traffic and cost of living, but honestly, I just did not click with the transient governmental folks up there. The very DAY I arrived here in Greensboro, people were talking to me - at the grocery store, my neighbors, at the gas station.

I had a similar "down" period in my life when I lived in Jacksonville, FL. You could talk to people there, but they were closed minded, racist, and just kinda.....stupid. You got a lot of people walking around without t-shirts, with beercans. My mom hated Pittsburgh, NJ, but I really liked it! I just looooooved Philadelphia, but many people don't, or they think it's "weird." I thought Hawaii was beautiful, GORGEOUS, would loved to have stayed, but the racism against me there was unbearable (I'm caucasian). I lived for nearly a decade in Germany, and I tried as hard as I could to be happy there, make a go of it, in the end I had to admit I was miserable.

SO MY MOTTO IS - if you feel like it doesn't fit, if you feel uncomfortable, if you feel unfulfilled, pack your bags and start traveling. Go by yourself, go with others, meet strangers, but get out and start finding those places that feel good to you. It's the ONLY WAY, IMHO. I went to Boulder, Colorado by myself for a week, and Seattle, (I'm a female) for that very purpose. ;D

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM

12 posts, read 35,368 times
Quote:
I joined meetup. com and started attending a bunch of functions and this way I have met already a few people I really like! It hasn't been that way for me for years. But when you move somewhere, you have to almost forcibly make the effort for the first two years. Eventually the friendships will blossom. I've moved for a good deal of my life, so I'm sort of used to it. That has never made it any easier.
IB4S, Thx for the suggestion. I'd never heard of meetup.com before, but now my weekend social options look pretty promising.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,927 times
Cool Raiyshe!~ I'm glad I could help! I've even started thinking about creating my own meetup.com group, though it costs 12$ a month to do so. The good news is, you get 3 groups for the same amount of money. I'm thinking about it... LOL

That's how I felt too, ya know. When I first got here, I didn't do much, but I found alot of interesting places to go, with or without the groups just by looking at each group's "calender." For example, I was able to go strawberry picking with my daughter and husband the first month we were here, because of one of those area groups. We had so much fun!

I hope you find something and someone you like out there! Clicking with someone is alot closer than we often think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point