U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times

Advertisements

My southern born and bred daughter is having trouble landing a job in film in NY because "you are not from around here."

How about that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,746,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Why is that? WI was on the Union side in the Civil War. Or are you referring to the original New Englander definition of Yankee?
Federal soldiers from the Old Northwest (modern Midwest) considered themselves "westerners" and it was those westerners who made up the two Federal armies that destroyed the Confederacy; the Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Cumberland. They were tougher and more cocky than the easterners, had very high morale and fighting spirit and usually had the bulge on the rebels, suffering only one major defeat, at Chickamauga.

They held the eastern Federals of the Army of the Potomac in some contempt and when the 11th and 12th Corps from the east were sent to Chattanooga in 1863 they were derided by the western men as "dudes", "paper collar soldiers" and "runners from Bull Run".

Photos of western Federal infantry from Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana (note the almost universal use of slouch hats rather than caps and the variety of uniforms worn--frock coats, shell jackets and fatigue blouses). These were the men who captured Vicksburg, Chattanooga and Atlanta; who marched with Uncle Billy to the Sea and then up through the Carolinas.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 4,903 times
I posted this on another feed about the question of whether or not to move from Chicago to NC. The same concerns were presented. I say.......Live and let live no matter where you want to live. If we can all put our walls down and stop fearing that our neighbors will change us or we can change our neighbors it all will work out. We have felt welcomed in the South and the people we have met have celebrated our differences as we have also celebrated their differences. We have all taught each other something...opened each others eyes. In doing so it has further confirmed our beliefs even stronger, but in addition has allowed us to explore other ideas and beliefs as well. Shocker...we aren't always right? Shocker they aren't always right? Freedom to be...oh how that is great and you shouldn't have to stay stationed in one part of the country or another to stick to your beliefs. Celebrate it all and open up to understanding each other as humans first. I don't have to have the same beliefs and convictions as my neighbors...nor do they have to have mine. We show respect and hospitality and care for each other as neighbors should .....we show our children the same. We laugh about a lot and progress as humans when we learn and know more about everyone. Staying ignorant is not bliss. This is the world we live in and re-creating or over stressing dividing lines is something I never want to be a part of. If you are seeking a better opportunity whether it be for cost of living, to weather or better health care for your family...go for it! That is the beauty of this country that allows you the freedom to find a soft place to land if you can. Wherever that may be you should feel good about it. If you work hard you should not be ashamed to try to afford yourself a better life if you envision that in NC. Don't let anyone stop you from that. Come on down and stay a while. I know you will be okay. I know you will find a cranky yankee and a stubborn southerner... Give them a hug and move on because in between are a lot of wonderful people enjoying this land together! Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point