U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 10:45 PM

23 posts, read 38,109 times

Advertisements

Hi Laneynewport,

Thank you for your comprehensive response. I actually visit the NC Dental Society website every other day. It currently has no leads. I will definitely look into the Chambers of Commerce for more information. As far as starting and purchasing a practice there are organizations and systems in place that help extensively, which I am currently researching.

I have secured employment in Asheboro, so I plan to take my time to research the best areas to purchase/establish a practice. I also plan on joining a few dental organizations and volunteering to really get a good feel of the community.

I plan to commute everyday from Greensboro. Will the commute be that bad? I believe it will be about 30 minutes. Does that sound correct? I will be in the Greensboro area on Friday to do some childcare research. I will see for myself possibly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Smile Angel, I'm not African American but I DID get my Master's at Howard.

There is a good sized middle class AfAm population here in Greensboro, many of whom are academics. There are 2 historically black colleges here.

I can't help you with the specifics (like activities and organizations) but I think you might find what you are looking for. Come visit, ride around, and talk to some local people.
Hi Sue At The Rock,

I appreciate your reply. I plan to visit for about a week towards the end of September.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro has a decent African-American population. The state's largest HBCU (NC A&T) is located here as well.
GSOBOI78,

It is nice to know that there is an above average amount of African American individuals thriving in Greensboro.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I knew a black woman dentist in Oakland who carved out a niche market for herself by advertising as a "Pain Free" dentist the served all ages but specialized in Children.

Winston-Salem and High Point seem to have more ... walking, "Downtown" areas than Greensboro which seems a bit more spread out and typically "mall" oriented. (I've only been here a short time so don't take my word as gospel.)
VeganWriter,

I will definitely do a demographic study before I set up shop. I will truly find out where there is a need for my services and produce the most success. Thank you!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
As far as a good non-denominational church, my wife and I just started going to Westover Church and we absolutely love it. There is a good mix of all races there.
SkinGuy,

I will look into your church when I move to Greensboro. Thank you for the invitation!

Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 AM

97 posts, read 253,752 times
No problem! I love answering questions for people looking to come to the area although I know much less about Greensboro than I do Kernersville, High Point and Winston. Your post caught my attention because years ago, I worked at home as a medical transcriptionist. A good friend did also and we decided to team up and start a business. We both made good money and were fine but with no planning or capital we rented office space, bought expensive software to take call-in dictation from doctors who each had a code that our system would identity and put in their queue, bought office furniture, everything. We joined the Chamber of Commerce and were referred to a business admin professor at the community college who mentored new small business owners. Until our meeting with him, it never dawned on us to make sure there was a market to support that much overhead. We didn't know what market research was... lol oh my goodness, it was sad. But we were young and on a lark. It was a lesson learned but expensive- tons of debt. They also put us in touch with the head admin of a local group of doctors to help us develop a network of contacts and potential clients. She helped us secure the only other account we would ever get before realizing it was over. Both were valuable resources though. One connected us with a solid client, the other shared business advice coupled with a knowledge of the area and local businesses so I figured they were ideas worth passing along. You're obviously doing your homework and planning carefully. I'm sure you'll be able to gather all the info you need to get off to a great start.

Re: childcare? Don't rely on websites, reviews, or even what you hear personally from people who swear by their kids' daycare or preschool. You just have to go and meet the people and size them up. I promise you, there's no amount of research that'll tell you as much as you'll learn within five minutes of walking into a place.

As far as the commute- I've never had to drive 220 regularly but the few times I have been on 220 around this area, I remember it being an easy drive. Timing a commute to Greensboro is difficult. Depending on the address, the difference could be a good 15 minutes, maybe more. A 30 minute commute, nearly all interstate, and a 50 minute commute-much of that time spent in morning traffic going through the heart of Greensboro are two different things. But you'll know more once you start honing in on a specific area.

I'm really excited for you and wish you well!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
You can find a good central location between Greensboro, High Point, and Kernersville and that would include Archdale, Oak Ridge and Summerfield. Greensboro is one of the first places the Civil Rights movement started. You have A&T State and Bennett college which are primarily black. You have UNCG and Guilford College which are fair minded. There may be several dentists here but very few good ones. I have to go to Kernersville to see my dentist. There are plenty good children schools or day cares if you are careful to pick the right ones. I think your business would be good but your child is the most important thing to consider. There are racist here as every where. I only noticed your ad as I was looking to rent a couple of rooms in my house. My house is too large for me as I am a widower and I love children. That might be of help if you needed a person if you trusted them to help with your Child. East
Greensboro is predominately that black section but is gradually changing. My family has been here for over 400 years so I am a southern person and I have as many black friends as any other . If I can assist you in any way let me know .

Old 10-11-2014, 11:44 AM

819 posts, read 1,012,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmileAngel View Post
Hello, I'm thinking of moving from Asheville to Greensboro and would like to know about the african american population/experience.

I am a 32 year old dentist who is highly motivated to open or purchase a quality dental practice in the near future. Are there any locations in the triad area currently where one can open a patient centered dental practice and expect a decent level of business with a fairly high level of pedestrian traffic versus strip center-like areas?

I also have a 2 year old sweet daughter. Therefore, education, child care, family activities, access to a good church (non-denominational), art, diversity, extracurricular activities (gymnastics, swimming, dance, music) and safety are very high on the list. Any recommendations are welcomed and valued when it comes to these things.

What neighborhoods are nice, safe and have good schools? I plan to rent a house/apartment until I purchase/open a practice.

Does the area have active black professional organizations that reach out to the community?

Is there a fair number of educated middle class African Americans? Asheville has close to zero, which is sad, to say the least.

Is there several African American dentist currently in the area?

Any recommendations for a top notch nanny and/or daycare (only thing truly holding me back)?

The most important things right now is providing a healthy balanced environment for my daughter, truly being involved/part of a good community, and accomplishing my professional goals. Can the Triad area provide this for a female black professional?

I understand that Charlotte/Durham was voted as one of the best places for african americans.... but I'm not interested in living in Charlotte/Durham(too much traffic). I would really appreciate some feed back, especially from the african american community, but all are welcomed to provide there honest sincere thoughts. Thank you in advance for your help!
i'm not sure i understand that, i think you mean Raleigh? top 5 largest cities in NC.

Charlotte 792.862

Raleigh 431.736

Greensboro 280.639

Durham 245.475.

Winston Salem 236,441

Old 10-11-2014, 12:40 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,760 times
Default Wow ... this thread is a year old

This thread is a year old.
Wonder if she's still thinking about it or if she's actually made the move?

Knowing what I know now, I'd encourage her to move to Raleigh-Durham-CH instead of Greensboro.
Better yet, Virginia and avoid NC all together.

Y'all too hard on, "intruders."
It's goes beyond silly, and onto ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:59 PM

449 posts, read 377,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmileAngel View Post
Hello, I'm thinking of moving from Asheville to Greensboro and would like to know about the african american population/experience.

I am a 32 year old dentist who is highly motivated to open or purchase a quality dental practice in the near future. Are there any locations in the triad area currently where one can open a patient centered dental practice and expect a decent level of business with a fairly high level of pedestrian traffic versus strip center-like areas?

I also have a 2 year old sweet daughter. Therefore, education, child care, family activities, access to a good church (non-denominational), art, diversity, extracurricular activities (gymnastics, swimming, dance, music) and safety are very high on the list. Any recommendations are welcomed and valued when it comes to these things.

What neighborhoods are nice, safe and have good schools? I plan to rent a house/apartment until I purchase/open a practice.

Does the area have active black professional organizations that reach out to the community?

Is there a fair number of educated middle class African Americans? Asheville has close to zero, which is sad, to say the least.

Is there several African American dentist currently in the area?

Any recommendations for a top notch nanny and/or daycare (only thing truly holding me back)?

The most important things right now is providing a healthy balanced environment for my daughter, truly being involved/part of a good community, and accomplishing my professional goals. Can the Triad area provide this for a female black professional?

I understand that Charlotte/Durham was voted as one of the best places for african americans.... but I'm not interested in living in Charlotte/Durham(too much traffic). I would really appreciate some feed back, especially from the african american community, but all are welcomed to provide there honest sincere thoughts. Thank you in advance for your help!

You realize you sound a bit racist don't you .... good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point