Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 19,898 times

Advertisements

I just posted this and it was deleted. If there is a better place for me to post this question, please let me know. I'm looking for information for Salisbury which is south of Winston-Salem.

My husband is graduating with his Master's degree and is now looking for employment. There is a job listing in Salisbury (with the city) that looks promising. (He has interviews in 4 different cities and I want to start my research on these cities--Salisbury, NC, Greenville, SC, Ashland VA and Manassas VA.

I would like to know what is it like living in Salisbury.

Would it be better to live in Salisbury or outside of it? Any areas that I should avoid?

I love the idea of moving to a smaller town. Before attending grad school we living in a small town here but I hated that I had to drive 20 minutes to go to the grocery store. Are there plenty of conveniences in town? How is the traffic?

What is the weather like?

Is Salisbury safe--low crime?

Cost of living? We're coming from an area with a high cost of living--rent here is between 1200 to 1500 for a small apartment in a good area. We will be renting for a few years before we purchase a house.

Is it a good place to raise children? We have 3--a 6 yr old, 4 yr old and an 8 month old.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 PM

97 posts, read 227,577 times
Salisbury is not near Winston-Salem....it is considered Metro Charlotte. You might want to post under Charlotte.

Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 19,898 times
Thank you. I will do that.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Far as this forum it doesnt follow the rules of MSA and such. It depends on the interest of the poster for outlying cities-towns.

Its ok to post questions about Salisbury in Triad forum, Triad forum but I like seeing threads about Salisbury in the state forum so it gets seen likely by more those who are familiar as the traffic of state forum is lighter.

This forum discourages cross posting, but a mod (me) will be happy to move to needed forum. There is a few posters on the forum who live in Salisbury area.

I shop frequently and do buisness periodically there, but not familiar with housing specifics to gear you in correct direction except avoid places near Spencer.

It is a safe town and love the historic downtown.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I grew up there and until last 20 years, Salisbury was a lot "closer" to WS. I have not been back in a long time, but it is pretty normal. Living now very near the coast, I really miss the central geo of the Piedmont. Have a sick daughter at WCU, wife just left for 7 hour trip to do, something, not sure what with her.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRMother101 View Post
I just posted this and it was deleted. If there is a better place for me to post this question, please let me know. I'm looking for information for Salisbury which is south of Winston-Salem.

My husband is graduating with his Master's degree and is now looking for employment. There is a job listing in Salisbury (with the city) that looks promising. (He has interviews in 4 different cities and I want to start my research on these cities--Salisbury, NC, Greenville, SC, Ashland VA and Manassas VA.

I would like to know what is it like living in Salisbury.

Would it be better to live in Salisbury or outside of it? Any areas that I should avoid?

I love the idea of moving to a smaller town. Before attending grad school we living in a small town here but I hated that I had to drive 20 minutes to go to the grocery store. Are there plenty of conveniences in town? How is the traffic?

What is the weather like?

Is Salisbury safe--low crime?

Cost of living? We're coming from an area with a high cost of living--rent here is between 1200 to 1500 for a small apartment in a good area. We will be renting for a few years before we purchase a house.

Is it a good place to raise children? We have 3--a 6 yr old, 4 yr old and an 8 month old.

Thank you!
Salisbury is growing along I 85 with some traffic in the Downtown area and the 2 main interstate exits (75&76). Movies, shopping, active down town, 4 colleges,Theater's (new one opened last week.), arts district, historic district,3 golf coures in city limits and 3 just outside, alot of tennis courts and basketball too. Weather is hot in July and August and mild rest of year. Crime, well certain areas of the county (Rowan) have crime issues. Lots of rentals in town from Apts. to single family homes, Also Lake front around High Rock Lake rentals. I have found the cost of living to be lower then NJ where I moved from. Dont know about raising children here as mine are up and gone. Check out the Zillow site for a better idea of costs and schools.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:15 PM

124 posts, read 242,613 times
Boss...where is the new Theater located? Oh and Salisbury is IN Rowan county, the crime is located mostly in the run down parts of town. Overall it's a safe place to live.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:30 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
329 Lee Street has just opens Nov. 7. Smith family Foun. See Salisbury Post and search Lee Street Theater.

Last edited by Boss; 10-27-2013 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM

124 posts, read 242,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Lee Street has just opened after make over. Smith family Foun.
Oh! Ok thanks

Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylea73 View Post
Boss...where is the new Theater located? Oh and Salisbury is IN Rowan county, the crime is located mostly in the run down parts of town. Overall it's a safe place to live.
*cough*Spencer*cough*

Salisbury has a wonderful historic district worth exploring. Also, while there is an abundance of chain restaurants, there are many local eateries worth checking out (Romano's - yum). Some of the businesses, you have to be willing to navigate crazy roads, but they are worth it. Krispy Creme has a standalone store on West Innes. Traffic can be a little tight there, but a traffic light is positioned to make it relatively easy to get in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point