U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM

37 posts, read 167,429 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to the Triad area from NJ. Son and daughterinlaw and grandaughter already live in Greensboro.
I am retired so I don't have to be close to work but I don't want to live too far from son 20+ is far enough. Here is my problem I have a Vintage sportscar that I trailer too and from the racetracks (more in NC than NJ) and I need to find a town that does not have restrictions about trailer parking on your own property. I am not the stock car type that stays up allnight annoying the neighbors with lots of noise. I just want a nice little 3 bedroom ranch with at least 1 acre and room for my trailer.

Any towns near Greenboro that fit the bill?

Thanks,
RD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Well, Reidsville is around 20 miles from Greensboro and around 35 miles from VIR. Rockingham County has lower taxes than Guilford County.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-17-2006 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times
Default trailer

I would check out almost any non-subdivision area outside of Greensboro and in Guilford County (or even east Forsyth County around Kernersville). Subdivisions will most likely have restrictions on keeping trailers/cars visible from the road or by neighbors. There are plenty of affordable areas with land that wouldn't have these restrictions - Guilford County still has a lot of open space.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:39 PM

37 posts, read 167,429 times
mm34b, JAS
Thanks for the input, I already had Reidsville on my radar and am thinking about Trinity, Archdale and Pleasant Garden. Anthing negative about those three?

RD

Old 10-19-2006, 12:39 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,626 times
I lived in Pleasant Garden for awhile and loved it. It's on the southeastern side of Greensboro. Very close to it. But once you get into Pleasant Garden, you wouldn't know you were so close to Greensboro. It's a quiet, peaceful little town. I'd love to live there again someday.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,553,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
I am planning on moving to the Triad area from NJ. Son and daughterinlaw and grandaughter already live in Greensboro.
I am retired so I don't have to be close to work but I don't want to live too far from son 20+ is far enough. Here is my problem I have a Vintage sportscar that I trailer too and from the racetracks (more in NC than NJ) and I need to find a town that does not have restrictions about trailer parking on your own property. I am not the stock car type that stays up allnight annoying the neighbors with lots of noise. I just want a nice little 3 bedroom ranch with at least 1 acre and room for my trailer.

Thanks,
RD
Hi Roger,
I am in the Charlotte area (relocated from NY in 1998) and I honestly don't know much about the Triad area in terms of real estate. But I can refer you to a realtor there who can help you with your specific requirements -- just PM me and I'd be happy to do so!
Take care and best of luck in your move!

Old 10-20-2006, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,159 times
Default Check out Burlington!

I just moved here from NJ too. I live in Burlington, about 20 miles from Greensboro and I love it! Property prices are a lot cheaper than NJ. I'm renting for now but plan to stay and buy a house. I don't think there are any ordinances about trailers. I know you can't have anymore than motor vehicles or trailers without current license plates. Here's the link to the City of Burlington official website. There are several parks for boating and fishing and an aquatics center for swimming. Plenty of stores and restaurants too.

Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,159 times
Forgot the link.

http://www.burlingtonnc.gov/index.asp?NID=198

Old 10-20-2006, 04:32 PM

463 posts, read 1,518,664 times
Default Look into Stokesdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
I am planning on moving to the Triad area from NJ. Son and daughterinlaw and grandaughter already live in Greensboro.I am retired so I don't have to be close to work but I don't want to live too far from son 20+ is far enough. Here is my problem I have a Vintage sportscar that I trailer too and from the racetracks (more in NC than NJ) and I need to find a town that does not have restrictions about trailer parking on your own property. I am not the stock car type that stays up allnight annoying the neighbors with lots of noise. I just want a nice little 3 bedroom ranch with at least 1 acre and room for my trailer.

Thanks,
RD
Stokesdale. About 30 minutes to downtown Greensboro. 15 minutes to the edge of Greensboro and to I 40 -- the major interstate. Part of Stokesdale is in Guilford County ( the county where Greensboro is) and part is just over the border into Rockingham county. Lower taxes, more reasonable home prices in Stokesdale that is in Rockingham county than Stokesdale that is in Guilford County, and far fewer chances of running into restrictive HOA's that would prevent you from parking your vintage car and trailer. It's much closer to Greensboro than Burlington is.

There isn't much at all in Reidsville -- and while it's quickly turning into a retirement area, we also saw the first TOWNHOMES there *starting* at 325K last week. That is rapidly approaching northern VA prices.

Stokesdale just over the Guilford county line into Rockingham isn't seeing that kind of development or high prices yet and it's still pretty much "live and let live" unless you get into a relatively new subdivision with an HOA. It's also close to amenities. Restaurants, shopping, service stations, etc.

Best wishes in making your decision. Best wishes with your move!

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-20-2006 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-21-2006, 04:05 AM

12 posts, read 46,920 times
Trying to get away from Greensboro or even Guilford Country
Eden is good area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point