Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM

26 posts, read 94,179 times

Advertisements

Jamestown is too small to be rated bad...you might sneeze on your way out of HighPoint into Greensboro and miss it
I went to school there, but that was a long long time ago...
I've never heard any negative comments about Jamestown
Depends on what you're renting and who you're renting from, I suppose as to why the rates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:10 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,297 times
Default Triad Area

My pick for the best of the three is Greensboro. Although the street layout has always been confusing and all the streets/highways seem to go around in circles, traffic still flows better than most cities I have visited, including Charlotte and Raleigh. The shopping in Greensboro is incredible! Many people even drive 100 miles to shop at the newer upscale shopping centers that are springing up on every corner. I think Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point will soon grow into one major city similar to Charlotte. After this happens, I wonder if living here will be as desirable but until then, it is a great place to visit and to live. The northern part of town is considered among the nicest areas to live. Good Luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:12 PM

41 posts, read 196,206 times
Default WS, Greensboro and High Point

Here, Here and Thank You KWGUY. I agree with your view of Winston and for that matter Greensboro/High Point. My current job has me interacting with the PD of Greensboro/High Point. As you stated, there are areas in both of those cities (just like Winston) where you would not want to venture into.

I can only speak to the night life (safety aspect) in Greensboro and Winston. Both cities are making it a major point in the cities development, therefore the PD for both cities has a priority in those areas (which I agree with, but would like to see in other areas of the cities that I work in/with having a higher priority).

If you stay aware when you are out at night, both cities will be relatively safe. Areas around UNCG and Wake are relatively safe also. I read more about people getting mugged in shopping centers and their homes verses going out at night.

Again, Thank You KWGUY for your input........

Old 01-31-2007, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,234 times
Greensboro for sure. the city is culturally diverse with many shopping, restaurant and entertainment options. Downtown revitalizaton has really picked up in Greensboro and there are more projects under construction or planned here than any other Triad downtown. Greensboro has the best park system in the Triad and is a great place for raisning families and is becoming a hot place for singles with its vibrant nightlife. Plus the airport is Greensboro

Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,790 times
I completely agree with this post.
I have lived in GSBO, Summerfield, Now outside of HP, we have only been in this HP area less than 2 years and we just purchased back in Summerfield.... HP has alot of less than desirable areas.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,894 times
The airport not in Greensboro, but in Guilford County, located between the cities of Gso and Winston-Salem and serves both cities. There are dozens of projects under construction and many more in the planning stages for downtown W-S. I've lived in both cities and loved living in each of them...but W-S has much more to offer and has a larger and taller downtown. It seems like a much larger city than Gso, while the population is about the same. The history, the arts, the downtown, the parks, the job market - Winston-Salem is better by far. But don't listen to a stranger...check it out for yourself.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 9,234 times
that is correct. technically the airport is not within Greensboro city limits and that due to an agreement the city had with Winston-Salem and High Point. However Greensboro city limits surround the airport so at the same time you cant say its between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem's downtown seem more urban because there was a time when Winston-Salem was a larger city than Greensboro. However outside of downtown, Greensboro looks like a larger city than Winston.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,894 times
Yet they are nearly the same in population...I'm not sure about Greensboro's, but W-S is 227,000. I like GSO, I lived there for 8 years...but in this thread I have noticed a lot of boosterism for GSO and not much positive information about W-S. I'm guessing anyone could be about as happy in one or the other, and they're 20 minutes apart so you really get the benefits of both by choosing the Triad.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:28 PM

8 posts, read 33,771 times
Would any of you nice NC folk care to give a rough idea of the local property taxes in these areas?

I'd appreciate any ballpark idea.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM

116 posts, read 422,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanscraper View Post
Greensboro for sure. the city is culturally diverse . . . and is becoming a hot place for singles with its vibrant nightlife. Pl
Isn't this stretching things just a bit? I grew up outside of Greensboro and still have family in the area. I've never thought of it as being very culturally diverse. My impression is that it's very traditional and VERY conservative. As for being hot for singles and having a vibrant nightlife, how so? Forbes Magazine for a number of years has been ranking the 40 largest metro areas in terms of the best places for singles. Greensboro, for the last two years in a row, has come in dead last on that list, at 40th place. By comparison, Raleigh was number 6 (and #4 the year before), Charlotte is #25, up from #33 the year before. Here's how Greensboro came out in each of the categories:

Singles: 38
Nightlife: 40
Culture: 38
Coolness: 37
Online Dating: 34
Cost of Living: 17
Job Growth: 29

So cost of living is the only indicator where it has done well. (Here's the link: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/3/0...boro_2522.html)

If you want an interesting place with a diverse population, great cultural and intellectual amenities, upscale shopping, and not to mention plenty of good, high- paying professional jobs and exciting college sports teams, you can't go wrong with the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. My big beef with Greensboro is it's so slow to change and seems stuck in the past and not very forward thinking. There are some pretty neighborhoods, and if you're looking for quiet, there's plenty of that. But that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point