U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,173,370 times

Advertisements

I have a chance to buy the home my Grandfather built in Eden-it went up on the market 8 days ago. So tell me more about Eden. If it's in the cards, we may buy it as it would be a wonderful legacy to leave our children. Before we come down to look it over and decide what to do-I need some information about jobs in the area. How high are the electric/gas rates, I know the taxes on the home. How about homeowners insurance rates in the area? Guesstimate on car insurance. IS there a lot of crime in Eden now? It's on a main roadway-not that there is traffic like here in upstate NY but how heavily traveled are the main roads there? I am excited I may get to live in my family home-my Mom never wanted to sell it, but she couldn't keep it and live in NYS back in the 60's when they sold it. Also-if we buy it, we will rent it out for about 2 years until our youngest graduates high school. She's being looked at by colleges in NC, so this would be a good fit for all of us!

Thanks for any and all information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
I recommend you visit Eden before you get nostalgic as life there might be a bit of a jolt for you and the family.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 AM

What do you mean by jolt? Small town life? That's fine with both of us. Everytime I mention NY-everyone thinks city. I grew up in a small village(well used to be until downstaters moved up here in the 90's-2000's). Hubby grew up where cows got lose and walked through the fresh concrete on their sidewalk. Give me some real insight into the area these days. I know I drove through two summers ago. My late Father grew up in Danville and we have lots of family all around the area-my parents came north to work for Texaco in their heyday.

I am a school bus dispatcher-so I can either drive down there or go into dispatching there. My degree is in hospitality and tourism. Hubby works now for a durable medical good company as a transfill tech and delivers oxygen. He was a ready mix concrete dispatcher up here for 21 years. We both have skills that will transfer over into other jobs. So that's something we have to consider as we aren't quite yet at retirement age.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,657,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
What do you mean by jolt?
Not meaning to be negative - just a dose of reality.... Eden is a town that has seen better days. There's not a lot of opportunity there except maybe for someone with deep pockets.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by jolt? Small town life? That's fine with both of us. Everytime I mention NY-everyone thinks city. I grew up in a small village(well used to be until downstaters moved up here in the 90's-2000's). Hubby grew up where cows got lose and walked through the fresh concrete on their sidewalk. Give me some real insight into the area these days. I know I drove through two summers ago. My late Father grew up in Danville and we have lots of family all around the area-my parents came north to work for Texaco in their heyday.

I am a school bus dispatcher-so I can either drive down there or go into dispatching there. My degree is in hospitality and tourism. Hubby works now for a durable medical good company as a transfill tech and delivers oxygen. He was a ready mix concrete dispatcher up here for 21 years. We both have skills that will transfer over into other jobs. So that's something we have to consider as we aren't quite yet at retirement age.
Your OP was vague so I had to go on the assumption you are accustomed to certain amenities. Even small town life can vary greatly from state to state. Another example being you ask of the traffic because the house is on a thoroughfare. What thoroughfare? Van Buren? Kings Highway? Highway 87, 770, or 135?

Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM

No-don't need amenities in the area. We like simple. Don't need big box stores-can't stand them. As long as there is a gas station or grocery store within 15 miles-works for me. The home is on Washington Ave. I only ask because where we are now-it went from 4,000 cars per day-to over 60K in 10 years. It's a nightmare. I know the house is also in a commercial zone-but it's also a part of Eden's history. My late Grandfather was a well known architect there and my Great-Grandfather was a contractor that built a lot of the homes for the workers in the mill. But our pockets don't run deep that's for sure. We need to find jobs in the area. It's a lot of what if's right now. I'd really love to get the house back into the family, but a lot of things have to fall into place to do it. We are a camping/hunting family. I'd be happier sitting around a fire pit than having a night life.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
No-don't need amenities in the area. We like simple. Don't need big box stores-can't stand them. As long as there is a gas station or grocery store within 15 miles-works for me. The home is on Washington Ave. I only ask because where we are now-it went from 4,000 cars per day-to over 60K in 10 years. It's a nightmare. I know the house is also in a commercial zone-but it's also a part of Eden's history. My late Grandfather was a well known architect there and my Great-Grandfather was a contractor that built a lot of the homes for the workers in the mill. But our pockets don't run deep that's for sure. We need to find jobs in the area. It's a lot of what if's right now. I'd really love to get the house back into the family, but a lot of things have to fall into place to do it. We are a camping/hunting family. I'd be happier sitting around a fire pit than having a night life.
Washington St gets traffic from Hwy 770 & 135. However, it is not than busy by comparison say to Van Buren (Hwy 14) which leads into Va. Most of the commercial along that street that I'm aware of is retail. Unfortunately, Eden, like many small towns that have taken an economic beating the big box stores are taking the place of the vanished textile industry. There has been retail growth but it appears all concentrated along Van Buren/Hwy 14. Small business seems to do alright there, but the city has a "poor" vibe to it IMO; actually I feel that way about the entire county of Rockingham.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM

Sounds like where we are-Walmart and Home Depot hurt our small town businesses. Plus Texaco left the area and IBM laid off 11,000 people here in 91. We never have recovered our jobs-but with the NYC-LI influx, we are a bedroom community of the commuters. We just don't fit here anymore-we are the outsiders now. I have no family left now that my parents are gone-all my family is in NC/VA. We love my Mom's house there, but we also have to realistic since we are both under 50 and need to work. I can't think with just my heart and jump, I need to have facts. If that doesn't work out-I have family in both Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Boone or Smithfield. We'll have to see.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
The best legacy you can leave your children is teaching them how to be decent humans and be responsible.

Having seen Eden 1st hand I can tell you flat out it is a racist town . You can only be a few things: white, Republican, and Baptist. And there is only one way to do anything- the Eden way You will meet the most hypocritical, narrow minded people that will not hesitate to make fun of the local Hispanics, Latinos or Chinese even while using their services at farms, factories or restaurants. And they will end every racist or nasty remark with "I'm a good Christian."

As I lived in Rochester, NY I can tell you this is a huge shock. The local economy is bad with lot of unemployment.The local hospital sucks.The water is poisonous to health from all the tobacco grown there with pesticides contaminating the ground water. Down town is a handful of depressing antique stores with an additional 2 stores that are somewhat cheery. Eat in the local restaurants and you will look like the average Eden resident in no time: rotund.Seriously. The middle school sucks. Check the NC report cards if you don't believe me. The high school has mixed groups and some kids actually manage to do well. There are 2 classes of people clearly and the haves think they are God's gift to humanity with their blue blood and red necks.

Having said that, Winston Salem and Greensboro which are both about 45-60 min away are decent places that are larger (300k population).

Save your money, tell your kids a good sorry about their family and live where your kids will have the best role models and public schooling.

Need I say I am trying to relocate?

Old 12-24-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTransplant2013 View Post
The best legacy you can leave your children is teaching them how to be decent humans and be responsible.

Having seen Eden 1st hand I can tell you flat out it is a racist town . You can only be a few things: white, Republican, and Baptist. And there is only one way to do anything- the Eden way You will meet the most hypocritical, narrow minded people that will not hesitate to make fun of the local Hispanics, Latinos or Chinese even while using their services at farms, factories or restaurants. And they will end every racist or nasty remark with "I'm a good Christian."

As I lived in Rochester, NY I can tell you this is a huge shock. The local economy is bad with lot of unemployment.The local hospital sucks.The water is poisonous to health from all the tobacco grown there with pesticides contaminating the ground water. Down town is a handful of depressing antique stores with an additional 2 stores that are somewhat cheery. Eat in the local restaurants and you will look like the average Eden resident in no time: rotund.Seriously. The middle school sucks. Check the NC report cards if you don't believe me. The high school has mixed groups and some kids actually manage to do well. There are 2 classes of people clearly and the haves think they are God's gift to humanity with their blue blood and red necks.

Having said that, Winston Salem and Greensboro which are both about 45-60 min away are decent places that are larger (300k population).

Save your money, tell your kids a good sorry about their family and live where your kids will have the best role models and public schooling.

Need I say I am trying to relocate?
Somebody that dislikes Eden more than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point