U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 191,327 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a week long (home searching) trip to Winston-Salem. We really loved it there! We narrowed it down to three houses that we considering (one in Kernersville, Winston Salem & King) and have decided that the house in King fitted our needs the best. I know its a smaller town, but the area seems really nice and it seems that for any of your big-box store shopping you are really only about 10 miles or so away (at least according to Google maps )

I just wanted to see if there were any posters here who live/or know the King area well....and could give me alittle feedback on the area. Maybe tips on must see places, which areas have the best shopping/amenities - places to eat - etc.

Crossing fingers that we can make this deal work. We are sitting by the phone waiting for our Agent to call us back!!!

Thanks in advance! ~Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 03:44 PM

No one on here is from (or familiar with) the King area?

Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM

39 posts, read 134,591 times
I used to live in King!! I love the area! its a small town and very nice to live in not far from stanleyville which is where the Walmart, Target, Sams and bigger stores are which is about 10-15 mins away and it takes about 20 mins to get to Winston Salem shopping Malls!! Little Italy is a great place to eat in King also if you like the outdoors Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock are only 20 mins away as well!! Good luck!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 AM

32,057 posts, read 13,083,794 times
I live in Mt. Airy and worked in King for over a year. The stores seem clean, although not really into dining there. You are so close to Winston and all the shopping and amenities.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:08 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Agree, King is a nice area. Not a lot of restaurants and shopping, but as others have mentioned you're just minutes away from Winston-Salem if the local places don't have what you need. And essn1977 is right--Hanging Rock State Park is a great resource if you like outdoor activities.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Thank you for the replies!

We got an accepted offer on the house we liked.....so we will be new home owners in King by the end of the month!

I had read good things about the "Little Italy" place, as well as the Thai restaurant as well. We did eat at King Kitchen when we were there, and enjoyed it.

I am sure I will have plenty of questions in the next few months. Thank you again of the replies so far! So much to do in the next few weeks.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM

32 posts, read 52,629 times
Welcome to North Carolina (a little early)! I hope you have a smooth transition. I lived in Tobaccoville for several years and spent a fair amount of time in King. This was back in the late 80's however and there has been some growth in the area since then.

I think King is still a bedroom community of Winston-Salem, but as another poster mentioned commuting to Mt. Airy from King is pretty simple too. King is still a small town and if you spent time on the "main drag" you have seen pretty much all the retail/services/restaurants in town. There are of course some great businesses scattered around. Dairy-O is a must eat place! I also offer my highest recommendation of Thai Café. I try to eat there at least once a month.

As you have already figured out getting to Winston-Salem is a simple matter of 15 or 20 minutes. You can get all the "big box" shopping you desire as well as many more restaurant options. There is of course Hanes Mall and the whole HanesMallBlvd experience. Just don't get in a hurry and you will find most any retail needs met.

I am not sure where you are relocating from so I don't know how familiar you might be with North Carolina. Living in King you will find it easy to get to the beaches or the mountains. The list of "must see" locations is vast and depending on your likes/dislikes I am sure you will find folks here more than happy to steer you in certain directions.

Good luck with your move and congratulations on your new home!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM

35 posts, read 39,947 times
Congratulations on the move! I've lived in King for nearly 17 years, and have little to no negative feedback! To break it down a bit..

Food: As previously stated, Thai Cafe' and Little Italy are great. Town & Country Grill across from Little Italy was recently renovated and fully restored due to a past building fire, and seems to boom business as well. Fancy feeling restaurant for a not-so-fancy price. King Kitchen is a town staple as well! Mi Pueblo is a personal favorite of mine for Mexican! Once you venture out of town towards Winston, be sure to check out the Muddy Creek Cafe in Bethania. This is right outside of King, and offers constant live music and great food. Head out to Downtown Winston for a gathering of awesome pubs and more great food. Foothills Brewery, Krankies Coffee, and Mellow Mushroom are all must-tries in Downtown.

Recreation: Central Park on Kirby Road has a large ampitheather, pond with fishing deck, large nature-oriented walking track, large field, historic cabins, playgrounds for children, and a large, goreous memorial fountain dedicated to veterans. All of this is open to the public at no charge. Across town you have King Recreation Acres which offers the community Football, Baseball, and Soccer fields. There is also a small childrens playground, a skate park, and covered picnic area on this premisis. This location is also free to the public.

Must-See: Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock are both a short drive away, and both more than worth it. Both parks are free to the public, and have large picnic areas and great views. Pilot Mountain, IMO, is the better bet for someone not looking to go on a stenuous hike to see the views. Hanging Rock would be your choice if you're willing to work for a view! Hanging Rock also provides a decent sized lake and gorgeous waterfalls with only a small hike to reach.

Activities: Pilot Mountain hosts cruise-ins during the Summer that attract hundreds upon hundreds of people. They occur the FIRST Saturday of each month from, someone correct me if i'm wrong, May through October. Unfortunately the last one of the year was this past weekend. There is no charge or reservation, and they are held right on Main Street. King hosts a festival once a year called the Kingfest (unfortunately it was this past weekend) at Central Park. Its a gathering of music, vendors, crafters, and things of that nature. Close by in Mt Airy you'll find the Autumn Leaves Festival which is essentially the same, just on a larger scale. Its coming up soon!

Shopping: I just head to Winston personally. Grocery wise, King offers you two Food Lions, and a newly renovated Lowes Foods. If you're a person who enjoys organic and fresh foods, travel to Winston where you'll find a Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and multiple Harris Teeters. Publix is also set for landing in 2015(?) I believe. A 20 minute drive and you're in the heart of Winston with a large mall, numerous shops, and all of your major outlet stores. Hanes Mall, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes Hardware, Gander Mountain, Staples, Petsmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, and a variety of restaurants can all be found along a 1-2 mile stretch of Stratford Rd and Hanes Mall Boulevard. Stanleyville will also offer numerous things such as Walmart & Target and mid-scale, everyday dining at only a short 10 minute drive south of King if you're not looking to commute to Winston itself that day!

Hope I was of some help! Good luck on everything, and be sure to pick up a Stokes News newspaper, and a Foothills Times magazine (commonly found free inside business doors) along your travels. Both are King-based, and provide tons of info!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,102,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicalbright View Post
A 20 minute drive and you're in the heart of Winston with a large mall, numerous shops, and all of your major outlet stores. Hanes Mall, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes Hardware, Gander Mountain, Staples, Petsmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, and a variety of restaurants can all be found along a 1-2 mile stretch of Stratford Rd and Hanes Mall Boulevard.
Great...just what the area needs - even more traffic.

Just teasing.
OP, welcome to the area! We moved to the area in mid-2011 and enjoy it (live near Wallburg, work in W-S, a couple miles south of the Hanes Mall Blvd/Stratford Rd intersection).

Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicalbright View Post
Congratulations on the move! I've lived in King for nearly 17 years, and have little to no negative feedback! To break it down a bit..

[snip]

Hope I was of some help! Good luck on everything, and be sure to pick up a Stokes News newspaper, and a Foothills Times magazine (commonly found free inside business doors) along your travels. Both are King-based, and provide tons of info!
Super post! Welcome to C-D!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point