U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:39 PM

3,119 posts, read 4,153,531 times

Advertisements

I think chains remind people of home or where they once lived. It like bringing elements of prior homes to your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 04:50 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,318,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I think chains remind people of home or where they once lived. It like bringing elements of prior homes to your new home.
Which kind of defeats the purpose of moving, IMO.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:31 PM

2,650 posts, read 6,093,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Lowe's Foods will find itself having difficulties with Publix and Kroger powered Harris Teeter. All three chains pride themselves in quality, value and service. Publix and Harris Teeter have pharmacies; Lowe's Foods does not, and is one reason why they will struggle.
A pharmacy...really? I don't think having a pharmacy is a big deal at all, at least it isn't for me. I have never, ever used a grocery store pharmacy--I go there to buy groceries, and the quality/price of groceries is what influences me to choose one over the other. A pharmacy is irrelevant to me.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
A pharmacy...really? I don't think having a pharmacy is a big deal at all, at least it isn't for me. I have never, ever used a grocery store pharmacy--I go there to buy groceries, and the quality/price of groceries is what influences me to choose one over the other. A pharmacy is irrelevant to me.
It must be a big deal to someone or they wouldn't have pharmacies in the stores.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,055 times
I love using the Harris Teeter pharmacy. We recently changed over from a mom & pop pharmacy after moving across town and I have found it far more convenient having my pharmacy inside the grocery store. The pharmacist at Harris Teeter knows us when we walk in, fills our order right away, we can pay for some of our groceries there and our VIC card has even given us discounted prices on our medication. I tend to do my shopping by convenience and less trips.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I love using the Harris Teeter pharmacy. We recently changed over from a mom & pop pharmacy after moving across town and I have found it far more convenient having my pharmacy inside the grocery store. The pharmacist at Harris Teeter knows us when we walk in, fills our order right away, we can pay for some of our groceries there and our VIC card has even given us discounted prices on our medication. I tend to do my shopping by convenience and less trips.
Case in point.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I wonder if it is actually options or familarity? Those who are excited about theses chains setting up shop have most likely lived/shopped where the chain had a market presence.
As for myself, someone who hasn't live out of state, I fail to see the hype. This includes Trader Joes.
The last chain I was excited to see come to town was Costco because my old favorite membership warehouse, Pace, closed when Sam's Club opened.
Quote:
Which kind of defeats the purpose of moving, IMO.
I think your opinion may change if you ever moved out of state! It didn't take me long to feel at home at Harris Teeter or Lowe's (just cannot shop at a Food Lion!), but it was a hard adjustment not finding all the foods I was accustomed to eating. Then you throw in the difference in restaurants and it can be quite shocking. I tend to not be a huge chain shopper, but I am into food and I cook a lot at home. I rarely eat at a chain restaurant if ever, but I did have a hard time not being able to find my favorite food at the grocery store. I quickly adapted, but I have to admit it was refreshing getting my Trader Joe's back!! I relied on Costco when I first moved here for some of my comfort foods, but Trader Joe's has made living in Winston-Salem far easier for me with seeing some of my favorite foods again. I have heard many people rave about Publix, so I am curious to check one out. However, I have never shopped at one before and I highly doubt it will change my shopping style. I just like seeing anything new coming into Winston-Salem because it gives me hope that the city is seeing positive change. It's far more depressing seeing a dying business than a growing one, even if it has to be a chain!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,971,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Quote:
It must be a big deal to someone or they wouldn't have pharmacies in the stores.
Quote:
Quote:
Case in point.
I like grocery store pharmacies because they provide the same pharmacy services with better and more customer focus than CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreen's. If you ever use pharmacy services, you have options.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I think your opinion may change if you ever moved out of state! It didn't take me long to feel at home at Harris Teeter or Lowe's (just cannot shop at a Food Lion!), but it was a hard adjustment not finding all the foods I was accustomed to eating. Then you throw in the difference in restaurants and it can be quite shocking. I tend to not be a huge chain shopper, but I am into food and I cook a lot at home. I rarely eat at a chain restaurant if ever, but I did have a hard time not being able to find my favorite food at the grocery store. I quickly adapted, but I have to admit it was refreshing getting my Trader Joe's back!! I relied on Costco when I first moved here for some of my comfort foods, but Trader Joe's has made living in Winston-Salem far easier for me with seeing some of my favorite foods again. I have heard many people rave about Publix, so I am curious to check one out. However, I have never shopped at one before and I highly doubt it will change my shopping style. I just like seeing anything new coming into Winston-Salem because it gives me hope that the city is seeing positive change. It's far more depressing seeing a dying business than a growing one, even if it has to be a chain!
Perhaps, but I'm not moving.
However, when I travel I'm not looking for familiar

Old 08-27-2013, 02:39 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,878,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Next up, a Wegman's and Zara in Winston!
Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point