U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM

97 posts, read 191,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
If you look at the stats Greensboro & Winston's crime rates are about equal. However, the media tends to blow happenings in Greensboro out of proportion.
I am sure! Greensboro gets a bad rap about a lot of things...just speaking as an outsider that has only lived here for 2 years. I wish for very positive things for Greensboro & Winston-Salem.

fyi...the Greensboro people I have encountered (mostly downtown area) think that Gboro is so superior to Winston-Salem...I don't see it. You basically can't do anything in GSO that you can not do in W-S.....and Gboro is NO Charlotte. smile

I LOVE the whole Triad area personally...we could have lived anywhere in the Triad (we both work from home)...but for us Winston-Salem won out due to arts, medical & their charming clean downtown area...once again it is NO Charlotte...at our age (50) we wanted to move somewhere smaller and have not regretted it 1 bit plus we are only 72 miles from Uptown Charlotte now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
I am sure! Greensboro gets a bad rap about a lot of things...just speaking as an outsider that has only lived here for 2 years. I wish for very positive things for Greensboro & Winston-Salem.

fyi...the Greensboro people I have encountered (mostly downtown area) think that Gboro is so superior to Winston-Salem...I don't see it. You basically can't do anything in GSO that you can not do in W-S.....and Gboro is NO Charlotte. smile

I LOVE the whole Triad area personally...we could have lived anywhere in the Triad (we both work from home)...but for us Winston-Salem won out due to arts, medical & their charming clean downtown area...once again it is NO Charlotte...at our age (50) we wanted to move somewhere smaller and have not regretted it 1 bit plus we are only 72 miles from Uptown Charlotte now.
There are WS folk who engage in similar snobbery however, the sensible folks know the two cities are fairly similar with each having their own strengths & weaknesses.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM

29 posts, read 48,506 times
since I have not yet visited the triad region , the only thing I can go by is Internet based research. The nearest comparable city to where I live now, would be Yonkers,NY. With a population just under 200,000, the City-data.com 2011 "crime index" number was 236. for the same year, WS and greensboro numbers came in at 502 and 444 respectively. As a comparison, Raleigh ( another area in NC I have been researching) came in at 291. Even considering misreporting by the police dept, as has been suggested, this is still a sizable difference. I will continue my research, and as the time for my retirement draws nearer, I will likely pay a visit to the area to see for myself. Thank you all for your helpful posts.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 PM

2,650 posts, read 6,089,977 times
jmeenan, you need to be careful in relying on just one set of numbers. I think one factor at play is that you're looking at city-to-city comparisons, and it may not give you the most accurate picture. Some cities have relatively small city limit areas, with lots of neighboring boroughs that aren't included in the numbers. Others may have large areas that include lots of less densely populated areas that would skew the rates. Just for fun I looked up the county statistics for Forsyth (Winston-Salem), Guilford (Greensboro), and Wake (Raleigh). The 2012 offense totals are:

Forsyth-- 19,392
Guilford-- 20,782
Wake-- 25,825

So while Raleigh looks comparatively good using your numbers, by the above numbers it looks like a much more dangerous place.

Bottom line is that all three of these cities are generally very safe unless you happen to live in the seedier parts of town. As I said earlier, I don't think you need to worry about crime rates in making your relocation decision, as the likelihood of you being a victim is low.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM

676 posts, read 2,803,336 times
Bottom line, the online crime stats are bad in Winston-Salem (I have heard it's like this for much of the south) and it can be shocking for transplants doing internet research back home where the numbers just don't add up to similarly sized cities from your home state. I know, it happened to me back when I was doing the research. I would plug in a city that I would never want to live in that I knew well from my home area and than compare the statistics with Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem always came up with crime numbers almost double what I use to and it concerned me. I definitely know countless people who have had their cars broken into in urban neighborhoods around Winston-Salem and petty things stolen off their property like bikes or lawn mowers. I do not know of anyone first hand who has experienced violent crime. I know of a few home break-ins during the day. I am not comfortable with the crime in the way I keep everything locked 24/7. I never leave my storm door unlocked while home, I lock my car doors while driving and always park in the driveway. I would never sleep with a window open. I don't answer the door without my storm door locked. I always pay attention in a parking lot and I would never walk alone in the dark. But, I don't think it can hurt in any city or state to be cautious and not be nave to your surroundings. I was never this "hyper" cautious back home, but I have also never lived in an area with so much "petty crime" or poverty. There are have been reports in neighborhoods about people trying to sell bogus magazines, well I can't imagine ever giving a random door to door person any kind of money. You just have to be cautious and maybe step up your game a bit more than what you have had to do back home. I am not scared here during my day to day life, I just sometimes get slightly paranoid after reading the newspaper or hearing about a break-in from a neighbor....I want to add I never feel unsafe walking around the main downtown streets during dinner time or at any of the popular shopping centers. There are neighborhoods my husband has warned me to never drive through, but now that I am familiar with the layout of W-S, I can't imagine ever even accidentally stumbling into a bad part of town. It never happened even when I was new to the city! If you are really nervous, Clemmons or Lewisville are very safe. I personally prefer living in a more urban neighborhood, so I just make sure bikes aren't left out!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM

774 posts, read 1,615,605 times
Default It's weird ... but numbers may not tell the story

I just returned from an awesome weekend conference at the Omega Institute in the Catskills (NY).
The focus was on PTSD among combat veterans.

No one wanted to talk about Military Sexual Trauma and what drives it.
No one wanted to talk about all the belief systems we all share that lead abusive and traumatizing events in "normal" life. (Like what economic stress does to families.)

So we never get at the real problems... only the symptoms.
They say that all our social problems (substance addictions, violence, sexual assault, behavioral addictions like gambling...) all come out of our early childhood development during the first 2-3 years of our life ... including the nine months we were carried in the womb.

Looking for "safety"?
If a person grew up with an alcoholic father who molested the girls and beat the boys, then what will safety look like to him?

They say that's why our politics are so crazy.
People are really projecting their early childhood experiences out on the world.
I just saw the "Top 5" and "Top 10 Most Violent States in America" on Yahoo .
Blew me away.

For all the talk about "Family Values" ... the top 5 most violent states are now firmly Republican ... and out of the top 10, only 2 (tiny Delaware and Maryland) are Democratic states... and they sit in the shadow of our nation's capital.

In short, what is "violence" anymore?
Murder? The soul killing ways neighbors treat each other?
It's not even an issue of education and economics anymore. Read the list and some per capita income is all over the place. Violence against women seems to be more of a driver than what we usually think of as, "major crime" which makes me think that there's a lot of guys who just don't know how to create love in their lives anymore.

They have to "take it" or starve.
Bottom line, we as Americans should realize that the corporate media is giving us one myth now days. Even poor Horatio Alger is dead. That one myth is "war."
Everything on T.V. is about fear.
We love the special effects in movies.
Fear, hatred, and war.
(oh .. and ego.)

Small wonder people are running all over tying to figure out.... "Is is safe"?

Click here for the article --> Yahoo!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 AM

15 posts, read 36,789 times
The towns around Winston on the southern side are generally safe, check out Clemmons, Lewisville, etc.
Personally, I'd stay away some of the northern towns such as Rural Hall, Waughtown, etc, a lot of sketchy stuff out those directions.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM

693 posts, read 960,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeenan View Post
I will be retiring in 3 years,
I cant imagine why anyone would purposely retire to this area of NC. I can understand the mountains around asheville or the coastline. The best part about this area is if you do some research you can buy a very affordable home in a nice/safe family oriented neithborhood with good schools. For instance, buying a home in Clemmons and being part of the West High School area would be a smart family move. For a retiree, there just isnt anything there in my opinion.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I cant imagine why anyone would purposely retire to this area of NC. I can understand the mountains around asheville or the coastline. The best part about this area is if you do some research you can buy a very affordable home in a nice/safe family oriented neithborhood with good schools. For instance, buying a home in Clemmons and being part of the West High School area would be a smart family move. For a retiree, there just isnt anything there in my opinion.
There are actually quite a few retirees, especially in Winston. Relatively low cost of living, rolling hills, proximity to the mountains, plenty of arts programming, good restaurants, good hospitals, etc. I don't really know what else retirees would want.

Money Magazine has it in it's top places to retire pretty regularly. #6 in 2012. http://money.cnn.com/gallery/retirem...oneymag/6.html

Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM

28,502 posts, read 62,199,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Relatively low cost of living, rolling hills, proximity to the mountains, plenty of arts programming,
good restaurants, good hospitals, etc. I don't really know what else retirees would want.
This is it exactly. The practical reality vs the romanticism of living *in* the mountains.

Once you're on US 52 (and it's not hard to get there from anywhere in W-S) you can be at
the Fancy Gap entry to the BRP in about 40 minutes. It makes for a nice day trip.
Pack a bag... and you can go deeper for an overnight or weekend get away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point