Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times

Advertisements

Here is a little evidence Roy Carroll is starting the construction process for his planned 100 room 8-story hotel across from NewBridge Bank Ballpark. Finally a downtown hotel proposal thats going to happen.

link on constructionwire

http://www.constructionwire.com/proj...iontype=0&UID=

link isnt working properly. when you click on it, type in Greensboro, select North Carolina and search. You'll see the hotel project. The description says it starts in 4 to 12 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,790 times
This is great news, Glad to see this side of downtown is starting to really come to life!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 AM

Roy Carroll's hotel project planned across from the ballpark has just turned into a major mixed-use hotel development that could take up to 4 acres. The brand hotel has not been announced but Roy Carroll did say this would be a first class development and I would guess a hotel brand such an Aloft. Downtown Greensboro will have come a long way if it can score both a Wyndham and Aloft hotel. In addition to Roy Carroll's 8 story hotel, the mixed-use elements could potentially be mid-rise buildings.

With four major large scale projects being planned for downtown, Greensboro is finally seeing the type of urban development thats been going up for a number of years in Charlotte and Raleigh. Greensboro is finally becoming a forward thinking progressive city. With companies moving in such as Lenovo and Honda Aircraft Company, high paying tech jobs are coming to the city as well.

Roy Carroll planning major downtown Greensboro mixed-use project - Greensboro - The Business Journal

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-01-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 03:09 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Who travels to downtown Greensboro unless they have to? It would be full for Furniture Market and a ghost town most of the rest of the year.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Who travels to downtown Greensboro unless they have to? It would be full for Furniture Market and a ghost town most of the rest of the year.
You must be confusing it with High Point.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah the Furniture Market is in downtown High Point.

And actually downtown Greensboro is rather nice. In terms of nightlife, Elm Street could actually give Tryon Street in Charlotte a run for its money. And the ballpark and Center City Park have been really nice additions to downtown, as is the downtown greenway loop (under construction). I'm not saying it's downtown Asheville or anything, but in some ways, downtown Greensboro is actually underrated IMO.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM

322 posts, read 666,762 times
Who is going to stay overnight at all these hotels that keep getting proposed in downtown Greensboro? I dare say it would be a baseball fan attending a Grasshopper game, or a someone driving in to see something at the proposed PAC if that gets built, or a visitor to the lunch counter museum. Much less a professional doing business from out of town with Lincoln Financial. How many other corporations are based in downtown Greensboro?

Downtown Greensboro is one of those places you can't even see from the highway...so much for siphoning hotel business away from the Sheraton at Four Seasons. And with three new schools in the ACC from the extreme reaches of the "Atlantic Coast," I don't expect the conference tournament to be held on a regular basis in North Carolina as it once was. Perhaps they're relying on the bar business that is prevalent along Elm Street. Let's hope these developers do their due diligence before they expect city/county governments to step up with incentives for parking decks and the like.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM

I think you are missing the point wsnc62. There is a reason Roy Carroll is planning this project across from the ballpark. Since he is planning to build it on 4 acres, it will only be about a block and a half or so from the performing arts center as well (between the ballpark and the performing arts center). In fact the performing arts center is what led to this proposal in the first place. so Mr Carroll will likely have restaurants in this development. As far as seeing downtown from the highway, you can get a glimpse of Greensboro skyline from two places, I-40 were Business 85 merges and I-40 over East Lee Street.

As far as the hotels, There will always be business travelers seeking luxury accommodations and all these downtown attractions and restaurants make downtown an attractive location for hotels and travelers. There wont be a lot of people staying at the hotels just to see shows at the PAC or watch a baseball game. They will be staying at the hotels for business or convention related reasons. But while they are in town, they have a lot of options within walking distance during their spare time. Thats the difference between staying at a suburban hotel and an urban hotel. If I were traveling to a city on business, I would rather stay at a hotel where there are dining, entertainment and cultural options within walking distance as oppose to a hotel where I have to drive or have a cab take me to these places. This is the reason the hotels are being planned. I think we all know the hotels wont get a lot of business from people who just want to see broadway shows are watch baseball games. Why do you think there are so many hotels in downtown Greenville, SC? The city is not a tourist destination and there is no big convention center in downtown Greenville. I-85 is also 4 miles away from downtown Greenville. Downtown Greensboro is closer to the main interstate than downtown Greenville is. Besides both cities being named after General Nathaniel Greene, there are some parallels between Greensboro and Greenville. However Greenville is at least 15 years ahead of Greensboro in terms of downtown redevelopment.

It will be interesting to see the details of Mr Carroll'e plans. Its beginning to look like a mini "Greensboro Triumph Center" Roy Carroll is planning a development that covers more than a city block. The article mentions his project would extend all the way to Commerce Place at Bellemeade St. Thats a block away from the performing arts center site. at the corner of North Elm and Bellemeade St.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-02-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
I don't see the significance of being able to see a downtown from the interstate other than it being a general negative comment. Because you can see a downtown from an interstate or highway doesn't necessarily equate to the area being easy to navigate. I don't think Carroll and the other investors are haphazardly throwing money at these projects only to see if it will stick.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think you are missing the point wsnc62. There is a reason Roy Carroll is planning this project across from the ballpark. Since he is planning to build it on 4 acres, it will only be about a block and a half or so from the performing arts center as well (between the ballpark and the performing arts center). In fact the performing arts center is what led to this proposal in the first place. so Mr Carroll will likely have restaurants in this development. As far as seeing downtown from the highway, you can get a glimpse of Greensboro skyline from two places, I-40 were Business 85 merges and I-40 over East Lee Street.

As far as the hotels, There will always be business travelers seeking luxury accommodations and all these downtown attractions and restaurants make downtown an attractive location for hotels and travelers. There wont be a lot of people staying at the hotels just to see shows at the PAC or watch a baseball game. They will be staying at the hotels for business or convention related reasons. But while they are in town, they have a lot of options within walking distance during their spare time. Thats the difference between staying at a suburban hotel and an urban hotel. If I were traveling to a city on business, I would rather stay at a hotel where there are dining, entertainment and cultural options within walking distance as oppose to a hotel where I have to drive or have a cab take me to these places. This is the reason the hotels are being planned. I think we all know the hotels wont get a lot of business from people who just want to see broadway shows are watch baseball games. Why do you think there are so many hotels in downtown Greenville, SC? The city is not a tourist destination and there is no big convention center in downtown Greenville. I-85 is also 4 miles away from downtown Greenville. Downtown Greensboro is closer to the main interstate than downtown Greenville is. Besides both cities being named after General Nathaniel Greene, there are some parallels between Greensboro and Greenville. However Greenville is at least 15 years ahead of Greensboro in terms of downtown redevelopment.

It will be interesting to see the details of Mr Carroll'e plans. Its beginning to look like a mini "Greensboro Triumph Center" Roy Carroll is planning a development that covers more than a city block. The article mentions his project would extend all the way to Commerce Place at Bellemeade St. Thats a block away from the performing arts center site. at the corner of North Elm and Bellemeade St.
I was going to mention downtown Greenville is response to wsnc62's comment as well. It has made its downtown a destination in the absence of large corporate headquarters downtown or a convention center. Greensboro seems to be following the same model and although it doesn't have a beautiful natural waterfall that forms the centerpiece of a signature park like Greenville does, it is flanked by two sizable universities which is a significant advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point