U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 PM

285 posts, read 949,222 times

Advertisements

I recently started a new job at UNCG, but live in Orange County. My husband works in the Chapel Hill area, but is considering looking for a new position in the Triad area, as his line of work is easier to transfer, and we would love to both work and live in the same community. We have both ridden though neighborhoods in Greensboro, and find the area to our liking. We like older neighborhoods, from the early 1900s through the fifties, and the quality of the schools are very important to us. The ability to walk or bike to area restaurants, pubs, and shops (or even to UNCG) would be highly desirable, but not required. The quality of the schools are our highest priority, with older neighborhoods being a close second. We were pleased with the vibe we found in the Aycock district, Lindley Park, and College Hill, though these are the only three neighborhoods we've checked out thus far. We would love to stay under 200K, but could probably easily accommodate up to 250K, maybe even higher for the right place. Our daughter is in second grade now, but we are also looking ahead to middle and high school. Also, we prefer Greensboro to other cities in the Triad, because my mother is in Hillsborough, and we prefer to stay reasonably close to her. My dream home would be an Arts and Crafts style bungalow in a neighborhood with some other kids for our daughter to play with, in a great school district, where we could bike or walk to grab a good brew and nice meal. Any neighborhood suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM

106 posts, read 201,477 times
Well, I love my neighborhood. I am in the Sternberger/Kiser/Grimsley school district. I can walk 1.3 miles through a beautiful city garden (The Bog Garden) and get to Starbucks, upscale shopping, Whole Foods, the nicest Harris Teeter in the south.

I am about to put my house up for sale and move to Washington State for my husband's job. I will really miss my neighborhood. I live 3 blocks from the Green Valley Swim club, etc. My neighborhood is Green Valley.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,696,400 times
pierced, I grew up in Green Valley. Mama still lives there. It's a very nice neighborhood.

Ida, also look at Westerwood-the neighborhood with the bungalows. I recently returned and bought a place in Garden Homes, but I wanted small and most of these are.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 AM

285 posts, read 949,222 times
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out Westerwood and Green Valley. They are both reasonably close to work, have older homes, and I'll investigate the schools. I consider "older neighborhoods" those that were primarily built before the 90s (preference for pre-1960), established, wooded, and have linear streets rather than cul de sacs.

I saw some crazy inexpensive old homes in the Aycock district. Is it reasonably safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point