Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 30,614 times

Advertisements

We're going to be in the area next week on a house hunting trip. It's a corporate relocation, and my husband isn't necessarily tied to an office, so we have some flexibility as to where we can live. We have 2 kids - a rising 2nd grader and a 2 yr old, so schools are important. Most of all, we're looking for a place with a couple of acres, and have been focused on western Winston/Clemmons/Lewisville/Pfafftown areas. I expanded our search to Advance after not finding a whole lot of inventory for sale that peaked our interest. There is a house just south of Bermuda Run that we like on paper (haven't seen in person). But can anyone tell me a little about Advance? It looks as if Shady Grove Elem & Ellis Middle are good schools. I know there is an overcrowding issue at Davie HS, and discussions to build a new one. That's the one issue that's probably giving me pause. Although, we're a good ways off from that, and when we reach that point, I won't rule out a private school option. We had to switch realtors, but our last one mentioned that this area of Advance was the nicest area in Davie County and worth considering.

Again, we're looking for a couple of acres, a place to garden/keep chickens & possible horse(s) one day, good place for kids, I'd like the conveniences of a nice grocery store/shopping and being able to get to Winston in 30 mins or less. Husband will be traveling the state, so easy access to interstate is a plus.

Opinions?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
It's a nice area, and very much a bedroom community for Winston-Salem. Not much there other than houses and neighborhoods--very suburban/rural area. You do have the advantage of slightly lower property taxes since it's in Davie County. There are a few things up the road at the NC 801 and US 158 intersection--fast food, a few sit down restaurants, drugstores, grocery stores, etc. The people I know who live there like it. I think the schools are good, but at the high school level Forsyth County offers a lot more in terms of magnet schools and AP/honors courses if that's important to you.

By the way, it's pronounced AD-vance, with emphasis on the first syllable (don't ask me why...)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
It's a nice area, and very much a bedroom community for Winston-Salem. Not much there other than houses and neighborhoods--very suburban/rural area. You do have the advantage of slightly lower property taxes since it's in Davie County. There are a few things up the road at the NC 801 and US 158 intersection--fast food, a few sit down restaurants, drugstores, grocery stores, etc. The people I know who live there like it. I think the schools are good, but at the high school level Forsyth County offers a lot more in terms of magnet schools and AP/honors courses if that's important to you.

By the way, it's pronounced AD-vance, with emphasis on the first syllable (don't ask me why...)

Thanks! That's really what I about figured, and you hit the nail on the head about my concerns with the schools. I'm moving from AL, so Davie Cty schools are probably still better than what we're leaving here!

Thanks for the tip on the pronunciation. At least it's far easier to figure out how to pronounce than Pfafftown! Not sure I want to live there just because I'd always have to explain how to say it/spell it!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
The Advance area -- if you want flexibility in what you can do with your property, make sure you advise your realtor to put some distance between any available listings and Bermuda Run - just up the road from Advance. Nothing malicious, but Bermuda Run does retain the right to set out restrictions both in its incorporated area and "extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction."

http://www.daviefoundation.org/towno...03_10_2009.pdf

Last I heard, the extra territory extended a mile outside the corporate limits.

Advance itself doesn't exist as a "town," it's more like an area. The only really official buildings are the post office and fire station. Kind of a Hooterville (said with affection. we've lived in the area since 1997 and love it ).

In looking for houses, I'd stay north of highway 64 unless you are amenable to dealing with septic tanks and well water. Davie County is slowly extending civilized services (I have nothing against wells and septic tanks, being on septic right now and having moved in the last few years from a place that had both) across the county, but coverage is spotty, south of highway 64. If/when you tour the area, you'll notice crews burying telecommunication lines. It appears we're getting an upgrade.

If you want to check out more details about Davie County property, a good GIS exists Davie County, NC - GoMaps
Takes some fiddling around if you've never used a system like that, but you can find property dimensions, tax value, how large a spread surrounds you ...

I hope the Davie high school issue is resolved in the next decade. Jeeze, the squabbling that has been going on Everyone wants it done their way and no one is willing to compromise. It doesn't affect me, not having kids, but we residents wish someone would poot or get off the pot ('scuse the vulgarity ). The situation is just ridiculous.

Be sure to check out Tanglewood (just across the Yadkin into Forsyth). Pretty spiffy park with good walking/jogging/biking trails, a new dog park, golf course and swimming pool. They put on a good light show at Christmas.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
The Advance area -- if you want flexibility in what you can do with your property, make sure you advise your realtor to put some distance between any available listings and Bermuda Run - just up the road from Advance. Nothing malicious, but Bermuda Run does retain the right to set out restrictions both in its incorporated area and "extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction."

http://www.daviefoundation.org/towno...03_10_2009.pdf

Last I heard, the extra territory extended a mile outside the corporate limits.

Advance itself doesn't exist as a "town," it's more like an area. The only really official buildings are the post office and fire station. Kind of a Hooterville (said with affection. we've lived in the area since 1997 and love it ).

In looking for houses, I'd stay north of highway 64 unless you are amenable to dealing with septic tanks and well water. Davie County is slowly extending civilized services (I have nothing against wells and septic tanks, being on septic right now and having moved in the last few years from a place that had both) across the county, but coverage is spotty, south of highway 64. If/when you tour the area, you'll notice crews burying telecommunication lines. It appears we're getting an upgrade.

If you want to check out more details about Davie County property, a good GIS exists Davie County, NC - GoMaps
Takes some fiddling around if you've never used a system like that, but you can find property dimensions, tax value, how large a spread surrounds you ...

I hope the Davie high school issue is resolved in the next decade. Jeeze, the squabbling that has been going on Everyone wants it done their way and no one is willing to compromise. It doesn't affect me, not having kids, but we residents wish someone would poot or get off the pot ('scuse the vulgarity ). The situation is just ridiculous.

Be sure to check out Tanglewood (just across the Yadkin into Forsyth). Pretty spiffy park with good walking/jogging/biking trails, a new dog park, golf course and swimming pool. They put on a good light show at Christmas.

Thanks! Lots of great information! I'll check out the links tomorrow. Thanks again!!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 16,114 times
Default lived in Advance for 6 years, Love It

I really love Shady Grove Elementary, and Ellis Middle School. Although the principal for Ellis Middle just left last year so I am not sure how that will change things there. We lived in Covington Creek Neighborhood and really enjoyed the neighborhood and not being in as snooty a place as Bermuda Run or Oak Valley. But there is a bit of a drive to the nearest grocery store but it worked out and we got used to it. Covington Creek has larger lots and still has that neighborhood feel, so that is why so many there love it. You get much more land than in any of the Clemmons neighborhoods and you get sidewalks and great people.

Actually our home there is for sale if you want to check it out. I don't know if you found something or not. you can go to learnmorenow.com and enter GJJBCMBBBC. Or 117 Cumberland Ct, Advance, NC 27006 is For Sale - Zillow

But I would be happy to share any more about doctors, etc in Advance area. I don't want this just to be a sales pitch. I really was there and do have a lot of experience in the area. And since we just moved to a new area that I know nothing about I know how valuable it can be to find a local resident willing to share.

Good Luck in your search.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:14 PM

97 posts, read 227,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommac61g5b View Post
I really love Shady Grove Elementary, and Ellis Middle School. Although the principal for Ellis Middle just left last year so I am not sure how that will change things there. We lived in Covington Creek Neighborhood and really enjoyed the neighborhood and not being in as snooty a place as Bermuda Run or Oak Valley. But there is a bit of a drive to the nearest grocery store but it worked out and we got used to it. Covington Creek has larger lots and still has that neighborhood feel, so that is why so many there love it. You get much more land than in any of the Clemmons neighborhoods and you get sidewalks and great people.

Actually our home there is for sale if you want to check it out. I don't know if you found something or not. you can go to learnmorenow.com and enter GJJBCMBBBC. Or 117 Cumberland Ct, Advance, NC 27006 is For Sale - Zillow

But I would be happy to share any more about doctors, etc in Advance area. I don't want this just to be a sales pitch. I really was there and do have a lot of experience in the area. And since we just moved to a new area that I know nothing about I know how valuable it can be to find a local resident willing to share.

Good Luck in your search.
People in Bermuda Run & Oak Valley are not snooty...some of the nicest people I have ever me...just saying. Not a very nice thing to say.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM

97 posts, read 227,556 times
Have lived in Davie County for 2 years next week (from Charlotte). Everyone is different...but I personally would not live anywhere in Davie County except The town of Bermuda Run...which includes Bermuda Run, Bermuda Run West, Kinderton...and soon Oak Valley will be annexed.

Keep in mind that kids in Bermuda Run & Oak Valley have nothing in common with the rural country farm kids. Bermuda Run kids are not better than them...just 1000% different.

Shady Grove Elementary & Ellis Middle are GREAT schools...but that is where it ends. Most kids in Bermuda Run go to West Forsyth (Clemmons...rated VERY high in Forsyth County)...and under 10 min...where Davie High is about 25 min away.

GOOD luck!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post

Keep in mind that kids in Bermuda Run & Oak Valley have nothing in common with the rural country farm kids. Bermuda Run kids are not better than them...just 1000% different.
And that's the kind of attitude that has kept the high school issue so contentious.

I'm a transplant myself, though we've been here 23 years, 16 of them in Davie County.

We've always lived in the rural, western section, preferring the freedom and down-to-earth attitude over the more controlled eastern side. The lady who has done my hair for the last 10 years is a multi-generation west side Davie native as well as the vet who has taken care of our animals for the last 15 years.

When we moved here, the fence around Bermuda Run was topped with strands of barbed wire. That area has changed in the last 8-9 years, trying to play down the controlling attitude and encouraging economic development, but there are still memories to live down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point