U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:01 AM

32 posts, read 52,799 times

Advertisements

I hate to tell you this, but the court costs and fines are pretty much going to be mandatory. Speeding in a construction zone is one of the higher fines allowed in NC and I don't think (but I not 100% sure) that such fines/costs are "waivable" even IF you are able to get the current citation changed to "improper equipment". The signs posted in construction zones do indicate the fine is "up to" $250 but it is not automatic. Then you have to add "court costs" as you outlined above.

You have apparently decided to hire a lawyer and in this case I think that is wise. In most cases the local attorney can represent you and you will not have to travel back to Surry County to appear. Once you decide which attorney to hire, I would be interested to know what he/she has to say about the $250 fine being mandatory or if it can perhaps be reduced or waived depending on the outcome of things.

Good luck. Sorry you are having the hassle. This stretch of Hwy 52 is notorious for being a speed trap. The addition of orange barrels has made it even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 9,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi View Post
I hate to tell you this, but the court costs and fines are pretty much going to be mandatory. Speeding in a construction zone is one of the higher fines allowed in NC and I don't think (but I not 100% sure) that such fines/costs are "waivable" even IF you are able to get the current citation changed to "improper equipment". The signs posted in construction zones do indicate the fine is "up to" $250 but it is not automatic. Then you have to add "court costs" as you outlined above.

You have apparently decided to hire a lawyer and in this case I think that is wise. In most cases the local attorney can represent you and you will not have to travel back to Surry County to appear. Once you decide which attorney to hire, I would be interested to know what he/she has to say about the $250 fine being mandatory or if it can perhaps be reduced or waived depending on the outcome of things.

Good luck. Sorry you are having the hassle. This stretch of Hwy 52 is notorious for being a speed trap. The addition of orange barrels has made it even worse.
Thanks for the advice. I will give an update.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 PM

97 posts, read 254,808 times
"i don't mean to scold you"... but i'm about to scold you. Anyway, what county were you in? I can recommend someone depending on the county where you were stopped. Work zone or not, tickets can always be reduced or disappear. It's about who you know.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 PM

97 posts, read 254,808 times
and don't bother hiring a GA attorney. if you get a ticket in north carolina, you need a lawyer who knows the judges in the county where you need to report for your court appearance. you need the lawyer who played golf with the judge the saturday before your court date the following monday or whatever day it is. don't waste your money on a GA attorney. no NC judge is going to do anything for them that they wouldn't do for a defendant representing himself. trust me!!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,180 times
laneynewport

Can you recommend an attorney that plays golf with the judge in Surry County court in Dobson NC?

Jim B

Old 10-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Default Recommend an attorney in Surry County

laneynewport

Can you recommend an attorney that plays golf with the judge in Surry County court in Dobson NC to represent a 19 over speeding ticket?

Jim B

Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
It's not that hard; find a lawyer, pay the fees, and make the charges go away.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Any good Lawyers in Surry county that you can recommend?

J. Bowling

Old 10-18-2014, 12:43 PM

449 posts, read 379,569 times
I know they say otherwise but you were likely "picked" because of your license. GA is the worst place in the world for this crap with the "construction zones" that lay vacant for 2-3 years running so I am sure NC is also using it as a revenue source.

You do need an attorney or you will need to make the trip back up unless you just pay the fine or the court has a provision to waive personal appearance.

IF - IF you have a clean or excellent driving record the court will generally allow you to take a one day driver safety school and they will drop the fine ... local attorney will tell you about that option or call the court clerk and ask. I also think they will have a provision to allow payment of the fine over a short term. It is purely a revenue source for the local county you got pinched in and seldom has anything to do with safety in these cases ... the reason for the construction zone - double fines and easy to get pinched.

Attorney will likely charge you $150-$200 so if they can not do anything for you then it will be a waste of $$.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:54 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furnituredude View Post
Any good Lawyers in Surry county that you can recommend?

J. Bowling
My last ticket which, was an at fault accident, I just picked an attorney from the phone book and they made it go away. But I don't know any lawyers in Surry county, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point