U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:21 PM

138 posts, read 705,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I think Lewisville is one of the areas that was annexed by Winston-Salem and where after a lengthy court battle which Forsyth Citizens Against Forced Annexation lost, homeowners now owe 21 months worth of back taxes to W-S.

I haven't stayed current on how soon those taxes are due. There was some talk about stretching out the payments but apparently that plan had to be approved by the N.C. General Assembly. I honestly don't know if Clemmons was annexed. IMHO, it would be a real good idea to check carefully into both.

Best wishes,

Cassie

WOW! Sounds scary. I'll definitely check into that. Are W-S taxes way higher than the surrounding areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM

30 posts, read 101,918 times
north west area of greensboro i hear is really nice and alot of things going on there with contruction of new things always happening

Old 10-17-2006, 05:26 PM

138 posts, read 705,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymets2k02 View Post
north west area of greensboro i hear is really nice and alot of things going on there with contruction of new things always happening
I've heard that too. A poster here named JAS has mentioned that several times. If we have time on our next visit, we'll scope it out.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM

18 posts, read 103,210 times
Default In order: Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point...

In order: Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point.

Born in Greensboro, lived there 16 years; Moved to High Point, lived there 9 years. Dated (and eventually married) a guy who lived and worked in Winston-Salem (spent A LOT of time there!), near the Hanes Mall area; Also I lived in West End section (kinda artsy) of Winston for a while.

Definitely, definitely Greensboro. If we could move back there, we would in a heartbeat. Love the diversity. It's an innovative area but still retains its charm, historic neighborhoods, and has ongoing downtown revitalization efforts. Lots of colleges: Guilford College, Greensboro College, UNC-Greensboro, NC A & T State University, Bennett College, and Guilford Tech Community College, just to name a few.

Great area and always a pleasure to visit.

Winston-Salem: Lots of revitalization going on, especially in the downtown area. Lofts and trendy digs, actually some 'green building' going on near S. Main Street, as I recall. Pretty forward-thinking. Wake Forest University and School of the Arts are located in Winston, as is Old Salem, the Moravian settlement. The Moravian ginger cookies are yummy beyond belief. Oh, and there's a Chipotle restaurant in Hanes Mall. What could be better than that? Oh, and Forsyth County has the lowest tax rate of the three cities.

High Point: I left there in 1995 and was amazed at how much the area had grown after being gone only 3 years. Furniture Capital of the World, but that's about it, really. My mom still lives there, retired. Lots of houses for sale in Emerywood, which is a very desirable area. Home of the NC Shakespeare Festival. Some downtown revitalization but mostly geared to furniture market visitors looking for accomodations during market, renovated factories and old furniture buildings. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Greensboro, Greensboro, Greensboro, Greensboro, Greensboro!!!

Last edited by Stacey1968; 10-23-2006 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add tax info...

Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Default Bumping this for the poster asking about Greensboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey1968 View Post
In order: Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point.

Born in Greensboro, lived there 16 years; Moved to High Point, lived there 9 years. Dated (and eventually married) a guy who lived and worked in Winston-Salem (spent A LOT of time there!), near the Hanes Mall area; Also I lived in West End section (kinda artsy) of Winston for a while.

Definitely, definitely Greensboro. If we could move back there, we would in a heartbeat. Love the diversity. It's an innovative area but still retains its charm, historic neighborhoods, and has ongoing downtown revitalization efforts. Lots of colleges: Guilford College, Greensboro College, UNC-Greensboro, NC A & T State University, Bennett College, and Guilford Tech Community College, just to name a few.

Great area and always a pleasure to visit.

Winston-Salem: Lots of revitalization going on, especially in the downtown area. Lofts and trendy digs, actually some 'green building' going on near S. Main Street, as I recall. Pretty forward-thinking. Wake Forest University and School of the Arts are located in Winston, as is Old Salem, the Moravian settlement. The Moravian ginger cookies are yummy beyond belief. Oh, and there's a Chipotle restaurant in Hanes Mall. What could be better than that? Oh, and Forsyth County has the lowest tax rate of the three cities.

High Point: I left there in 1995 and was amazed at how much the area had grown after being gone only 3 years. Furniture Capital of the World, but that's about it, really. My mom still lives there, retired. Lots of houses for sale in Emerywood, which is a very desirable area. Home of the NC Shakespeare Festival. Some downtown revitalization but mostly geared to furniture market visitors looking for accomodations during market, renovated factories and old furniture buildings. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Greensboro, Greensboro, Greensboro, Greensboro, Greensboro!!!
I am bumping this previous post up for the poster with concerns about Greensboro

Old 11-09-2006, 08:23 AM

478 posts, read 1,695,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwguy View Post
I'm sorry you've heard so many bad things about the crime rate in Winston-Salem. Go ahead and called me biased--I grew up within Winston-Salem city limits (near the mall) and still live part-time in Advance (in Davie County about 15-20 mins from downtown W-S). As with any city of its size, there are certainly neighborhoods you want to avoid, but we never had any problems. Going out to eat at night or going to Borders late at night has never been an issue...

Since the departure of Wachovia and other companies, as well as Krispy Kreme's struggles, the city is not the brightest bulb when it comes to jobs and opportunities, but with BB&T, Wake Forest and its medical center, as well as RJR, it still offers a great family environment, connection with the arts, and an ideal location in North Carolina. Be sure to check out Clemmons and Lewisville (both suburbs of W-S).
It seems that despite the departure of Wachovia, that W-S is still growing in population. My research suggests it is recovering rather well.

What about suburban areas? Are these cities like Charlotte in that there are basically no suburbs? I am thinking of relocating to the area and would like a nice quiet family neighborhood with good schools and strip malls (yeah, I LIKE strip malls... )

Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 AM

699 posts, read 2,341,276 times
Clemmons and Lewisville are both incorporated cities, each with its own mayor and city council. Winston Salem can only annex unincorporated areas of the county.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 17,749 times
Thumbs up Greensboro & surrounding

Outskirts of G'boro plus the city itself make it the best choice of all three. Visit the downtown area and drive around the location. Look into "suburbs" of G'boro like Summerfield, Stoney Creek, Cardinal, etc.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 PM

26 posts, read 87,112 times
Default North of greensboro

North of Greensboro you have the smaller communites of Oakridge,
Summerfield, Stokesdale, and then Rockingham county communities
these are smaller, more country settings
Then you hit the Virginia line, Close enough to drive to work to Greensboro or Winston and then go home to the peace of country living
South of Greensboro you have the smaller communities of Pleasant Garden, Level Cross (Home of Richard Petty) Randleman, Ramseur, Franklinville, Climax
again smaller country areas close enough to the big cities where you can have the best of both worlds

Old 01-22-2007, 04:34 PM

11 posts, read 51,930 times
Default Jamestown

I'm looking to relocate to the Greensboro area in the next few months. I've found an apartment complex in Jamestown that looks nice and at an affordable price. I haven't heard good things about High point yet and I was wondering if Jamestown is any better? Is the rent kind of cheap because it's not a good place to live? Thanks for any imput!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point