U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2013, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times
Reputation: 1501

Advertisements

hundreds of millions of dollars to transform downtown Greensboro.

There are a number of high profile projects in the works and according to former city manager Ed Kitchen, there are a number of private downtown deals which haven't been made public yet!

Money to transform downtown Greensboro - News-Record.com: Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Reputation: 8896
Regarding Roy Caroll's postiion: I hope these projects strike a balance with the demographic as a whole. If I want to live where the streets are rolled up after the early bird special crowd goes home I can move to downtown High Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Regarding Roy Caroll's postiion: I hope these projects strike a balance with the demographic as a whole. If I want to live where the streets are rolled up after the early bird special crowd goes home I can move to downtown High Point.
I agree. People forget that the noisy young people that come downtown are the reason downtown is not dead after 6 pm. Right now there is not enough of the "upscale" crowd to sustain the downtown nightlife so its not a good idea to chase the 21 to 30 crowd away. (notice that Roy Carroll is buying downtown land far away from the noisy bars and clubs on South Elm St) There does have to be a balance so all are welcomed downtown.

I do applaud everything Roy Carroll is trying to do downtown but I don't like how city leaders enacted ordinances that affects a group of people just to benefit one developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Bermuda Run, NC
97 posts, read 191,592 times
Reputation: 38
I think downtown Greensboro has a long way to go...but I hope it only gets better. Winston=Salem might be smaller...but Greensboro should take notes...almost every storefront in downtown W-S is filled and there are many outdoor cafes for a smaller city

Greensboro seems to have a lot of plans that fall thru...probably a lot is political...lol

We considered moving to Greensboro when we moved here...but W-S won out due to their downtown, arts & medical facilities...all GREAT for a city of this size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
I think downtown Greensboro has a long way to go...but I hope it only gets better. Winston=Salem might be smaller...but Greensboro should take notes...almost every storefront in downtown W-S is filled and there are many outdoor cafes for a smaller city

Greensboro seems to have a lot of plans that fall thru...probably a lot is political...lol

We considered moving to Greensboro when we moved here...but W-S won out due to their downtown, arts & medical facilities...all GREAT for a city of this size.
I'll disagree with that point in the sense I don't want Greensboro to become downtown W-S 2.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,227 times
Reputation: 10
Do u think W-S is better than Greensboro ??..I'm looking to relocate from Pa to Greensboro & don't anything about either city nor do I know anyone so any suggestions would be a great help ))..thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'll disagree with that point in the sense I don't want Greensboro to become downtown W-S 2.0
I agree. Greensboro needs to be Greensboro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'll disagree with that point in the sense I don't want Greensboro to become downtown W-S 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree. Greensboro needs to be Greensboro
Greensboro can take notes from a city doing better in certain areas without becoming a clone of that city. When it comes to filling up more storefronts with active uses and having more sidewalk cafes, I can't see why any city wouldn't want to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greensboro can take notes from a city doing better in certain areas without becoming a clone of that city. When it comes to filling up more storefronts with active uses and having more sidewalk cafes, I can't see why any city wouldn't want to do that.
The city can't fill the store fronts, that's up to the building owners. Example: Recently a starving artist consignment shop opened only for the building to be condemned and close the business. Nothing has happend in the space since.
I find sidewalk cafes a bit cliche and as far as the sidewalks go it can be cumbersome walking around the sidewalk diners when the area is particularly busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 AM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The city can't fill the store fronts, that's up to the building owners. Example: Recently a starving artist consignment shop opened only for the building to be condemned and close the business. Nothing has happend in the space since.
Building owners don't condemn buildings; that's what the city does for buildings that aren't up to code. Apparently things were so bad that the city took this type of action, but it seems that this could have been avoided if the building was properly inspected prior to occupancy.

At any rate, the city (and county) can do several things to help fill vacant storefronts like establishing a business improvement district (which may hire a director of downtown retail recruitment), undertaking streetscaping projects, establishing facade improvement grant programs, offering tax credits for building rehabilitation, etc. These are things that Columbia, SC has done in its downtown, particularly on Main Street, and the results have been tremendous. Here's an article on how the county offering tax credits for restoration of historic buildings has been particularly effective: Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Quote:
I find sidewalk cafes a bit cliche and as far as the sidewalks go it can be cumbersome walking around the sidewalk diners when the area is particularly busy.
Only if not conceived/designed properly, and it's not like one entire street will be completely full of them. No one can deny that sidewalk cafes play a very important role in increasing the vibrancy of downtown areas and are fixtures in all such downtowns.

Sidewalk Cafes Enliven Downtown Streets | DowntownDC

Nothing's wrong with the "cliche" things--like ballparks, an urban park, and performing arts centers, all of which Greensboro has or is getting--if they work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top