U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,020 times

Advertisements

To MJD27 Have you moved yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 13,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD27 View Post
rmhpmi:
Thank you very much for your honest and informative response. I appreciate it very much.

High humidity may be a concern, but it's not really something that's at the top of our list. We live in the Northeast and are beyond tired of the northeast winters and heating bills. Putting up with some humidity would be a small price after the past few winters we've had, to be honest.

I'm not sure about the High Country...I'm a little disappointed about the prejudice you mentioned. I completely understand it's not meant mean-spirited, and in fact I appreciate your honesty. I guess it's just a bit disappointing because I have the stereotypical view of Southern hospitality in my brain, where manners and politeness is the norm rather than the exception as it is around here.

Asheville, I think, is relatively pricey, as is Chapel Hill and Raleigh, for our price range, but perhaps not impossible.

Winston Salem does seem to fall right in our price range, though. So it's a definite possibility.
I'd like to know more about Winston Salem, specifically regarding education, culture, diversity, etc. Can you speak to any of those things? As a native, your insight would be much appreciated.

Again, thank you very much for your thoughtful response.
Having lived in Advance, NC for 6 years I can say that it really depends on your location as to the acceptance of newcomers. Bermuda Run and Oak Valley Residents have a high percentage of "newcomers" so they are much more accepting than the rest of Davie County. I love living there and I really did feel like people weren't that rude. But there is definitely a prejudiced throughout NC for "Northerners" Or "Patriots" you just have to find the right neighborhood but a good realtor can help with that. I love Davie county because prices are lower as are property taxes. But there are many downsides of Davie as well.

Mainly the old fashioned notions in our County Commissioners and in the voting citizens that are electing these guys regarding the need for a High School. The county citizens are so proud of their football team that isn't even that impressive, but they can't accept building a new school because that would lower their class of football they would be smaller and in a smaller class. So the newest push by parents that really want change and are trying to appease the old school community is to build one "new" High School that is more central to the community. The county is huge and really should have two schools just because it doesn't matter where they put the school someone is going to have to travel a lot to get there. But anyway other than the high school debate I love Advance, NC. I do think the parents will get a vote on Novembers ballot to build the "new" high school and I think that it will pass. So it should be built by 2016.

We lived in Covington Creek Neighborhood and I love the Elementary school Shady Grove Elementary and the middle school Ellis Middle School. They consistently receive Awards and high scores on their tests. And the whole community in that area is very religious and loving toward each other.

We do have our home for sale if you are interested. 117 Cumberland Ct, Advance, NC 27006 is For Sale - Zillow

My husbands work had us relocate to FL and I personally would have love to stay in NC I really do love it there.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM

42 posts, read 61,920 times
Have to Agree with Sue at the Rock, Greensboro has some very nice affordable neighborhoods that are wonderful to raise your children. There are many activities for families in the area, good restaurants (small and local and chains), all in areas of good schools. Most people are very friendly and helpful. Be glad to give you more information in the area just send me a message.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,553,528 times
I am from the Eastern part of the state and I can assure you that the "you ain't from around here" vibe prevails there as well.

I would focus on where you think you can land jobs. Unemployment in NC is high right now. People in NC certainly are more *cordial* than people in Northern NJ, but not necessarily welcoming or friendly.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 20,405 times
I have to agree with the whole 'you aint from around here' mentality. Southerners can be real backstabbers and of course they will swear that its not like that. I think you really have to find a place where you have a real multi-cultural vibe. I wouldn't reccomend anywhere in the mountains for non-southerners to relocate, except maybe Boone- you might be ok there. Winston-Salem has an excellent charter school called the Arts Based Elementary that both of my older boys attended. It is very open and would be a great place to meet new and accepting people. I also highly reccomend Chapel Hill/Carrboro. There is a large international community for a town so small and despite the size and the higher cost you will find the standard of living to be excellent and the amenities the same as a much larger metro area plus Raleigh/Durham is very nearby. Of all the places I have lived/visited I think that Carrboro would be my favorite place to live.
Greensboro would also be ok, but I think it is over rated and it definitely has a 'for the young folks' vibe. I wouldn't think of it as particularly family friendly and you will want to murder your gps because even that will fail you there. I don't know why but myself and everyone I know (even folks who have lived there) tend to get lost in Greensboro.
I am not particularly fond of Charlotte but I know plenty of people who are. I feel it has a snooty 'new money-young blood' kindof feel to it, which of course is why some people love it but I feel it lacks character. I also get lost in Charlotte, but unlike elsewhere, I feel that Charlotte residents receive some kind of perverted joy out of sending visitors in the wrong direction.
Asheville is supposed to be this wonderful hippie town where everyone is just 'so awesome' but I haven't seen it. Boone is small but they have the 'ultimate party college' and really laid back hippies. I find it a great place to relax but I don't know about living there. You might get bored or just frustrated. The mountains are undoubtedly beautiful though, however I also find the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area to be astonishingly beautiful.
This is an opinion from a long time NC resident. I have been all over the state and lived in Winston-Salem and Carrboro if you had any further questions about them

Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM

42 posts, read 61,920 times
Greensboro is a very nice place to raise your family, it has many things to offer. There are some very good schools in the area and many communities that are family centric. Most everyone will talk to you and help you, you really don't ever feel like you are an outsider. Many people who live here aren't from here. I moved here 15yrs ago and never left. Every town has it's good and it's bad, but overall, great place to live.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM

29 posts, read 108,537 times
My wife and I lived in the Triad of NC for 8 years and may be returning to NC for good to retire in 2014. We also owned a residential cleaning business there and had the opportunity to see many different areas in the Triad. The state is a great place to live and retire. It has three different climates depending on where you live: Mountains, the Piedmont or the Coast. The cost of living is quite reasonable in the Triad compared to some other places in the U.S. The roads are good and the state even landscapes the interstates. You have about 3 months of winter and 9 months of fair weather. Plus, you can grow certain things almost year round. We lived in W-S, Kernersville & King. There is much affordable housing available compared to many states up North. There is also culture and many recreational opportunities. Best wishes on your relo.!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM

65 posts, read 82,719 times
Thank you all for your wonderful and informative responses. We have not moved yet, as we are still saving and researching (doing this the smart way, not rushing into anything).

I have to say that my research has narrowed down to Winston-Salem or Greensboro, as it seems all other areas in which we would be interested (Asheville, Carrboro, Chapel Hill, etc) have actually become too pricey for us! Even by New Jersey standards.

Can anyone provide some insight on the best areas of Winston-Salem or Greensboro? I'm leaning towards Winston-Salem, but either would be appreciated.

I have seen a lot of recommendations for Clemmons- can anyone speak to this area?

My biggest issue is that (and perhaps I'm being cynical) I'm concerned that low rent prices equal higher crime or less desirable areas generally. This may be because I am from New Jersey, and oftentimes rent prices this low literally seem too good to be true.

Thank you again for your thoughtful responses!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times
I live in Clemmons...if you like suburban living you will love it here. It's not a walkable town, but has great walking areas and trails like Tanglewood Park. It's a pretty nice place to live, but it depends on what you're looking for. Downtown has some nice lofts and condos. West End and Ardmore both have beautiful homes with yards but ate not as suburban in nature as Clemmons. I'm sure there are great neighborhoods all over WS, but the west side of the city has always been my favorite. Shopping, nightlife, etc are in closer proximity.

Your concern about lower rent prices is very valid. If you want a nice, safe place to live you usually have to pay for it. That said, an area like Clemmons has a handful of nice apartment communities and Clemmons has little to no crime. But in the city, I would avoid rents that are too good to be true because you run into less desirable/higher crime areas.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 20,405 times
Having resided in Winston-Salem for a long time I will say that so long as you avoid East and South Winston you should be fine. North Winston sometimes gets a bad rap for being kindof 'country' but its pretty darn safe in comparison with the rest of the city and much prettier in my opinion although it isn't really convenient to anywhere. Ardmore and Historic West End and Buena Vista are going to be your trendier neighborhoods. They are much more conveniently situated to the artsy center of town but not necessarily the best bang for your buck. There are some ok areas in South Winston but whatever you do avoid East Winston. Like I said I lived in W-S for about 20years and I couldn't tell you what was over there. Even High School kids looking for thrills know better than to venture East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point