U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,334 times

Advertisements

Winston-Salem also has lots more homes with basements, partial basements and basement-garages. This is something my husband and I both really prefer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,320 times
High Point is old and run-down, it has very limited areas that are nice, but if you are going to purchase a home I beleive the taxes are cheaper in High Point. I don't know to much about Winston except that I don't like the lay-out of that city. The 40 and 52 which are main freeways in Winston are very congested in the morning. Greensboro or the area between Greensboro( Mckleansville ) and Burlington would be my choice. McKleansville is 15 minutes into Greensboro or Burlington.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 25,119 times
Everybody has an opinion on this subject. Personally, we live in High Point and really like it. It's smack dab in the middle of everything. 20 minutes to DT Greensboro or anywhere in W-S. There are a few "pockets" in High Point that are treasures. One is off 311 and North Main Street. Two neighborhoods called DelMar and Laurel Oak Ranch. They are actually in Davidson County -- which means better schools and lower taxes than Guilford or Forsyth. Nice homes in the $150s to 250s. Great communities! And not at all ghetto.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 AM

392 posts, read 410,278 times
Bumpity bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael37611 View Post
Jamestown is too small to be rated bad...you might sneeze on your way out of HighPoint into Greensboro and miss it
LOL! That's the best description I've ever heard!

We thought Jamestown tiny, lovely, and definitely an option in our plans as it's not really very far from UNCG in the scheme of things.

DH and I have traveled the entire state in search of our future home. The Raleigh area, GSO and its surrounds (including WS), Asheville and its surrounds, Fayetteville (ick), Wilmington, and even bopped down to Rock Hill, SC (all of this for scouting grad schools, btw). The GSO area is the only one that called to us. Since that state trip, we have made three trips to the GSO area, and we are convinced that it does indeed beat out WS and HP, hands down, for a multitude of reasons... not the least of which is the atmosphere and the amenities.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM

33 posts, read 102,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
Greensboro is more-or-less family oriented. Winston-Salem tends to be a little younger and a little more "artsy".

High Point has many run down ghetto type areas and fewer "nice" areas.
winston-salem is actually older than greensboro, greensboro just turned 200 winston-salem well really salem is older

Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 PM

33 posts, read 102,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetlygrubb View Post
Everybody has an opinion on this subject. Personally, we live in High Point and really like it. It's smack dab in the middle of everything. 20 minutes to DT Greensboro or anywhere in W-S. There are a few "pockets" in High Point that are treasures. One is off 311 and North Main Street. Two neighborhoods called DelMar and Laurel Oak Ranch. They are actually in Davidson County -- which means better schools and lower taxes than Guilford or Forsyth. Nice homes in the $150s to 250s. Great communities! And not at all ghetto.
you are right on the money on that i live on the northside of high point and its really nice here no problems but really northside of hp seems to be the nicer place that and west side in davidson county and emerywood

Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,011,025 times
Post Winston-Salem in the top 100 for Best Places for families to live!

Winston-Salem rated #99 out of 100 recently in BestLife Magazine for "Best Places for families", here is how they created their ratings..

"Television executives seized the idea long ago: American families value where they plant their roots. The Cosbys had Brooklyn. The Cunninghams, Milwaukee. The Simpsons, Springfield. But fathers face reality when they're not in prime time. They want to raise their children somewhere safe, where they can attend good schools with favorable student-teacher ratios, above-average test scores and respectable budgets. Plenty of museums, parks and pediatricians also contribute to a good quality of life, whereas multihour commutes, expensive houses and divorcing friends and neighbors do not. Best Life editors used these categories and data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the National Center for Education Statistics, the FBI, the American Association of Museums, the National Center for Health Statistics and the American Bar Association to evaluate 257 cities. Here are the best and worst places to raise a family.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 PM

109 posts, read 351,326 times
Personally, I have lived in all 3 Triad cities. I never liked High Point and have no desire to ever live there again. Winston-Salem and Greensboro offer the same amenities. Greensboro is more of a suburban city, while Winston-Salem is the only city with a true urban and artsy feel. Greensboro and High Point offer more blue colar jobs, while Winston-Salem has more professional white collar jobs. Either way you cannot really go wrong with either Greensboro or Winston-Salem.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
I would just say that Greensboro has a tiny bit more "southern" look and feel to it, and (not meaning anything to subtract, just a comment) Winston a bit more "northeastern" for some reason to me. Both have about the same traffic, industrial areas, shopping, and older neighborhoods with quiet charm, parks, education facilities, etc. I also have gone to school and/or worked in both... and Winston is a bit hillier/snowier (within a regional sense, not a whole climate difference).

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,653 times
Cassie, I'm considering moving to High Point . Does your husband know anything about the Emerywood Estates neighborhood, crime rate, etc. I saw a home ther that looks nice. Thanks so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point