U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 AM

35 posts, read 41,463 times

Advertisements

I've worked at the local Main Street Food Lion in King part-time for a few years now as a second job. Occasionallly within the last couple of years we've had the DOT guys come in due to the bridge rebuild that it occuring just off the exit. I distinctly remember one of the foreman for the current project telling a group of us about a large expansion that was set to occur in King within the next 5-6 years. He informed us that they had said "5yr blue prints" because they needed to know what was going where due to a possible "clover-leaf" intersection going into the center of town off of Highway 52. The following would be occuring to his knowledge..

-Branching Highway 52 directly to I40 to reduce travel time to Greensboro
-Reconstruction and location change of Mcdonalds (was actually occuring already)
-Opening of a Sheetz
-Opening of a Cookout
-Opening of a Lowes Hardware
-Opening of a Chik-Fil-A
-Opening of a Cracker Barrel

Now this was quite some time ago, probably 3 years or so(?) At the time I really didn't hold much water to it because frankly, it all sounded too good to be true. Now, here's the kicker.. In the few years since he relayed these "plans" to us..
  • Sheetz has opened
  • Mcdonalds was torn down and rebuilt elsewhere in town
  • The branch-off to I40 is commonly talked about by the community and is apparently set to begin any time.
  • The area that he informed us of Lowes Hardware supposedly landing has went from an unused plot of trees at the time of recieving the info, to a now large, cleared lot.
  • A close friend of mine whom is a 5-year encounting Cracker Barrel employee has said that recently there was rumor of a Cracker Barrel opening in our general area, but nothing set in stone.
I'm wondering if anyone else has heard any further information regarding any of the above? I havent seen the guy since, and i'm 90% sure that the clover-leaf idea has been squashed. Although that was a legitimate option at one point because it made the front page of the paper, the area where it was supposed be has had a large, four-lane overpass bridge put in instead. Its been a few years since this conversation, so alot may have changed. Personally I don't see Lowes happening due to the Mt Airy and Winston-Salem locations just minutes away. Cracker barrel would be nice on account of having to drive to Jonesville or Clemmons to eat at one, but this would put three Cracker Barrels within a 30-ish minute drive of eachother. Highly unlikely for that company based on how far apart you typically see them scattered IMO. I could be wrong however. Kind of difficult to confidently think "Oh, no that will never happen" because the last time that thought crossed my mind.. Well lets just say that I get my gas at Sheetz now LOL. The rest I feel aren't completely out of the question. King has reconstructed numerous things in the last few years, so nothing would 100% surprise me. Other locals may feel differently, but personally I can't say that i'd be doing much complaining if these business' came to town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM

304 posts, read 551,368 times
The only thing I could suggest is that US52 is the future corridor for I74 which will travel thru NC from Mt Airy, around the new eastern leg of the Winston-Salem beltway, along the current 311 to High Point and south along 220 to South Carolina.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:16 PM

35 posts, read 41,463 times
I created this thread nearly three years ago, and I stumbled upon it again and decided to weigh in with an update. I no longer live in town, but I do frequent it to visit family.

Since I created the thread...

-Walmart Supercenter has been built behind Lowes Foods and plans to open soon.

-Taco Bell is building a new, free-standing location behind KFC that looks to also open soon.

-The "Whistle Stop" restaurant across from Sheetz has had numerous titles/owners, but is now a decent Mexican restaurant.

-The age-old bar in the Mi Pueblo/Fitness 2000 plaza shut down and a new bar went in - Penny's Place

-A new deli called "Castle's Deli" also opened in the same plaza as above.

-Food Lion on S. Main received a face-lift and looks to be getting an interior remodel now.

-A new concept coffee shop called Espresso Mechanics recently opened behind Mickey & Co. in the old part of town with big expansion plans for the coming year including a 4000 sq ft outdoor area with roll-up garage doors and a large deck.

Haven't seen any highway construction or heard any news on that, but there are definitely a few changes sifting around business-wise. Nothing else to add, just figured i'd chime in while I was here.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:42 PM

3,895 posts, read 6,861,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicalbright View Post
I created this thread nearly three years ago, and I stumbled upon it again and decided to weigh in with an update. I no longer live in town, but I do frequent it to visit family.

Haven't seen any highway construction or heard any news on that, but there are definitely a few changes sifting around business-wise. Nothing else to add, just figured i'd chime in while I was here.
Right of way acquisition is underway for the Eastern Loop of the Northern Beltway. Here is the info on location, timeline etc: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/wsnb/

Based on the map, it will cross US 52 at the southern end of Rural Hall, several miles south of King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point