Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 PM

29 posts, read 53,460 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring in 3 years, and my wife and I are researching a move to NC. We have been researching online looking at the triangle and triad areas. today I found this site - Winston Salem Crime - Crime reports for Winston-Salem, NC
for the period of sept. 19th to oct. 19, a total of 684 violent crimes were reported in Winston-Salem. This seems like an extraordinary number for a city this size. Any thoughts from residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeenan View Post
This seems like an extraordinary number for a city this size.
Correct. If accurate... it would be.
Quote:
Any thoughts from residents?
You are not accurate.

In a 10.0 mile radius from 'Winston-Salem, NC'
From: 10/19/13 To: 10/20/13 57 VIOLENT reports found (not 684)

There are more violent crimes than in the past but not that many more.

The rest is about bored over zealous cops who watch too many movies then up-charge
minor incidents like a neighborhood scuffle which will become charged as assault and later
pled out or dismissed. Including the 34 sexual incidents charged doesn't help either.

The list of "violent" charges:
http://www.winston-salem-crime.com/CrimeList.aspx

Last edited by MrRational; 10-21-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Check again, Mr. Rational. The OP said over the last month, and it looks like you were searching over a single day.

If you dig a little deeper, the vast majority (572 out of 699) are simple assault charges. Which still seems like an awful lot, but the numbers of the more serious crimes are much lower.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 AM

29 posts, read 53,460 times
Thanks for the reply.

The number of violent reports that I referenced ( 684) was for a one month span - ( Sept 19th to Oct 19th) When I checked again this morning using the criteria you mentioned, the results were as follows:

Violent Reports

In a 10.0 mile radius from 'Winston-Salem, NC'
178 reports found

If I understand you correctly, this number is indicative of misreporting on the part of the WSPD and not real "violent" crime in the area?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The OP said over the last month, and it looks like you were searching over a single day.
Yeah, that was an error on my part.
His link didn't lead to the monthly number and I didn't see the breakdown I quoted on the mothly number.

Quote:
If you dig a little deeper, the vast majority (572 out of 699) are simple assault charges.
In that one day I referenced 65% of "violent crimes" were sex charges of one sort or another.

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, this number is indicative of (several factors, including incident escalation and) misreporting on the part of the WSPD ... and not (anywhere near as much) real "violent" crime in
the area (as the statistics, taken at face, would) imply?
Yep.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
The numbers aren't good, but I can tell you that crime here is largely compartmentalized--that is, much of it is either domestic violence, drug-related, or otherwise limited to the "unsafe" areas which are generally out of the way of your normal routine (unfortunately every city has them). I feel completely safe when I'm out and about at restaurants, shopping, events, etc. I see no reason why the crime statistics should influence your decision to relocate here.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
I will be retiring in 3 years, and my wife and I are researching a move to NC. We have been researching online looking at the triangle and triad areas. today I found this site - Winston Salem Crime - Crime reports for Winston-Salem, NC
for the period of sept. 19th to oct. 19, a total of 684 violent crimes were reported in Winston-Salem. This seems like an extraordinary number for a city this size. Any thoughts from residents?
Greensboro gets a similar rap but when if you think about it that is probably about a months worth of bar fights.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Well, my daughter's car was broken in to during this time. Cost me about $500 for some jack ass to break in. Listen carefully, I would like to KILL that person.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM

97 posts, read 227,556 times
If you want to hear about crime...just listen for the word Greensboro. Not being mean...but since moving here from Charlotte...Greensboro is on the WRONG path...and such a shame. For a small city...Greensboro has a lot of crime. Hope that turns around...but has gotten worse over the 2 years I have been here.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
If you want to hear about crime...just listen for the word Greensboro. Not being mean...but since moving here from Charlotte...Greensboro is on the WRONG path...and such a shame. For a small city...Greensboro has a lot of crime. Hope that turns around...but has gotten worse over the 2 years I have been here.
If you look at the stats Greensboro & Winston's crime rates are about equal. However, the media tends to blow happenings in Greensboro out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point