Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is known as an anecdote.

I'll submit that other universal to any location reasons for not hiring you (in particular)
need to be eliminated before throwing out the Yankee Discrimination card.

The most obvious of these being the over qualified for the MW job making a former executive or owner type A) likely to leave quickly B) will make management problems with expert type observations.
You can call that age discrimination but it really isn't.

Then of course there's the preference to hire someone who needs the job to support themselves.
Not to mention for some his background might pose an unfounded threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,339,162 times
I bet it's more likely a New Yorker wouldn't hire someone from Atlanta because "Rednecks aren't welcome in New York"

In other words, In Greensboro you'd never ever hear a normal person say that. Or anywhere in NC other than a Podunk gas station in Back Swamp or Lizard Lick or somewhere where they wear tin foil hats.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:59 AM

60 posts, read 130,643 times
Default Recently relocated from the Syracuse area to Winston

We've had no issues whatsoever with people treating us differently as transplants from the north. In fact, people have been incredibly warm and welcoming...nicer than we're used to as north-easterners.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,417,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYLion View Post
We've had no issues whatsoever with people treating us differently as transplants from the north. In fact, people have been incredibly warm and welcoming...nicer than we're used to as north-easterners.
Maybe that's because you project a warm and friendly attitude; and your title on CD doesn't advertise you are "surrounded by rednecks".

Old 12-23-2013, 03:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,297,571 times
I like it here because I am surrounded by folks who obviously are not interested in collecting enough tax money from me to educated their kids. I'm good with that.
Those damn folks up North are too concerned about paying teachers a living wage. Jeeze they only work nine months a year.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I like it here because I am surrounded by folks who obviously are not interested in collecting enough tax money from me to educated their kids. I'm good with that.
Those damn folks up North are too concerned about paying teachers a living wage. Jeeze they only work nine months a year.
Remember that when you go to the "doctor" and you realize that same person sold you a slushee the day before.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,471 times
many are nice but many are rude to the home grown. it's not difficult to understand the sentiments.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 PM

774 posts, read 1,849,597 times
Default Come on!

What a bunch of bull hockey.

When you move here, you're looked upon as an, "Outsider" and an "Intruder."

The problems you'll encounter in "The Dirty South" aren't limited to North Carolina, the Southern States, nor even to the North American Continent ... it's "modernity.'

Here's some disturbing facts we face today:
  • The test scores of "The IQ of Average Americans" has dropped and continue to drop
  • People talk about the, "War on the Middle Class" but refrain from acknowledging that the tactics that led up to "The Great Recession" continues and it seems, the big corporations will have their way in creating so much desperation that many American workers will take any kind of job, not complain and work for the equivalent of 200 Chinese Yen.
  • With decrease in, "Disposable Income", people don't travel like they used to. Provincial attitudes reign and SOME view "outsiders" as a threat.
  • Attachment Issues ... and I think this is one of the biggest things that plague both the area and the nation (if not the developing world). Economic stress on the family results in parents working harder, longer hours. This leaves children to bond more with other children. The "Parental Shield" is often missing. This is why after every school shooting, its discovered that the father is divorced (or emotionally absent) and the mother is called at work. Kids who often didn't get enough nurturing in the first place, are left to solve problems with answers they get from video games and other kids.
  • Generational Trauma ... this one is HUGE. Untreated trauma eventually turns into Personality Disorders. There's no coincidence that the United States takes 80% of the world's pain killers, psych meds, and illegal drugs. Remember, the South has never fully recovered from the generational wounds of the Civil War. You'll still hear some ... a few ... white men talking about "The Confederacy" in the present tense. Likewise, you have blacks still trapped in "Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome".
  • Toxic Shame. Families and communities that encourage malicious gossip are dysfunctional and create dysfunctional people. (Beware of Walmart Shoppers! ) Revisit what Texan John Bradshaw said about Toxic Shame.

The list goes on.
Social engineering and "Designed Aggression" (.. by the way, Passive Aggression is huge here... a cowardly way for some people to feel superior to others by treating them the same abusive ways they've been treated in the past.)
Here is a link to a short analysis of Ray Bradbury's,
Fahrenheit 451
. Truffaut made the movie of that book and everything he predicted is true today... even as ... we talk to these machines ... instead of directly to one another...

Yes, anyone designated as, "The Other" will find problems ... If you're not Jesus here to make my life easier and reinforce my resentments, you're an outsider ... a threat... a confirmation of my smallness ...

Problems are actually opportunities, right? Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell would say the world's myths paint a map that metaphorically documents the subconscious journey life is. The opposition ... the labels ... are on one hand, projections made by people that tells you what their disavowed shadow is, and on the other hand, it's "The Odyssey".. The Hero's Journey we're ALL on ("Star Wars," Dorthy in "The Wizard of Oz," and yes, even "Harry Potter").

There's so much to this place it ain't even funny.
But the problems in this beautiful state are everywhere. They just have a different accent and different themes ... but they're the same problems. None of us can escape what we need next to learn.

There's a lot of good here. So far I've created a life for myself that I couldn't in other states.
But beware of these forums...

People told me before I got here to come ... "but don't bring your politics or your religion with you."
So... I avoided talking to them about them. I already know that most people think the Bible is supposed to be read literally so I don't even try.
BUT THEN THEY INSIST ON KNOWING YOU!
((LOL))
Highly frustrating ... knowing that I'm going to **** someone off if I start talking ... then experiencing passive and overt aggression when I don't.

This is MY learning.
My next series of gifts ... diamonds ... are found within this lump of coal.

Three-fourths of the people here are good people who deal with the problems of the day better than most places because they don't have to live all stacked on top of each other ... but it's the other fourth ... those troubled, ignorant, bigots that you remember. Maybe it's even half. They're learning ... and so are we all.

Don't let the haters stop you. Move here or wherever because wherever you go, they'll be there waiting.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,723,373 times
It really is all about attitude more than geography. Unfortunately, far too many locals have dealt with far too many Northern (especially Northeastern) transplants who move here having done very little research, only interested in "the lower cost of living", and expect to find every amenity they had "back home" (never possible) and worse, treat Southerners with a very patronizing/condescending attitude. After years and years of this, one develops a certain eye-rolling attitude toward "yet ANOTHER New Yorker" moving here because one cannot be sure that the same superior attitude won't come in tow.

If this is something that worries you, just be conscious that YOU are the newcomer, YOU are the one with the funny accent who likes the foods that aren't known here, and the grocery stores they don't have here, and see it as an adventure. Many if not most transplants assimilate just fine, but enough do not--and try to change things to be the way they were "up north", that you will encounter some distrust by many until you prove yourself to be friendly and non-arrogant about the South.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:58 AM

774 posts, read 1,849,597 times
Default OP ... don't believe the hype!

It's more than "trust" .... it's more than ... "Oh ... dem Yankees done treated us soooo badly!!"

BULL HOCKEY!!
((LOL))

If you search the videos for why people fight, you'll come up with some that give you three reasons:
  1. People fight or struggle for causes
  2. They fight for prosperity
  3. They fight for SOCIAL STATUS.

People in the Greensboro area will tell you tales of woe and despair over the way they have treated EACH OTHER for a very, very long time. The human dynamics are already here.

It's like all this "Obama" stuff.
I don't care one way or another about Obama...
But the type of people who complain about "Obama" were unhappy BEFORE he got into office, and they'll be unhappy AFTER he leaves.
That's what irks me. Personal problems aren't solved because people fight the wrong darn wars.

You being "from the north" is just one more thing to give dysfunctional human beings reason grab at something else in the crab barrel. Social Status. I do NOT consider this to be a racist place ... in fact, it feels far better than most places racially ... but there's some kind of long, deep, stuff here around Social Status that I haven't figured out yet and from what I've seen, don't want to.

It is NOT about North or West. It's more about control and control is about shame.

Don't let them flim-flam ya.
Same stuff, different accent.
People the world over have lost the ability to be civil.
People are too petty and self-centered.

Listen to the complaints ...
"Who does HE think HE IS?
"WE're the important ones ... he's an "INTRUDER" .. into our perfect world." (really??)
Quote:
"....just be conscious that YOU are the newcomer, YOU are the one with the funny accent who likes the foods that aren't known here..."
Before you open your mouth there's an assumption about you. You'll be dreamed up anywhere, and so it's true here. Someone has felt less-than and their guard is up hyper-defensively not to feel that way again. WHO'S FAULT IS THAT????

Quote:
and the grocery stores they don't have here, and see it as an adventure. Many if not most transplants assimilate just fine, but enough do not--and try to change things to be the way they were "up north", that you will encounter some distrust by many until you prove yourself to be friendly and non-arrogant about the South.
THAT'S EVERYWHERE Francois!

We had HORDES of people escaping New York come in and make the same kinds of complaints ... "It's not like they have in New York..."
After a while they either go back to New York or settle down.
PEOPLE BRING GIFTS ... if you let them.. on all sides.
The Deli meats aren't like they are in New York? One day there will be a "NEW DELI DOWNTOWN" and everyone will be slapping their lips around it and somebody like Francois will be the first in line.
((LOL))

"The only constant ... THE ONLY... constant in the universe is change."
Everyone is supposed to be such good Christians... but a lot seem to be unable to accept that "God" obviously LIKES change. Resist it or not.. change happens!!!!!!

People making a big damn deal outta nothing.
It's so big that it has to be about something deeper and those deeper issues have to do with the themes and traumas that have been in the region and the country for decades ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point