U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2006, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 15,902 times

Advertisements

In about 2 years, our family is planning a move from Central Texas to the Triad area. This forum has answered many, many questions. . .but of course I have more
Has anyone relocated and brought their farm equipment with them? If so, how did you transport? We are looking for farm land (row crop, hay and orchard).
Still need to be within about 30 to 40 minute drive of Winston-Salem, public schools not a problem, as last child graduates in 2008.
Do areas there (Triad) still have infastructure for farming--in our area the grain elevators, cotton gins, etc. have closed up. Though we do not plan on operating a large farm, we still want to be involved in that type of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 04:15 PM

463 posts, read 1,518,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgal View Post
In about 2 years, our family is planning a move from Central Texas to the Triad area. This forum has answered many, many questions. . .but of course I have more Has anyone relocated and brought their farm equipment with them? If so, how did you transport? We are looking for farm land (row crop, hay and orchard). Still need to be within about 30 to 40 minute drive of Winston-Salem, public schools not a problem, as last child graduates in 2008. Do areas there (Triad) still have infastructure for farming--in our area the grain elevators, cotton gins, etc. have closed up. Though we do not plan on operating a large farm, we still want to be involved in that type of living.
As it stands now, a minimum of 10 correctly zoned acres, with a certain amount of income made per year off that acreage ( be it from crops, livestock, tree farms, etc.) is necessary to qualify for a land use or farming exemption or to even use that acreage for such. I can't help you with questions about moving your farming equipment or with the grain elevators, cotton gins, etc. either currently or where you may be moving in two years. What exists now may not in two years and what doesn't exist now may in two years. Many parts of Rockingham county ( part of the Triad area ---about 30 minutes from Winston-Salem, less than that from Greensboro) are still largely agricultural land. My best advice is to check carefully with the proper zoning authorities and the N.C. Dept. of Agriculture when you get closer to the time of moving.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-14-2006 at 04:54 PM..

Old 10-14-2006, 05:01 PM

Thank you Cassie. . .how true things can change quite a bit in 2 years. Will definitely add the county ag & zoning folks, to our "to do" list when we come for a visit within the next year.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:21 AM

583 posts, read 2,606,560 times
What part of WS are you trying to stay close to? You might want to try looking into Stokes County (north of WS)... VERY few farms still exist in Forsyth County. We've got a farm (Buffalo Creek Farm, look us up on the web if you're interested) on the Forsyth/Stokes County line. Farming in TX is a LOT different than here Double check that it's possible to grow/raise what you're used to here. Most farmers grow what is needed for their animals and are mainly self serving, the triad area is not as agricultural as it once was. Grapes for wineries is starting to take off though. I'm not sure what land goes for in TX, but it's not cheap here! You'll probably end up with a much smaller farm than you're used to. Further east... Sampson County is one of the biggest farming counties, take a look and see if that's more of what you're looking for? As for shipping everything, ask around at your local tractor store and see if they offer shipping...or the internet? Let me know if we can be of any assistance. Good luck & happy farming!

Old 10-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erineieio View Post
What part of WS are you trying to stay close to? You might want to try looking into Stokes County (north of WS)... VERY few farms still exist in Forsyth County. We've got a farm (Buffalo Creek Farm, look us up on the web if you're interested) on the Forsyth/Stokes County line. Farming in TX is a LOT different than here Double check that it's possible to grow/raise what you're used to here. Most farmers grow what is needed for their animals and are mainly self serving, the triad area is not as agricultural as it once was. Grapes for wineries is starting to take off though. I'm not sure what land goes for in TX, but it's not cheap here! You'll probably end up with a much smaller farm than you're used to. Further east... Sampson County is one of the biggest farming counties, take a look and see if that's more of what you're looking for? As for shipping everything, ask around at your local tractor store and see if they offer shipping...or the internet? Let me know if we can be of any assistance. Good luck & happy farming!
Cotton, maize, feed corn, coastal hay, with pecan, peach, pear, & fig trees.
Average prices for an acre (blackland prairie) in our area: $10,000 to $12,000.
5 to 6 years ago: $1,800 to $2,500. Most farming now is done thru leasing (1,000 acres being the norm) and custom harvesting.

Your farm is wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Long story short: husband farmed full-time many years, crop prices dropped dramatically; I worked as insurance underwriter til 3rd child born; husband decided to lease farm out and take town job. Health insurance I work as sub teacher. Husband's job can transfer to W-S area. Has about 12 years to retirement. He has never (except college) lived anywhere but the farm. We have been married over 25 years, our 4 kids raised on farm, we love the rural farm life and don't want to give it up. Thought we would never have to move--except things changed: area exploding, our little town went from 500 pop to 11,000 in 15 years, major toll road now in area, becoming a bedroom community for Austin, and a 4-lane road scheduled (2008) to come thru the front of our farm over the well, and divide the property. Oh, and we are fixing to be ETJ'd (extra territorial jurisdiction) and pick up city taxes as well

Old 10-15-2006, 04:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,518,772 times
You may run into nearly the same thing in certain areas of Forsyth county. Winston-Salem annexed approximately 20 miles of outlying areas. After a lengthy court battle, which Forsyth Citizens Against Forced Annexation lost, homeowners will have to pay not only county taxes but city taxes too.

Also I started to send you a website that 2 1/2 years ago listed mostly farms and large parcels of land for sale. I just checked it. My gosh, most of the listings are small parcels for residential building now. Prices have really increased too. If you're plannning to buy in N.C. I would really suggest you start looking now and doing your homework now. I don't expect prices to decrease since there's such a demand by developers.

Also be sure to check deed restrictions. We looked at 20 acres in beautiful rural Caswell county that we were interested in buying. 9 pages of deed restrictions, including no goats, no chickens, no cattle, no donkeys, the plans for our home had to pass the seller's architectural review and we had to agree to put our home up for lien in the event that the road maintenance agreement fees weren't paid within 30 days. No maximum on the road maintenance fees. Since the seller was timbering about 100 acres of land and heavy equipment used for that purpose was in and out of the main road, we declined to buy.

Plus I wanted a companion goat for my horse. Good grief, who wants to buy 20 acres in the country and be subject to those restrictions and more? Not us, anyway. Always a good idea to check deed restrictions.

As a horse person I know there is a good demand for hay here. And a demand for good hay. I don't know about cotton, maize, feed corn or fruit and nut trees. I sure wish you the best with your plans though.

In this day and time it's great to hear about someone who loves farming and plans to farm. May you and your husband have much success here or wherever you land!

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Cotton, maize, feed corn, coastal hay, with pecan, peach, pear, & fig trees. Average prices for an acre (blackland prairie) in our area: $10,000 to $12,000. 5 to 6 years ago: $1,800 to $2,500. Most farming now is done thru leasing (1,000 acres being the norm) and custom harvesting.

Your farm is wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Long story short: husband farmed full-time many years, crop prices dropped dramatically; I worked as insurance underwriter til 3rd child born; husband decided to lease farm out and take town job. Health insurance I work as sub teacher. Husband's job can transfer to W-S area. Has about 12 years to retirement. He has never (except college) lived anywhere but the farm. We have been married over 25 years, our 4 kids raised on farm, we love the rural farm life and don't want to give it up. Thought we would never have to move--except things changed: area exploding, our little town went from 500 pop to 11,000 in 15 years, major toll road now in area, becoming a bedroom community for Austin, and a 4-lane road scheduled (2008) to come thru the front of our farm over the well, and divide the property. Oh, and we are fixing to be ETJ'd (extra territorial jurisdiction) and pick up city taxes as well

Last edited by Cassie; 10-15-2006 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-10-2006, 05:40 AM

583 posts, read 2,606,560 times
Quote:
Cotton, maize, feed corn, coastal hay, with pecan, peach, pear, & fig trees.
Average prices for an acre (blackland prairie) in our area: $10,000 to $12,000.
5 to 6 years ago: $1,800 to $2,500. Most farming now is done thru leasing (1,000 acres being the norm) and custom harvesting.
A farmer up the valley from my parent's farm actually raised cotton this summer, I think that it may have been the first time for our area (it's grown commonly in eastern NC). The crops that you're used to growing are generally grown in eastern NC! In the piedmont, you'll be more likely to have fescue hay too. Livestock is a big market here--have you ever thought about raising cows, goats, etc? Eastern NC is also being slowly taken over by the larger farmers leasing land, I guess that's where the big bucks are! I would suggest that you search the internet for some NC auction sites and bookmark them to check back often, my experience is that you're most likely to find farm land for sale that way! I'll ask my parents if they know of any farms in the area coming up for sale and PM you if they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point