U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 6,490 times
Default Winston-Salem welcomes Carolina Ale House!

I was pleasantly surprised to hear the coming of Carolina Ale House to Winston-Salem, to say the least. I had eaten at a few of their locations in the Raleigh area and had absolutely loved it!

The new one here in Winston-Salem is located on the outskirts of Hanes Mall, replacing the old O'Charleys building for anyone that hasn't cruised by and seen the construction in the last few weeks. It has been 100% remodeled from the floors to the curtains, and after my first visit last night, would give it an easy 5 stars! The wait staff was friendly and knowledgable, the atmosphere was excellent if you enjoy the "sports bar" theme, but also like to be able to enjoy your meal and still hear yourself think. The restaurant is sort of split down the middle, with the bar on one side, and the dining room more on the other. There are numerous flat screens scattered about the restaurant with a variety of of games on for you to watch and keep updated on as well.

The food was phenomenal! I ordered a basic bacon cheeseburger with all the basics and fries. Hands down the best burger i've had in the last five years. Cooked perfect, great taste, cheese thoroughly melted, super fresh toppings, and amazing batter-tossed fries. My old lady ordered the fried shrimp platter with fries, and they were amazing as well. Fried Shrimp was once my favorite dish to order at Chilis, but these easily put theirs under the table. No question that the food is A+ in my experience. Might even return tonight!

Now on to the best part IMO.. the beer! This place has an insane 72 brews on draft, and close to 100 ADDITIONAL bottle brews! Its almost overwhelming, but in a "died and gone to heaven" kind of way (for me, anyway). The beer menu is wide spread offering an amazing selection, and is super informative for those who arent experienced and what to know the descriptions of each! Not to mention Wednesdays are $3.00 pint nights! Margaritas and cocktails are also offered, however I didn't personally check out that menu. They offer mixed beer drinks, which are a bit off, but cool to try. I tried a Black(?) Velvet last night, which was a 1/4 glass cider and 3/4 glass Guiness Stout. Probably the strangest thing i've ever tried. I can't even begin to explain it, but i enjoyed it. I also tried New Belgium 1554 which was a great ale on special, as well as a Young's Double Chocolate Stout which was nothing short of amazing if you enjoy a dark, robust brew with a chocolately flavor. Popular local beers from Foothills Brewing and Highland Brewing share a spot on the menu also.

All in all, i'd definitely recommend this place to anyone. Prices are affordable, food & brews are great, and the atmosphere is awesome! It's gonna give the competitors a run for their money!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 AM

17,081 posts, read 20,967,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicalbright View Post
located (within the) Hanes Mall (Parking Lot Loop Road), replacing the old O'Charleys

150 Hanes Mall Circle
Carolina Ale House - Food , Sports, Fun - Carolina Ale House - Winston-Salem, NC

All in all, i'd definitely recommend this place...
blatant sales pitch spam aside...

Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,984,896 times
Spam or not, 72 draft brews sounds awesome, so I'm in!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 AM

15 posts, read 6,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
blatant sales pitch spam aside...
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Spam or not, 72 draft brews sounds awesome, so I'm in!
Confused as to who's spamming what..? But none the less, 72 drafts is crazy. I actually hadn't heard of probably 60% of them either. Makes it hard to really know whats what, but the beer menu breakdown sums it up for the most part. It tells for example what an "Ale" would consist of, what to expect out of a "Stout"..ect. Only thing that was weird is I asked the waitress about what "seasonals" they were offering (because it said "Ask us what seasonals we offer") and she said that their seasonals arent ACTUALLY seasonal, and that they carry them all year-round. They just call whichever one fits "seasonal" when it fits the time of year. What I gathered from that they'll carry an Octoberfest year round, but around Fall they'll start pawning it off as a "seasonal". Maybe theres a price difference when it's time comes, not sure.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM

675 posts, read 745,761 times
Have only been to one, in Wake Forest NC. We don't drink beer, but it was good meal. Saw the construction the other day by the mall; didn't realize they were already open.

On a semi-related note, I ate at Bad Daddy's today for lunch - my second visit there. Very good (though pricey) burger!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 PM

6,361 posts, read 8,603,462 times
Beats Chili's or Applebees or something, but there with the continued success of Foothills and the opening of two authentically local new brewpubs (Small Batch and Hoots) and a great new bottle shop (Stella Brew), this is, at best, the fifth most-exciting beer-related announcement in Winston.

Drink local

Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM

11,095 posts, read 5,887,150 times
I have been to CAH in Raleigh a few times. Phenominal? Hardly, but it is decent yet it's still another sports bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point