U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM

4,599 posts, read 4,416,877 times

Advertisements

The question I would have is how much more would it cost the developers to build their own deck? When you look at other examples downtown, The Marriott has its own deck that was built privately. I think the complex arrangement of this project is leading to questions among city council persons. As far as I know, there isnt a downtown structure thats partly owned by the city and partly owned by a private entity. This is common in larger cities. The city is weighing if it should own the deck under the hotel, or lease the spaces. I have no problem with the city spending money on the deck as long as the general public is allowed to use it and not just hotel guests. Like Councilwoman Hoffman said, they may need to add more parking deck levels so there is enough parking for both hotel guests and downtown patrons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 AM

29,948 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Parking requirements tend to be too generous anyway; that's been repeatedly demonstrated, but in this case at least parking will be in a deck.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:45 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,144,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The question I would have is how much more would it cost the developers to build their own deck? When you look at other examples downtown, The Marriott has its own deck that was built privately. I think the complex arrangement of this project is leading to questions among city council persons. As far as I know, there isnt a downtown structure thats partly owned by the city and partly owned by a private entity. This is common in larger cities. The city is weighing if it should own the deck under the hotel, or lease the spaces. I have no problem with the city spending money on the deck as long as the general public is allowed to use it and not just hotel guests. Like Councilwoman Hoffman said, they may need to add more parking deck levels so there is enough parking for both hotel guests and downtown patrons.
An interesting discussion. There is a similar project in downtown Roanoke that has hit a snag concerning building a Hotel on top of a City owned parking deck. The project developer from Hampton Suites in this case is working with City Council to work out arrangements with long term spaces vs Hotel space. The biggest issue is currently the cost of building a Hotel on top of a Hotel. Period. It seems since this project was proposed the bids for construction have gone way up! Apparently it is much cheaper to build from the ground up.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 AM

update the developer will build the parking deck themselves and the city is offering $2million in incentives. The 8 to 10 story hotel will sit on top of a 6 story parking deck.

There are three other major large scale downtown projects in the works and two of those projects also include hotels.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-01-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 03:28 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,320,032 times
........and the removal of a recently burned building

Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM

Greensboro city council voted to give nearly $2 million in incentives to the Wyndham Hotel project. Its now a done deal and downtown will see the first new construction high-rise in 25 years.

The hotel will actually be close to 13 stories tall. The parking deck levels have been reduced from 6 stories to 4.5 stories according to the news and record. The hotel is projected to open in August 2015.

http://www.news-record.com/news/loca...a4bcf6878.html

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-04-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,320,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro city council voted to give nearly $2 million in incentives to the Wyndham Hotel project. Its now a done deal and downtown will see the first new construction high-rise in 25 years.
(incentives notwithstanding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point