U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
 
25 posts, read 82,326 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Which area is better and why? Any input will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times
Reputation: 635
I'd pick Kernersville. It's right in the middle of all 3 of those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 AM
 
138 posts, read 705,022 times
Reputation: 39
Default Peronally, I'd rule High Point out.

Based on my visits to the Triad in the past, I just don't like High Point as much. Everything revolves around the furniture "markets" twice a year.

My wife and I are strongly considering a move to Winston-Salem. It seemed like a very nice place to live, as does Greensboro. They both seemed to have plenty to do while still being cities that aren't too crowded or big.

I'd like to hear some NC natives weigh in on which they like more, Greensboro or Winston-Salem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 11:49 AM
 
127 posts, read 555,889 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman420 View Post
Which area is better and why? Any input will be appreciated
Greensboro is more-or-less family oriented. Winston-Salem tends to be a little younger and a little more "artsy".

High Point has many run down ghetto type areas and fewer "nice" areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
1,261 posts, read 3,895,626 times
Reputation: 757
I live in Greensboro and prefer it to Winston-Salem and High Point. (Especially High Point.) Winston has some nice areas though and would probably be just as good as Greensboro to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 06:52 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,518,664 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman420 View Post
Which area is better and why? Any input will be appreciated
High Point is fine to me for a day trip. Same with Winston-Salem. Wouldn't wanna live in either place. W-S has some nice areas, but overall, we find it a dirty, unappealing, heavily trafficked city. It has plenty of ghetto areas.

Arts and culture? LOL! Well, to each his own in their definition. We wouldn't feel safe enough there to venture out at night trying to find what there is.

My husband, who was formerly in law enforcement, says that the bad parts of High Point are nowhere near as bad as the bad parts of W-S.

Again, to each his own, but W-S isn't a place where I'd choose to live.

Best wishes in making your decision!

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-16-2006 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
 
138 posts, read 705,022 times
Reputation: 39
Default Winston-Salem crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
High Point is fine to me for a day trip. Same with Winston-Salem. Wouldn't wanna live in either place. W-S has some nice areas, but overall, we find it a dirty, unappealing, heavily trafficked city. It has plenty of ghetto areas.

Arts and culture? LOL! Well, to each his own in their definition. We wouldn't feel safe enough there to venture out at night trying to find what there is.

My husband, who was formerly in law enforcement, says that the bad parts of High Point are nowhere near as bad as the bad parts of W-S.

Again, to each his own, but W-S isn't a place where I'd choose to live.

Best wishes in making your decision!

Regards,

Cassie
Hi Cassie. Thank you for your post. The crime problems are definitely a concern to my wife and I. My Mother-in-law grew up in Kernersville and said similar things about W-S. Is it really that bad? Are the bad areas of town spread out, or are they concentrated around the downtown area?

Thanks again for your post. I appreciate any info you or your husband can pass along.

- Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 PM
 
6 posts, read 56,212 times
Reputation: 13
I'm sorry you've heard so many bad things about the crime rate in Winston-Salem. Go ahead and called me biased--I grew up within Winston-Salem city limits (near the mall) and still live part-time in Advance (in Davie County about 15-20 mins from downtown W-S). As with any city of its size, there are certainly neighborhoods you want to avoid, but we never had any problems. Going out to eat at night or going to Borders late at night has never been an issue...

Since the departure of Wachovia and other companies, as well as Krispy Kreme's struggles, the city is not the brightest bulb when it comes to jobs and opportunities, but with BB&T, Wake Forest and its medical center, as well as RJR, it still offers a great family environment, connection with the arts, and an ideal location in North Carolina. Be sure to check out Clemmons and Lewisville (both suburbs of W-S).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 AM
 
138 posts, read 705,022 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwguy View Post
I'm sorry you've heard so many bad things about the crime rate in Winston-Salem. Go ahead and called me biased--I grew up within Winston-Salem city limits (near the mall) and still live part-time in Advance (in Davie County about 15-20 mins from downtown W-S). As with any city of its size, there are certainly neighborhoods you want to avoid, but we never had any problems. Going out to eat at night or going to Borders late at night has never been an issue...

Since the departure of Wachovia and other companies, as well as Krispy Kreme's struggles, the city is not the brightest bulb when it comes to jobs and opportunities, but with BB&T, Wake Forest and its medical center, as well as RJR, it still offers a great family environment, connection with the arts, and an ideal location in North Carolina. Be sure to check out Clemmons and Lewisville (both suburbs of W-S).
I've been told that Clemmons and Lewisville are nice areas. We plan on checking them both out when we visit next month. Do you prefer one over the other? Or are they both pretty much the same?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 02:05 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,518,664 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswines View Post
I've been told that Clemmons and Lewisville are nice areas. We plan on checking them both out when we visit next month. Do you prefer one over the other? Or are they both pretty much the same?

Thanks.
I think Lewisville is one of the areas that was annexed by Winston-Salem, and where, after a lengthy court battle which Forsyth Citizens Against Forced Annexation lost, homeowners now owe 21 months worth of back taxes to W-S.

I haven't stayed current on how soon those taxes are due. There was some talk about stretching out the payments but apparently that plan had to be approved by the N.C. General Assembly. I honestly don't know if Clemmons was annexed. IMHO, it would be a real good idea to check carefully into both.

Best wishes,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-17-2006 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top