U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM

4,606 posts, read 4,433,470 times

Advertisements

city leaders trying to lure Boeing Airplane assembly plant to Greensboro. Would be great to land this on the heels of Honda Aircraft Company coming which has its world headquarters and a jet assembly plant in Greensboro. The city's aviation cluster, the Mid-Atlantic Air Cargo FedEx hub and its location at I-40, I-85, and I-73/74 should make Greensboro stand out among nearby competing cities. Boeing said its looking for an airport area with good road and rail access. If Greensboro were to land the plant, it could be as large as 3 or 4 million square feet and cost as much as $10 billion, probably the most expensive project in Greensboro's history. It would dwarf any manufacturing facility thats ever come to the state. But this would be a game changer for Greensboro.

Piedmont Triad Intl airport officials said:

“We have received an RFP from a very large aircraft manufacturing company to locate a site, and we are right now working on a response to that RFP,”

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...e-running.html

Local officials trying to recruit Boeing plant to the Triad - News-Record.com: Business

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/26934892.cms

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-05-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,339,977 times
Not that this wouldn't be a great thing, but I would like to see more people at the airport instead of a bunch of empty airplanes destined for other places.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,335,793 times
So who is the state going to pick to lure Boeing to NC...

Charlotte or the Triad.....

Neither of us can do it without support from the state......

Charlotte competing for new Boeing jet facility - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM

here is a video about Greensboro's bid.

Greensboro officials trying to bring Boeing plant to the Triad | MyFOX8.com

I think it boils down to which city Boeing narrows down to. I do think Greensboro and Charlotte have better chances than the third site in NC Boeing is looking at (Kinston Global Transpark). Kinston may not have the workforce to support a facility which is rumored to eventually have 8,000 to 10,000 employees. Greensboro has some key advantages over Charlotte. First of all, Greensboro is at the crossroads of I-40, I-85 and I-73/74. The city is located between Charlotte and the Triangle. Greensboro already has a big aviation/logistics presence with Timco, Cessna, FedEx and of course Honda Aircraft Company which has its world headquarters and assembles jets in Greensboro. So there is already airplane manufacturing in Greensboro. There is also an aviation school near PTI which would train a workforce in aviation. Finally PTI has a much lower number of passenger flights than Charlotte Douglas. Less crowded skies in Greensboro would be a plus for Boeing. Eventually Boeing will narrow it down to one site per state thats on their radar so my guess is thats its between Greensboro and Charlotte in NC. One of the two cities will become the finalist for our state.....but you are right, without support from the GOP controlled general assembly in Raleigh, neither city might not make the cut.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 AM

302 posts, read 538,721 times
I see the Triad at the tail end of any list. Where is the land? I don't see Boeing waiting months and years while land around PTI is assembled and acquired, then donated on a silver platter to Boeing. The land is already available in Charlotte near the modal rail yard acreage, but good luck to the people in Guilford.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 AM

10,000 jobs is a game-changed for the state.

Charlotte has a massive airport with more runways than London Heathrow (if I'm not mistaken)

The new Norfolk-Southern yard is beig relocated to the airport and the port of Charleston & Savannah are all able to reach Charlotte in 1 day. Charlotte is trying to turn the airport area into a logistics hub (especially for when the Canal is expanded) and get a world trade center at the airport.

I wonder if NC would try to split Boeing like they did with MetLife between Charlotte & Cary. 1,000+ each.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
I see the Triad at the tail end of any list. Where is the land? I don't see Boeing waiting months and years while land around PTI is assembled and acquired, then donated on a silver platter to Boeing. The land is already available in Charlotte near the modal rail yard acreage, but good luck to the people in Guilford.
PTI has over 1,000 acres of available land. when the taxiway is complete over a future portion of I-73 in 2014 any aviation company will have access to that land

first mention of Greensboro from a media source outside the state about Greensboro's bid for Boeing.

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...ble-contenders

putting incentives aside, Greensboro has a better than average chance of landing Boeing just based on infrastructure.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...g-will-be.html

Old 12-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Charlotte, id assume, has deeper pockets...

This is an awkward position to be in for Charlotte, Greensboro & Raleigh...

For us in CLT, it's more than just jobs, it's creating a logistics hub. And that's #1 on Cannons list (our new mayor).

I just wanna know who the states going to support.... Greensboro or Charlotte or both.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:02 PM

In the case of Greensboro, it would be a regional incentive package since this is really a regional project that would attract even more companies to the Triad. More than likely Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point would combine their resources to match what Charlotte puts up. One thing Greensboro has been attempting to do over the last decade is to find its own economic niche. Charlotte has banking, Raleigh/Durham has research and biotech. Greensboro has been focusing on becoming a logistics and aviation hub as well as a nanotechnology hub. It makes sense since three interstates intersect in the city and Greensboro is centrally located. This is how Greensboro beat Charlotte and Raleigh for the Mid Atlantic FedEx Hub back in 1998. Over the past several years leaders have been trying to turn Greensboro into an "aerotropolis" by attracting companies in the aviation/aerospace industries. The most recent success story is luring the world headquarters of Honda Aircraft Company along with its jet assembly plant to Piedmont Triad Intl Airport. Airplane manufacturing is already a reality in Greensboro. This beefs up Greensboro's resume for something bigger like Boeing. However, we have to put this in perspective. There are other states and as many as 40 cities putting bids in for Boeing so we have a long long way to go. North Carolina might get knocked out in the first round. But if Boeing had to chose between Charlotte and Greensboro, I would say they would pick Greensboro for these reasons:

1) I-85/I-40/I-73/74
2) distribution/logistics/aviation cluster (FedEx Hub, Timco, HondaJet, Mack Trucks, Volvo Trucks of North America, ect)
3) good rail access and plenty of land
4) available workforce
5) low passenger air traffic (Boeing would rather stay away from busy passenger traffic airports)
5) GTCC Aviation school near the airport (key in training future Boeing employees)

Here is Honda Aircraft Company in Greensboro

http://hondajet.honda.com/documentum..._-_249x172.jpg

and here is the jet the company assembles at Piedmont Triad Intl Airport

http://world.honda.com/HondaJet/Styl...images/top.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erior_2011.jpg

I think Boeing will narrow it down to one city in NC and that city will have to compete with cities in other states. This is going to be Boeing's choice, not the state's. But we'll see what happens. This still could be a longshot for NC. How can our state match over a billion dollars worth of incentives in Missouri? Thats a tall order even if democrats were running our state.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-06-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 02:24 PM

29,984 posts, read 27,526,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I wonder if NC would try to split Boeing like they did with MetLife between Charlotte & Cary. 1,000+ each.
I think that was MetLife's doing, not NC's. I see no need as to why Boeing would split these jobs up.

At any rate, I don't think I've seen as much competition for jobs among states since....I don't even know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point