U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,696,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorofsynsky View Post
I don't think that is the answer because Triad residents also have trouble making decision at traffic intersections.

I think the poster above's idea that Greensboro residents lack the mental faculties to process information quickly is the answer. The question is whether it is due to poor schools or genetics.
I realize you are just trolling. However, is it your impression that all people who live in Greensboro were born here? Are you including my Michigan-born neighbors in your generalization? My Ohio-born neighbors?

Just because you are always in a hurry does not necessarily make you smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 AM

122 posts, read 167,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
However, is it your impression that all because you are always in a hurry does not necessarily make you smart.
I never said I thought smart people were always in a hurry. I do believe struggling with simple decisions is a problem in the Triad. Obviously, not everyone is afflicted. Your neighbors are probably exceptions.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:05 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
I don't think that is the answer because Triad residents also have trouble making decision at traffic intersections.

I think the poster above's idea that Greensboro residents lack the mental faculties to process information quickly is the answer. The question is whether it is due to poor schools or genetics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I realize you are just trolling. However, is it your impression that all people who live in Greensboro were born here? Are you including my Michigan-born neighbors in your generalization? My Ohio-born neighbors?

Just because you are always in a hurry does not necessarily make you smart.
Quote:
I never said I thought smart people were always in a hurry. I do believe struggling with simple decisions is a problem in the Triad. Obviously, not everyone is afflicted. Your neighbors are probably exceptions.
Going along with Sue's statement I wonder how you determine who it is ordering or behind the wheel be it a transplant or native. The ordering food part is probably pretty easy once you hear the person speak, but up to that point you have no way of knowing where the person might be from. The driving comment is completely asinine.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Going along with Sue's statement I wonder how you determine who it is ordering or behind the wheel be it a transplant or native. The ordering food part is probably pretty easy once you hear the person speak, but up to that point you have no way of knowing where the person might be from. The driving comment is completely asinine.
The overwhelming majority of people driving in an area the size of Triad with nc license plates, have lived there for more than a few years. Most people are not transient.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of people driving in an area the size of Triad with nc license plates, have lived there for more than a few years. Most people are not transient.
Transplants are defined as people not native to the state that reside here full time. Transients generally are those who are homeless and wander from area to area. With that being said upon becoming a resident of the state you are required to obtain a NC drivers license and register your vehicle with NC. This means you get a NC license plate just like the slow natives have.
So, while you're sitting there at the intersection muttering your disdain about the slow native not being able to decide left, right, backward, or forward keep in mind they just might have relocated here from your superior area.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Transient doesn't necessarily mean homeless. That's connotation that you're incorrectly assuming.

Transient - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Transient doesn't necessarily mean homeless. That's connotation that you're incorrectly assuming.

Transient - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
On the contrary, the definition supports my generalization. However it doesn't change the ignorant assumption that indecisive drivers with NC plates are NC natives.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:20 PM

I respectfully disagree. You're making an assumption that transients are generally homeless. Then, declaring it's unacceptable to assume that indecisive drivers with NC plates are generally from NC natives or long-time NC residents.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,017,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The problem is lack of the ability to think conceptually or abstractly or to project past experience into the presence and future. Many folks in NC, for a variety of reasons, are concrete thinkers. They have trouble equating symbols, variables, actually, anything, to something that is real, concrete.

Therefore, when they go to a fast food place, all the adverts and signs (symbols) don't translate to "things that can be ordered" until they can see them and taste them and smell them. Then some level of association takes place.

I wish this were just a NC thing, but it is pretty universal. It is really pretty pitiful.
If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've been), the Waffle House has pictures of the food on its menus. So... that's what bacon and eggs are supposed to look like----very enlightening indeed!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,336 times
Maybe it's because the fast food is killing their brain cells and making them sluggish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point