U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Building owners don't condemn buildings; that's what the city does for buildings that aren't up to code. Apparently things were so bad that the city took this type of action, but it seems that this could have been avoided if the building was properly inspected prior to occupancy.

At any rate, the city (and county) can do several things to help fill vacant storefronts like establishing a business improvement district (which may hire a director of downtown retail recruitment), undertaking streetscaping projects, establishing facade improvement grant programs, offering tax credits for building rehabilitation, etc. These are things that Columbia, SC has done in its downtown, particularly on Main Street, and the results have been tremendous. Here's an article on how the county offering tax credits for restoration of historic buildings has been particularly effective: Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Only if not conceived/designed properly, and it's not like one entire street will be completely full of them. No one can deny that sidewalk cafes play a very important role in increasing the vibrancy of downtown areas and are fixtures in all such downtowns.

Sidewalk Cafes Enliven Downtown Streets | DowntownDC

Nothing's wrong with the "cliche" things--like ballparks, an urban park, and performing arts centers, all of which Greensboro has or is getting--if they work.
Thanks Captain Obvious, I'm aware of who conducts building inspections hence, why I didn't elaborate about the business I mentioned. I can't speculate why some of these buildings stand vacant for years, but I hope the recent investment of the Southeastern building will spur investors to look as these empty spaces.
I'm not against them and I agree they add vitality, but downtown sidewalks really aren't wide enough. Opa!, Thai Pan, and Brooklyn(?) have diners right on the sidewalk and it can be a bit of a chore navigating around during busy times. However, establishments like Natty's, Fincastles, Churchill's, Snack Bar, the former Zen location offer al fresca without obstructing the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
I think Greensboro's downtown is doing just fine. It has come a long way and still has a ways ago. The biggest transformation will happen after the development of the downtown university district which is a unique concept that you dont see in many cities. Thats when we'll see the biggest downtown investment and what it will attract downtown. You think ballparks and performing arts centers are great, you aint seen nothing yet. The university district will help attract companies and more high density residential to the central business district. All of Greensboro's colleges (UNCG, A&T State Univ, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Elon Univ Law, GTCC, Guilford College) along with Cone Health will collaborate at facilities in the district. The campus will include classrooms, research laboratories, medical simulators and more. There has even been some talk of including a joint school of architecture at some point.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-28-2013 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 11:37 AM

29,939 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Wait a second, I just read the article and couldn't believe this part. I understand being a booster for downtown and all, but is this guy smoking something?

Quote:
In five years, downtown will be “the premier center city in the southeast United States,” according to Walker Sanders, president of The Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro, which is spearheading the performing arts center project.

Sanders wouldn’t back down from the boast, even in the face of comparisons to Charleston and Greenville, S.C., both of which Greensboro leaders have studied with envy.
I'm rooting for Greensboro for sure, but cities like Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans have downtowns that have been centuries in the making and Greensboro will never be able to match that. And it also has some ground to make up with regard to downtowns that have been models for revitalization like Greenville and Chattanooga, which aren't exactly standing still--not to mention other downtowns in NC. Let's keep it all in perspective, Mr. Sanders.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:16 PM

302 posts, read 537,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think Greensboro's downtown is doing just fine. It has come a long way and still has a ways ago. The biggest transformation will happen after the development of the downtown university district which is a unique concept that you dont see in many cities. Thats when we'll see the biggest downtown investment and what it will attract downtown. You think ballparks and performing arts centers are great, you aint seen nothing yet. The university district will help attract companies and more high density residential to the central business district. All of Greensboro's colleges (UNCG, A&T State Univ, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Elon Univ Law, GTCC, Guilford College) along with Cone Health will collaborate at facilities in the district. The campus will include classrooms, research laboratories, medical simulators and more. There has even been some talk of including a joint school of architecture at some point.

The above is already happening over in Winston-Salem. Over $300 million has been invested to date not to mention the newly opened first leg of the Research Parkway last week.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
One thing to note about Roy Carroll's 8-story hotel project to be built across from NewBridge Bank Ballpark.............Roy Carroll said the project "may grow in size". We could see something a little taller than 8-stories if that's the case. Roy Carroll was the developer who converted the 16-story old Wachovia building into Center Pointe luxury condos.

Here is a list of current downtown projects.

1) Senior Resources of Guilford with an indoor carousel
2) 3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts (Broadway shows, comedy shows, major concerts with touring music artists, symphony ect)
3) 10-story Wyndham Luxury Hotel and Conference Center (Triad's first upscale chain hotel)
4) Roy Carroll hotel project (8-stories or more)
5) Greenway at Stadium Park apartments
6) expansion of CityView at Southside apartments
7) Southeastern Building renovation (apartments/offices)
8) Lebauer City Park (across from the future performing arts center)
9) completion of downtown greenway loop
10) downtown university campus/district (UNCG, NC A&T, Guilford College, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Elon, GTCC, Cone Health, (office/residential/classrooms/research labs/medical simulators/small hotel)

There are also projects in the works that haven't been publicly announced.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-02-2013 at 09:02 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wait a second, I just read the article and couldn't believe this part. I understand being a booster for downtown and all, but is this guy smoking something?

I'm rooting for Greensboro for sure, but cities like Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans have downtowns that have been centuries in the making and Greensboro will never be able to match that. And it also has some ground to make up with regard to downtowns that have been models for revitalization like Greenville and Chattanooga, which aren't exactly standing still--not to mention other downtowns in NC. Let's keep it all in perspective, Mr. Sanders.
You have to admire the enthusiasm, but I'm in agreement with keeping perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point