U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,407 times

Advertisements

My nephew tells a story about looking for work in North Carolina. His wife is an MD so they were in North Carolina for her residency. My nephew was born in New York State. He and his family moved to Alabama when he was 5 years old. He works in IT and interviewed with a company in North Carolina. He says he was rejected as a candidate because he was not really from the south (The employer said this to him). He was a Yankee.

Is this attitude still prevalent in North Carolina? How likely is it to find How difficult is it for a non-local person to become assimilated with the local community?

I'm asking because I'm interviewing with a company in the Greensboro area.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 AM

10,693 posts, read 11,333,530 times
I don't think that's a prevalent attitude anywhere. NC has a high percentage of people moving from the northeast to NC as well as folks moving to NC from California and elsewhere in the country and internationally. Sorry the folks at that company were jerks to your nephew, but no, it's not a prevalent attitude in NC. You will find some splashback in regards to folks who move to NC and then complain about how things were so much better where they came from, but if folks are friendly and good workers and good neighbors then I think they are welcomed by most North Carolinians.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,094,247 times
Thousands of people have relocated to NC from the "Yankee" states. That fact alone would suggest that either your nephew is pulling your leg, or he happened to encounter an extremely rare instance of discrimination by an idiot.

You should have no problems at all living in the Greensboro area.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,109,175 times
I haven't seen any "NYNA" signs in store windows.

I'm originally from New York, but I don't think have the stereotypical New Yorker demeanor - few know I'm from there. It has been 30 years since I lived in NY anyway; I moved to the west coast at 18, moved to NC at 40. I rarely (if ever) come across anything like this here in the Triad. I would expect to this anti-"Yankee" attitude to be more common in the more rural areas. We did encounter it some in Greenville, NC and surrounding areas, and heard from other "Yankees" that came across this type of attitude on occasion in and around Greenville. In general, I think if you're not obnoxious and don't act like you think you're better than locals, you'll be fine.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,669,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markglass View Post
My nephew tells a story about looking for work in North Carolina. .... He works in IT and interviewed with a company in North Carolina. He says he was rejected as a candidate because he was not really from the south (The employer said this to him). He was a Yankee.
Wouldn't that be illegal?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Wouldn't that be illegal?
I don't think "Yankees" are a protected class.

My wife interviewed for a job in southern Utah several years ago. They asked if she was Mormon. When she told them she wasn't, they told her they don't hire non-Mormons. While illegal, how are you going to prove in court that the person said that?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:24 PM

839 posts, read 1,041,629 times
It's hard to believe this actually happened. A 1/3 of the population is probably from the north east.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
In my experience as a retired Yankee in NC. I have applied for many part time low pay jobs in my area. I only applied for jobs that are low skill no stress(I am retired) but the only job offer I got was from an interviewer who was also a relocated Yankee. I stayed at that job until I was laid off because of seasonal slowdowns.
All the other jobs I applied for the interview was from a local.

I retired from my business making over six figures but In NC I can barely get an interview. I only apply for these jobs to get out of the house for a few hrs a day and I don't need the money so IMO many of these companies are losing out on an educated person willing to work for peanuts. So it's their loss not mine.

Bottom line IMO yes there is some discrimination of Yankees and or age discrimination. I am past 65 now.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
In my experience as a retired Yankee in NC. I have applied for many part time low pay jobs in my area. I only applied for jobs that are low skill no stress(I am retired) but the only job offer I got was from an interviewer who was also a relocated Yankee. I stayed at that job until I was laid off because of seasonal slowdowns.
All the other jobs I applied for the interview was from a local.

I retired from my business making over six figures but In NC I can barely get an interview. I only apply for these jobs to get out of the house for a few hrs a day and I don't need the money so IMO many of these companies are losing out on an educated person willing to work for peanuts. So it's their loss not mine.

Bottom line IMO yes there is some discrimination of Yankees and or age discrimination. I am past 65 now.
Off topic, but I'm sure there are a ton of volunteer opportunities if your goal is to get out of the house for a few hours a day.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:12 AM

28,539 posts, read 62,270,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Bottom line IMO yes there is some discrimination of Yankees and or age discrimination.
I am past 65 now.
This is known as an anecdote.

I'll submit that other universal to any location reasons for not hiring you (in particular)
need to be eliminated before throwing out the Yankee Discrimination card.

The most obvious of these being the over qualified for the MW job making a former executive or owner type A) likely to leave quickly B) will make management problems with expert type observations.
You can call that age discrimination but it really isn't.

Then of course there's the preference to hire someone who needs the job to support themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point