U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,137,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Years ago when we first moved to NC I was talking to a native and they went off on rude Yankees. I said I'm a Yankee I grew up in Wisconsin. I was emphatically told Wisconsin wasn't Yankee he meant those people from up north you know New York! First time I ever heard Wisconsin wasn't up north.
But for NC Yankees mean NY. NJ because so many have come from there. The midwest just doesn't register. For those of us who pick up on the flat vowels of the midwest the accents give us away, we know we're here.
WI is certainly up North, but it's not Yankee. Yankee's are from the North East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:59 AM

774 posts, read 1,695,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
WI is certainly up North, but it's not Yankee. Yankee's are from the North East.
Why is that? WI was on the Union side in the Civil War. Or are you referring to the original New Englander definition of Yankee?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:41 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,137,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Why is that? WI was on the Union side in the Civil War. Or are you referring to the original New Englander definition of Yankee?
I grew up in Ohio, also a union state in the north....but there is no way anyone from there considers themselves a 'Yankee'.

After living down here for over 10 years, the one thing I noticed is that the only Northerners that have problems are the ones that want to come in and change everything and have a chip on their shoulder in dealing with the 'stupid rednecks'.

And darling, even most of the South quite fighting the Civil War 149 years ago.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,471,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I dealt with the "damn Yankee" attitiude as well, but when I would say I was from MI I would be asked how long I lived here. My time spent living here qualified me as "all right."
Bottom line: southerners may curse yankees, but when a yankee speaks up the southerner is not going to do s**t about it.
Speak up about what? No one cares where you are from. If you have an attitude that puts us down, then, we have a problem with it.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:11 PM

18,640 posts, read 23,224,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Wouldn't that be illegal?

Actually, it is not illegal. Non-Southerners are not a "protected class".

I am from NY State originally and my husband and I attempted to buy a house in a fairly unwelcoming area of PA.

We had absolutely no attitude and we have no regional accent.

The Real Estate broker told me outright "the seller doesn't want to sell to outsiders".

We consulted an attorney and we found out that it was true. Had we been a minority group and that was the reason, that would have been different.

Stupidly, we proceeded to move there anyway. It was bad.

We did learn that if an area seems to have a negative preconceived notion about people from your part of the country - just leave.

I get the feeling that NC would qualify as such a place. I am NOT saying that all North Carolinians are that way, but many natives are less than happy about the influx of Northerners that has occurred in recent years.

Just the fact that so many people in this thread are using the word "Yankee", is quite telling.

We wanted a lower cost of living and friendly, well educated people. We found that in the Mid West.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-23-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Speak up about what? No one cares where you are from. If you have an attitude that puts us down, then, we have a problem with it.
By speaking up I mean the yankee stating where they came from. And yes, some southerners do care where you come from so don't even try to plead innocent.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,540 times
Default This is kinda tragic..

As tragic as it is... there is a lot here.

You can tell by the way some have responded that they entered the tread shooting.
They didn't bother to read previous comments, but saw the original post and the button was pushed for the old tape to play and ... BAM!

Quote:
GEORGIANBELLE: If you don't like NC or anywhere in the South, leave. NC is full of warm, welcoming people; but they, like anyone else, do not like to be patronized. Some, not all, people from the North believe the South to be inferior. Why else would a particular poster have "surrounded by rednecks" on his profile? There are ignorant, bigoted people all over the world. All people wish to be treated with respect. When you move to an area and tell the locals everything wrong with their hometown, you will not be treated well. You get what you give most of the time.
(Georgia .. not even NC??)

So ... are we saying ... that in 2014 ... one decade + four years into the New Millennium, that people have to go back to 1864 to find a reason to justify their anger??? Really??

Sad Truth #1 -- If you didn't have new people coming into the region bringing new money, the number of home foreclosures would be a lot higher and many of the people working at big box stores who think it's part of their job descriptions to be rude to to "intruders" bringing them money would be unemployed.

Sad Truth #2-- Again, I don't think a lot of this is even regional tension. It's just too silly. Why? If you remove everyone who wasn't born and raised in the state, and interviewed only the natives, you'd be over whelmed with stories of inhumanity, alcoholism, drug addiction, sexual predation, criminality, political betrayal, racism, sexism, homophobia ... and the list would go on and on... why? Because it's the same list that's everywhere. It is life... everywhere in modern times. We're all being "socially engineered" just like Orwell wrote in, 1984, Huxley wrote in, "Brave New World," and Ray Bradbury brilliantly wrote in, "Fahrenheit 451."

Southern writers like, Tennessee Williams, Faulkner, and Mark Twain tried to use humor and delicate insight to speak to it. But apparently they were too gentle. Frederick Douglass, Ernest Gaines, and Richard Wright are only three of the long list of SOUTHERN writers who tried to fill in the gap about the horrors of how PEOPLE treat each other. One of the most highly praised Southern novels of the 20th century, "To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee," won the Pulitzer Prize ... and still ... the cancer remains.

Sad Truth #3-- What is that "cancer"? It's not just racism and bigotry... those may well be symptoms of the problem... I believe that "Generational Trauma" wraps the shell of what that core issue is. And trauma... untreated ... is huge.

Sad Truth #4-- You can travel to any state in the UNION, and you'll hear a Southern drawl of someone who left. You can go to most places throughout the nation, and where you find Americans, you'll hear somebody speaking with that soft Southern drawl. Nobody tells them to get out... perhaps because they already left...

I grew up in Oakland and both my parents were Southerners. The parents of all my friends were Southerners. We were products of the greatest migration in history... blacks leaving the South in search of, "The Warmth of Other Suns" (awesome Pulitzer Prize winning novel that chronicles it). Our values were Southern. All my life people have thought I was from the South because of the accent I picked up from them. In a way, this is the map of life.... "The Odyssey" ... returning.

Oakland ... like many cities across the nation... that if new blood doesn't come in, a city and its people begin to slowly die. Who knows how many people have moved here from dying Rust Belt towns and cities. How many have come from urban meccas where there simply are too many rats in the cage and "Designed Aggression" is the result?

This stuff about, "Red Necks Vs. Yankees" is insane. It's laughable. You have "Red Necks" in the state of Maine. They're in Idaho, Oregon, and there's a TON of them in California. "Duck Dynasty" isn't marketed just to North Carolina. I don't buy it. That's not the cause of the ... "anger"...

My horse in this race is that I'm observing that people are already mad before I even open my mouth.
The closed network of "Good Old Boy and Good Old Gal-ism" can greet a newcomer with verbal attacks and rudeness that leaves him scratching his head wondering what it was all about.

Sad Truth #5-- "It was already on fire when I laid down on it."
I've only been here for a short time, and I'm impressed by the way people who come out of a rural tradition treat each other. (Black, White, Red, Yellow and Brown.) It's far better and friendlier than in most places in the country... BUT ... IT'S NOT ALL OF THE STORY ... and it's a long cry from everyone.

This link is one of the most POWERFUL videos I've ever seen.
I believe it shows ... without a doubt, the psychological forces that we all live under.
It's not political or spiritual ... it's about.. Power.
The power to mold your thoughts.

There's reasons why America takes 80% of the world's pain killers, anti-depressants, illegal drugs. (I didn't even mention alcohol consumption...)

"Everything is food" ... we are what we think ... the radio shows we listen to. The television shows that massage and seduce our egos... for what purpose?

Human Resources (part 1/9)

Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,471,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
By speaking up I mean the yankee stating where they came from. And yes, some southerners do care where you come from so don't even try to plead innocent.
If you feel this way, why would you want to live in the South? I don't care where you came from, so I can plead whatever I choose. If you told me where you came from, I wouldn't care. If you had an attitude because of where you came from, I would speak up.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM

613 posts, read 640,276 times
I think people need to think about why some Yankees have their well deserved bad reputation.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,619 times
I believe your nephew is telling the truth. I'm sorry but, there are still several southerners who have not taken to outsiders. If they are in the position to choose between a "yankee" and one of their own, more than likely we're out of luck. And if you're already in, they will do everything they can to get you out. It's the southern way. They hold a bible close but It's usually, do as I say not as I do... That being said, I choose the south any day. I left NY for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point