U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 AM

978 posts, read 1,621,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It really is all about attitude more than geography. Unfortunately, far too many locals have dealt with far too many Northern (especially Northeastern) transplants who move here having done very little research, only interested in "the lower cost of living", and expect to find every amenity they had "back home" (never possible) and worse, treat Southerners with a very patronizing/condescending attitude. After years and years of this, one develops a certain eye-rolling attitude toward "yet ANOTHER New Yorker" moving here because one cannot be sure that the same superior attitude won't come in tow.

If this is something that worries you, just be conscious that YOU are the newcomer, YOU are the one with the funny accent who likes the foods that aren't known here, and the grocery stores they don't have here, and see it as an adventure. Many if not most transplants assimilate just fine, but enough do not--and try to change things to be the way they were "up north", that you will encounter some distrust by many until you prove yourself to be friendly and non-arrogant about the South.
I don't dislike any group of people, but I personally have had a number of negative encounters with rude Yankees. They are usually more blunt and not afraid to speak their mind (which sometimes is a good thing, and sometimes I wish Southerners were more assertive). They can be loud at times (dealt with a NJ family on the plane to Europe and had to deal with their obnoxiousness for 10+ hours). I have also been cut off, honked at, flipped off by numerous people with license plates from Northern states. I've also been in restaurants and stores where the customer (with a Northern accent) was very rude with the cashier/server.

To be perfectly frank, at times I felt like my home state was being taken over by the "obnoxiously loud friend who overstays his welcome and won't get the hint to go home".

On the bright side, I worked with some Northerners who had been in the state for years and seemed to fit in well. It seemed like the newcomers were the worst and that certain regions were worse than others. The rudest and worst generally came from NJ, NY, and MA. Never had a problem with Midwest, or anyone from the upper Northeast (ME, VT, NH, etc.).

I got tired of dealing with passive aggressive, talking behind your back, bless-your-heart style Southerners (my family fits well in this category), and rude Yankees, so I moved to the Midwest. I don't plan on ever leaving this region. No rude Yankees here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,424,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I got tired of dealing with passive aggressive, talking behind your back, bless-your-heart style Southerners (my family fits well in this category), and rude Yankees, so I moved to the Midwest. I don't plan on ever leaving this region. No rude Yankees here.
Hey, coming from a lifelong Midwesterner, thanks!

Actually, I have heard this before. My dh's family on both sides are all originally from the South but most of my in-laws relocated to the Upper Midwest back in the 1950s for jobs. They acclimated just fine, and they say that they don't see much difference in people here vs. people back home. People here are unpretentious, small town, still pretty religious, and down to earth. Even the people that I know from around here who moved South have not had problems acclimating, because their general attitude was that the locals were there first, it's their "home turf", so to speak, and when you relocate you do so not just for weather or a job, but because you actually appreciate the people and the culture of that region.

I feel really badly for the folks from NY, NJ, and MA who are not like the "rude Yankee" stereotype, and I have met some in our travels around the South. However, they often get overshadowed by the "I'm better than you, I know more than you, I don't like your politics or religion and plan to make some sweeping changes to your culture and way of life when I get there because I want it to be just like the place I just left only cheaper and warmer" people from those areas.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 AM

10,576 posts, read 4,414,893 times
Having come from NJ to NC I have found many ask why. I talk to them and listen to them and then explain that my kids went to college in NC and never came home. They married people they met at school. I have grandkids being raised in NC.
So the answer becomes I moved here because the People of NC are good and friendly, welcomed my family, so I have followed them.

Best move I ever made!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:54 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,474,159 times
If you don't like NC or anywhere in the South, leave. NC is full of warm, welcoming people; but they, like anyone else, do not like to be patronized. Some, not all, people from the North believe the South to be inferior. Why else would a particular poster have "surrounded by rednecks" on his profile? There are ignorant, bigoted people all over the world. All people wish to be treated with respect. When you move to an area and tell the locals everything wrong with their hometown, you will not be treated well. You get what you give most of the time.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,041,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I don't dislike any group of people, but I personally have had a number of negative encounters with rude Yankees. They are usually more blunt and not afraid to speak their mind (which sometimes is a good thing, and sometimes I wish Southerners were more assertive). They can be loud at times (dealt with a NJ family on the plane to Europe and had to deal with their obnoxiousness for 10+ hours). I have also been cut off, honked at, flipped off by numerous people with license plates from Northern states. I've also been in restaurants and stores where the customer (with a Northern accent) was very rude with the cashier/server.

To be perfectly frank, at times I felt like my home state was being taken over by the "obnoxiously loud friend who overstays his welcome and won't get the hint to go home".

On the bright side, I worked with some Northerners who had been in the state for years and seemed to fit in well. It seemed like the newcomers were the worst and that certain regions were worse than others. The rudest and worst generally came from NJ, NY, and MA. Never had a problem with Midwest, or anyone from the upper Northeast (ME, VT, NH, etc.).

Years ago when we first moved to NC I was talking to a native and they went off on rude Yankees. I said I'm a Yankee I grew up in Wisconsin. I was emphatically told Wisconsin wasn't Yankee he meant those people from up north you know New York! First time I ever heard Wisconsin wasn't up north.
But for NC Yankees mean NY. NJ because so many have come from there. The midwest just doesn't register. For those of us who pick up on the flat vowels of the midwest the accents give us away, we know we're here.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,474,159 times
I have spent all of my live in the South, and I love it. I do not like hearing someone tell me how they do it in their home state. I have always lived in parts of the South near the Gulf or the ocean, so people want to live there. Remember when you move to any part of the country that people that call the area home are proud of it. They know it is not perfect, but they don't need your negativity. I have always wondered if the Northern states are so great why so many people leave them. There must be something about the South that you like, so be respectful and others will respect you.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM

978 posts, read 1,621,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Years ago when we first moved to NC I was talking to a native and they went off on rude Yankees. I said I'm a Yankee I grew up in Wisconsin. I was emphatically told Wisconsin wasn't Yankee he meant those people from up north you know New York! First time I ever heard Wisconsin wasn't up north.
But for NC Yankees mean NY. NJ because so many have come from there. The midwest just doesn't register. For those of us who pick up on the flat vowels of the midwest the accents give us away, we know we're here.
I had a grade school teacher from Johnston County. He was very Southern and proud of his heritage. Anyone not from the South was a Yankee. Montana, yes, Oregon, yes, California, yes. He even questioned Kentucky. Haha

I giggle a little when I hear someone from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesoooota, or the Dakotuhs. All really nice people though. No matter where you are from, what you drive, or how to dress, Midwesterners generally treat everyone the same.

I have no Southern accent at all and have even been asked where I'm from or if I'm from up North (all when I lived in NC). I guess some people aren't used to a neutral accent. Most people in upper MO have a neutral accent.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
I dealt with the "damn Yankee" attitiude as well, but when I would say I was from MI I would be asked how long I lived here. My time spent living here qualified me as "all right."
Bottom line: southerners may curse yankees, but when a yankee speaks up the southerner is not going to do s**t about it.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,535,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Having come from NJ to NC I have found many ask why. I talk to them and listen to them and then explain that my kids went to college in NC and never came home. They married people they met at school. I have grandkids being raised in NC.
So the answer becomes I moved here because the People of NC are good and friendly, welcomed my family, so I have followed them.

Best move I ever made!
this is what i call moving for a reason. Enjoy

In NC we refer to the family relationship as being 'blood'. my kin. maybe due to our strong Scots background. don't know.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,657,462 times
Sounds like a lame excuse. I am in IT, from Philadelphia originally and have worked in NC, SC, GA, and VA, TN. Maybe that's his way of pretending it's not him who is lacking in skill.

Now if it were a mom and pop diner, I could see it, they don't have professionals running their HR departments; but NO company would admit that even if it were true; they'd only be asking for a Lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point