U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,757 times

Advertisements

We came to NC from the NE in '93 and stayed for a little over 10 years (Raleigh area) and moved back north for six years (job reasons). We came back to NC in 2009 and spent 5+ years in the High Country and now looking to relo to the Triad (job reasons). If mountains are important, then I recommend Asheville - although you said it's pricey. If you love the beach (but don't want to live too close), then the Triangle is the place. Charlotte (home of NASCAR) - I would avoid CLT - it's hot, humid, big and busy - plus the COL seems to be a little higher than other locales. W-S is a nice size city and the Triad has all the amenities you will need, and traffic is nothing like RDU or CLT. Education for your children - Chapel Hill by far is the best, but COL is higher. If you want to be with other folks from the North, then RDU/Cary is probably most influenced by the relos. My ranking would be: Triangle, Triad, Coast (Wilmington), Asheville. But that's driven by our lifestyle, family and future retirement wants/needs. Best of luck. I don't think you will be disappointed coming to NC. Many great places to live, work and have higher ed opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 07:07 PM

55 posts, read 35,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD27 View Post
Hello all, and thank you ahead of time for reading and answering, if you choose to!

Prior to starting, let me say that I have thoroughly researched many of the relocation threads regarding Greensboro, Winston Salem, Charlotte and surrounding neighborhoods, as well as other areas such as Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (where I've posted this question as well). I've gotten much information from those threads and I'm thankful that they are there. However, I still would like to get as much input as I can for our particular situation.

We live in New Jersey and have given ourselves a "time budget" of one to two years prior to moving to research, visit, and find a job/make necessary arrangements. We are moving because New Jersey has become financially impossible for us to live in anymore- we cannot afford heating bills, especially, and rentals are outrageously expensive for not much. Also, unfortunately, we are getting tired of the lack of respect and manners in the area where we live. We know that you can find jerks everywhere, but it just seems that there is an alarming rate of disrespect and disregard for your neighbor around here.

We looked at Florida and said no thanks, mainly because of lack of job opportunity and the intense humidity that my husband would have to work in- yuck - and the feedback we received. We have been focusing lately on North Carolina, specifically the areas mentioned above ( however we are not opposed to suggestions in other areas or even other states, if you are so inclined ).

-First, my husband is an automotive technician, more specifically, an ASE certified master automotive technician. I work part-time as an environmental report editor, (essentially proofreader/editor). In the past I have worked as a legal secretary, as well.

-We have one toddler son who will be starting preschool/kindergarten around the time we would be moving. So good schools are important.

-We would be looking for a 2-4 bedroom home to rent in the price range of $700 up to $1300 at most. Affordability is key. We would love to have a backyard for our son to play in, and a garage for my husband to keep his tools and work on vehicles.

-We would enjoy an area that has a lot of outdoor activities, culture (i.e. museums, concerts, good BBQ and foodie restaurants, etc.), diversity, and a welcoming vibe.

We're really not hipsters or political or any of that- I guess we lean left politically- we're just regular people looking for a better life where we can worry less about money and give our son a good education and upbringing around people concerned with values and hospitality, compassion and education.

What is the area for us, do you think?

Again, thank you for reading, and thank you very much for replying It is much appreciated!
Hello, I was just wondering if you moved yet? I'm
Moving to Greensboro and wanted some feedback, thank you.
I know original post is old but I'm just giving it a shot!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 PM

62 posts, read 63,716 times
Been living in Lewisville for 9 mths but working in Winston for three years. What feedback would you like?

Old 04-28-2017, 09:12 PM

447 posts, read 286,194 times
I'm interested in the Greensboro are as well. I'll be interested in what others say about it. COL, good communities to live, areas to avoid. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:45 AM

62 posts, read 63,716 times
I cannot speak to Greensboro but in Forsyth county schools can differ dramatically based on area. COL is all about the same everywhere in Forsyth except for prop taxes. Lewisville is nice and quiet. Clemmons is growing. Ardmore can be a little expensive (smaller homes/property size and higher taxes). Pfafftown can be affordable and Bethania is real nice. Kernersville is perfect location if you want Winston Salem and Greensboro central access. There seems to be a rising interest in areas south along the Davie county and Davidson county lines. Schools are good and you get a feel for living in he country. Plus there are signs of growth and expansion especially along I40 from Clemmons. Advance is also very nice but a little pricey.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:12 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I'm interested in the Greensboro are as well. I'll be interested in what others say about it. COL, good communities to live, areas to avoid. Thanks.
Lots of great neighborhoods in the west and northwest part of Greensboro. Further out, places like Summerfield, Oak Ridge and Stokesdale are good areas.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM

55 posts, read 35,616 times
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point